Notices
Middlesex Subaru Owner's Club The Official Dedicated Forum For The Middlesex Subaru Owner's Club.

Congratulations!! You have a Broken Thermostat!! HOORAY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2013, 11:34 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congratulations!! You have a Broken Thermostat!! HOORAY!!!

All

Thought I'd report on the aftermath of the foolishness of last sundays meet and subsequent investigations on the old wagon.

So the symptom was that after I had taken Sergej out for the last blast I was blowing more oil out of the exhaust than the piper alpha oil rig fire and as we pulled in with the heater on max the air was cold as ice and the engine started to overheat rapidly.

Anyways after I left you guys and topped up the water it went home absolutely fine no overheating or fluid loss.

Started it midweek and there was a water leak from the bottom hose when it came up to temp dripping onto the floor- Still thinking it was pressurising and blowing out its water from a blown HG I resigned myself to a headgasket job- especially as it had burnt a load of oil too.

Today we did several things, we put an MOT gas analyser in the expansion tank (known as a sniff test) to see if there were hydrocarbons in the coolant those machines are so sensitive they can pick up if the coolant has had any hydrocarbon contamination which would point to a blown HG- ZERO Parts per million. So far so good, perhaps it hasn't blown an HG. removed the thermostat, checked it with a screwdriver - locked solid CLOSED!!!

Replaced with my £1 per degree centrigrade Zerosports Thermostat £70 worth of bloody thermostat and Totally okay. heated up, first one fan comes on then the second one. Temp checked the hoses with a snap on infrared gauge - 81c at the bottom hose 71c at the top hose - happy days.

Then thought - Hmm I haven't emptied the oil catch tank for while I wonder how full it is.........................full enough for the overflow pipe to be spraying the whole of the underneath of the wagon with oil so basically full to overflowing!! drained it and to be honest it was WAAAAAy overdue- we had over 2 litres of gloop and sludge in there!! the crankcase must have been pressurising like hell causing the oil burn.

Changed the oil again as the high heat cycle of the overheat would have done it no good at all.

So upshot is:

NO blown headgasket

Will be putting in diary reminders to empty catch tank

New Zerosports low temp thermostat (71c opening instead of around 81c) have to say these make a hell of a difference to the opening point of the thermostat.

took it out- caned the living daylights out of it

No oil burn

no overheating

Oil temp 95c

Castle Combe here we come!! YAY!!

Last edited by s100bey; 17 May 2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 17 May 2013, 11:40 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it was nothing major
Old 17 May 2013, 11:44 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Glad it was nothing major
Thanks Jonny Mac

These internet cookies are so devious- my pit of despair on sunday searching means that all the "advertising" I am getting bombarded with is that "steel seal" liquid headgasket!!

So we stay at 1.7bar and with our foot welded to the carpet
Old 17 May 2013, 11:49 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by s100bey
Thanks Jonny Mac

These internet cookies are so devious- my pit of despair on sunday searching means that all the "advertising" I am getting bombarded with is that "steel seal" liquid headgasket!!

So we stay at 1.7bar and with our foot welded to the carpet
Me too since I opened this thread

At least the **** ads have stopped for five minutes
Old 18 May 2013, 01:07 AM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

Glad its not majour Eddy
Old 18 May 2013, 08:19 AM
little'un
Scooby Regular

You need a catch can setup with a return to sump line - then you won't need to remember to empty it!
Old 18 May 2013, 03:47 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mantazini
Glad its not majour Eddy
Yeah thanks Mantas! I will owe you a carwash for the oil haze covering the front of Zie Uglybuglin that came out the back of my car you must have put your fogs on!!
Old 18 May 2013, 03:50 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little'un
You need a catch can setup with a return to sump line - then you won't need to remember to empty it!
The emulsified mess that belches into a catch can is never welcome back in my sump!! It looks like the shoreline of the gulf of mexico.
Old 18 May 2013, 04:37 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good news
As Lyn says a return to sump catch can is the answer. Most of the sludge will still stay in and around the bottom of the catch can. Also it is far worse to have crankcase pressure build and also having an unknown quantity of oil in the engine, especially when hooning it! Just do regular oil changes and fit a return to sump with AN10 fittings e.g.

