Midlands (England) Midlands Meetings & Events

M6Toll - my first drive

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2003, 04:01 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I spent this morning doing a bit of Xmas shopping in Solihull, and i decided to take "the long way home"

Driving up the M42 northbound, i continued onto the M6Toll at Dunton Island, and i was surprised how busy it was. OK, not busy in "New Labour's Integrated Transport Policy" terms, but you did have to move into lane three at times to overtake.

Sure, some of this was down to the CLOC (Centre Lane Owners Club), who probably hadn't noticed the signs for the toll road and were simply following the dotted white lines like sheep, but there were a fair few "sporty cars" as well.

Nobody was going at silly speeds (apart from the silver Porch(sp) who flew by me in excess of 100mph - whilst on the phone ), and it was a real pleasure to drive. Took me back twenty years or so, when motorways were indeed motor-ways!

But there was a down-side Just before T8 (the last exit before the M6 north), plod was waiting in his shiney volvo, with his even more shiney laser gun. Obviously Midland Expressway mistakenly built the road along an existing accident blackspot [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I came off at T8, and looped round back onto the M6Toll southbound.

This was much more fun

Until tomorrow, the M6 southbound can't join the toll road, so i had all three lanes for my exclusive use I did not meet a single other vehicle for 15 to 20 miles, and that was only due to the toll-booths causing a concertina effect. It is not very often that, during daylight hours, you have your own private road!

The chappy on the toll booth told me that a Porch(sp) has been nicked the other day doing 120mph. Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime hey (as in, probably a deserted three-lane motorway)

Oh, and one last thing...

If you want to get a bigger blast for your buck, join the M6Toll from the south (M6 or M42), drive up to the services at Norton Canes and pull off. You probably won't want to re-fuel as it is that BP Urinal stuff, but you can then exit the services southbound. So far, you haven't gone through a single toll-booth, and you won't for a further 10 miles or so. Ok, you will end up back where you started, but you will have managed 50-odd miles out of a 27 mile PAYG

mb
Old 21 December 2003, 01:17 AM
griffo
Scooby Newbie

I am told that there are speed distance cameras in the road signs set at approx 75-78mph so be careful!!!!
Old 21 December 2003, 02:10 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

griffo,

where did you hear this information? - because it is complete bollox!!!!

mb