Notices
Middlesex Subaru Owner's Club The Official Dedicated Forum For The Middlesex Subaru Owner's Club.

forester, Legacy, or WRXSTI Wagons?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2015, 03:49 PM
Frankie5bellies
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question forester, Legacy, or WRXSTI Wagons?

I am now confused.....

I am trying to down size my garage from two to one -- and I need the one to be able to take over the other two, no matter how different.

I thought first the wrxsti turbo wagon would suit - I am replacing a Porsche 944 Turbo and a Suzi Jimny 4x4, and want one motor to do all they can do...combined.

The Subaru 4wd chassis and engines are the obvious choice - but now I have seen a Forester and a big Legacy wagon with super powers....

Am I right in thinking I could have 4wd fun and turbo acceleration too with the Forester??

What are the main differences ?????
Old 26 January 2015, 06:00 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impreza wrx & Lebacy GT would be similar-ish.
Impreza Sti would be faster & more capable in performance.
Forester will probably be more practical.

Above is a sweeping generalisation. The problem is that there have been so many different versions / special editions (JDM only & UK) over the years that the boundaries are blurred between certain models. You will have to look a lot more specifically between models and their special variations.

E.g. A 2007 Legacy Spec B / RSK had a proper AWD diff with mechanical LSD and proper Sti gearbox but a 2010 Legacy Gt is not as hardcore. A UK Impreza Wrx is very different to a JDM Impreza Sti. A JDM Forester Sti is very different to a std Euro Forester.... etc etc

I think you will really have to spend a while researching & narrowing down depending on your requirements.

Last edited by rickya; 26 January 2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 26 January 2015, 06:12 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Budget?
Old 27 January 2015, 09:41 AM
Frankie5bellies
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys -- I am looking to buy a 2005 year, but am between two stools re which Subaru to go for......the forester seems more practical ....... but the Impreza is iconic ...... and so on... Budget about £5k
Old 27 January 2015, 12:10 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

The legacy is the biggest inside, the forester has a slightly higher roof but slightly shorter, the imp wagons are a lot less paractical in my eyes as you have a lift over tailgate panel rather than a fully flat access deck.

Deciding factors in my mind.

-Budget (you could get something proper banza for anywhere between £1500 and about £10000)
-How rugged and capable do you need it? (how much mud did the jimny see?)

We have a 2001 forester and a 2005 2.0 legacy. The forester sees proper off road and sticky gateways, but if it was just flat fields then the legacy would do fine.

If performance is a must then theres some spicy import legacy's to look for (wr twin scroll for example), but standard foresters aren't exactly dynamic without changing suspension out, in which case it ends up as low as a legacy anyway with very compromised suspension geometry.

If budget stretches then the best of both worlds would be a forester sti (these will hold theyre value very well for a long time yet so good spend and are surprisingly capable on tarmac).
Old 27 January 2015, 12:24 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/03-03-SUBA...item48791ad80b

If the budget was £7k! :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-54pla...item463251e9e1