Ps I saw you drive off at P1 supercharge Sunday but I was too slow to run upto your car!!
Old 18 May 2013, 07:01 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s100bey
The emulsified mess that belches into a catch can is never welcome back in my sump!! It looks like the shoreline of the gulf of mexico.
I wouldn't worry about that - its only moisture, and most of it is created as your motor cools down and draws it in from the atmosphere.

When running and up to temperature, the oil boils any moisture straight off.

It's only an issue if you do lots of short journeys in the car...
Old 19 May 2013, 09:18 AM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Nice one Ed, I wasn't looking forward to being overtaken by the Diesel wagon at Castle Combe
Old 19 May 2013, 06:20 PM
a5h
Scooby Regular

Good to hear Ed a HG replacement would of been a big problem. Role on Castle Comb! Looking forward to seeing videos from the track day hooning!
Old 19 May 2013, 09:40 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little'un
I wouldn't worry about that - its only moisture, and most of it is created as your motor cools down and draws it in from the atmosphere.

When running and up to temperature, the oil boils any moisture straight off.

It's only an issue if you do lots of short journeys in the car...
Yes its all proper theory on these catch tanks - Unfortuneately I just didn't get round to welding a return boss on the sump so I don't have even have the option currently. I change the oil every 1500-2000 miles as the old meth does tend to give it a harder time.

Of course engine heat Vs water evaporation is a no brainer- I didn't think the theory through enough when we put this motor in. I was stuck in Latte/Gulf of mexico shoreline mode. I'm getting a Group N sump so will weld the appropriate return facility on. Ricky I found the thread from "the voices" where this was debated at length so thanks for the steer from you both. I just need to be more finicky on pre-hoon checking. Also with 265 yoko AD08s all round we are going to be filling that catch tank at coombe, so checking levels after every session will be order of the day.

so thanks for all the good
Old 19 May 2013, 09:42 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Nice one Ed, I wasn't looking forward to being overtaken by the Diesel wagon at Castle Combe
Hahaha! I don't think the old soot wagon would have got the best of the Budgiemobile to be honest.

I'll be bringing the go-pro so we can get some decent perspective shots of the proceedings......

Hip hooray!!
Old 19 May 2013, 09:43 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

You can get a sump nut that includes the correct thread for a return feed rather than weld a return on to the sump - just need to get the correct length of hose and generally an AN10 connection. That's what I'm planning for my return pipe anyway
Old 19 May 2013, 09:45 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Happy to hear we are all still on for this one Ed
Had mine cleaned today in readiness for the event
Old 19 May 2013, 09:58 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Budgie
Happy to hear we are all still on for this one Ed
Had mine cleaned today in readiness for the event
did that have anything to do with the corporate "attire" of the cleaning staff.........

Hope lots of cash was raised!
Old 19 May 2013, 10:01 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
You can get a sump nut that includes the correct thread for a return feed rather than weld a return on to the sump - just need to get the correct length of hose and generally an AN10 connection. That's what I'm planning for my return pipe anyway
Aha!! You don't know if they are properly baffled in the base of the sump like the RCM ones that Lateral and RCM do you?
Old 19 May 2013, 10:07 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

I'm running this on a standard sump, only planning on about half the power of yours
Old 21 May 2013, 07:17 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

good news , i thought it was game over when we were at the shops filling it up with water , glad to hear it will make coombe you should have fun.

that fecking wagon trapped me in the back in the seatbelt and it wouldnt release lol i was choking

looking forward to the next hoon

mags
Old 21 May 2013, 10:02 PM
s100bey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
good news , i thought it was game over when we were at the shops filling it up with water , glad to hear it will make coombe you should have fun.

that fecking wagon trapped me in the back in the seatbelt and it wouldnt release lol i was choking

looking forward to the next hoon

mags
he he he it is known as the Irish Weasel Trap it only traps Shamrocks, Hoonigans and Leprechauns

your face was sooo funny!!

"I'm trapped in this seatbelt I cant move!! I cant breathe!! Help!!"