VF34 Bugeye WRX

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2013, 01:08 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VF34 Bugeye WRX

Afternoon all!

I picked up my 2001 WRX a couple of weekends ago - the drive back from Caerphilly was worth it

VF34 turbo, HKS SSQV, Walbro fuel pump, Magnex decat, Blitz Nurspec, Drilled/grooved discs and Red stuff pads with Goodridge braided hoses, K&N cone filter which disappears off into the wheelarch , Prodrive 18" alloys, HKS Hipermax coilies and dyno printout to show 313hp at the flywheel - bit of a step up from my previous Ford KA daily

I've managed to break it already though - I've had to order a new Exedy Stage 1 clutch. Oops! At least the gearbox hasn't gone (at least I hope from the symptoms..)

I also find that in the top end it seems to run out of steam a bit - is this just the gearing? Come to think of it the clutch may have been slipping too.. I know obviously the Impreza is a rally-bred car so probably geared for acceleration rather than high speeds but I feel like it could do with just a little more power It's just nice to know that you've got the power for the occasions when the mood takes you.

Definitely need to adjust the coilovers next as they're dropped all the way and set to the stiffest dampening setting, so it rides like a bugger and knocks with people in the back. Why you'd do that to a Scooby I don't know! Try to put the power down on a corner or a bumpy road and you either skip all over the place or get air haha. Despite the upgraded brakes I still don't think that they inspire confidence, although this may just be my perception of the brake feel due to the braided lines - I only just kept up with my mate's DC2 on a twisty country drive the other night, although this could be because I hardly know the car yet so was cacking it a bit

Next up I'm going to be making an aluminium air box and piping, but where would be the best place to collect air from?! Also, would it be worth upgrading to STI pink injectors?

As you probably guessed from the name I also own a 1990 MR2 with Rev3 turbo engine (very long term project) but I'm on IMOC if you want to know more about that

Old 10 November 2013, 01:45 PM
wiley
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nice wheels on the mr2

wiley
Old 10 November 2013, 03:05 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal, 17" 9j et 10 front 11J et12 rears Works Anhelo Equips
Old 10 November 2013, 07:42 PM
lofty35
Scooby Regular

Nice bugeye mate, any pics of engine bay ?
Old 10 November 2013, 08:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't look too shabby
Old 10 November 2013, 09:21 PM
EssexJamie
Scooby Regular

Lovely looking MR2 that loved mine when I had it!
Impreza looks good as well, don't be disappointed about only just keeping up with a DC2 Teg on the twisties there a really good handling car....my DC2 was so good in the back roads.
Old 10 November 2013, 10:49 PM
Mr.Two
Scooby Regular

I'll get some pics of the engine bay tomorrow, but it really ain't much to look at yet! Lots of oxidised aluminium.. I need to get the alt, intake mani etc. off to clean it all up and probably powder coated. I really like the look of the stock bay, but I also like to mess with everything - so I'll probably end up making something similar to the Lathe Werks alt cover and a radiator top cover plate. Also I've seen a very reasonably priced set of silicone pipes on Ebay which I'm definitely considering - surely cost doesn't matter? A pipe's a pipe lol http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Imp...item1e81aa6662

Don't think I'll ever let the MR2 go, spent too much effort and time on it and still hardly driven it yet the engine started knocking 3 days into her debut on the road, the day before we were due to head off across Europe on 2000 mile roadtrip

I do like the DC2, and it does seem to have never-ending grip even in the wet! They're certainly tempting, especially with how much time I'm now spending at the local Shell garage... I never could've imagined how bad the fuel economy would be - but you don't buy an Impreza for that I guess so I'm just having to make exceptions and cut back on everything else

It's pretty mad how every car I've been in feels SO SLOOOOOOOW now. Even my friend's B18 EK Civic . Boost all the way!