Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Waterless valeting! whats your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2011, 09:48 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Waterless valeting! whats your thoughts?

I am looking at starting up a new business in the waterless valeting scene.
Reason i am looking at the waterless style is, i was a previous owner of a concours RS Turbo series 1 custom which never saw rain hence never saw a water wash and was always detailed without water by myself.
The benefits of waterless valeting is you have no van which means no van insurance, no carrying water and no risks of van break ins.
Waterless systems spray the panel and wipe with a microbfibre cloth after the chemical has emulsified the dirt and is lifted off without scratching the panel, and everything else can be done in line with a full valet inc interior hoovering etc as the size of generator needed will be much smaller to run a wet n dry vac, porter cable etc as opposed to a pressure washer which uses approx 200 litres of water per car per wash that all goes down our drains full of chemicals not to mention the weather we are up against in winter where you spray the car with water and it instantly freezes on the car and causes skid pans which are dangerous.
waterless gets no chemicals on the driveway and the results are outstanding and i do it to my car every time i clean it.
I am looking at this as a business venture and wanted everyones feedback pros and cons for and against water washes to waterless.
It is an alien concept to people cleaning there car without water but all the concours car owners use this method for shows etc and it is eco friendly.i am looking for votes for water against waterless.
Old 04 August 2011, 09:54 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good in principal but think you would need some evidence of how good it is and that it doesn't cause any damage to paint, think like most people I am always worried about claims and like evidence before I try it on my own car, pity we don't have a hosepipe ban though as that could make a difference

Last edited by daz1968; 04 August 2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:10 PM
ScoobyStu82
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a good idea but also expensive as a customer? What would you be charging?

Iv got 2 close friends who both own time served valeting companies and are both really struggling as people are feeling the pinch and not wanting to spend their hard earned on such luxuries

It's not a service I would personally use as I enjoy cleaning/detailing my car myself but Im sure there's a market out there somewhere

Good luck if you go ahead with it
Old 04 August 2011, 10:27 PM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

I checked this out on US sites and would not let my car near it.
My car is on certain stands throughout each year so I am always looking at different options.

If the car has dust and small particles on it (which I dare say it will) it's logic to wash off first and not rub it in after a spray?.

It sounds a good idea but I will eat my dog if it does not leave swirls mate.
Old 04 August 2011, 10:30 PM
SCOOBYOLS46
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge
My car is on certain stands throughout each year so I am always looking at different options.

If the car has dust and small particles on it (which I dare say it will) it's logic to wash off first and not rub it in after a spray?.

thats what i thought what ever next , thats like having a shower without any water
Old 04 August 2011, 11:18 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Before biting the bullet and starting up a mobile valeting business, what is the best way to generate business so you have a regular income as i would be leaving my secure job so want to be safe in the knowledge that i am paying my bills etc. i dont want to be door knocking and cold calling businesses all the time to get business as i could spend all day doing this and get no work,. how do you secure contracts and whats in the content of the contracts for regular work and best places to pitch for the contracts and best ways and places to advertise etc any advice will be appreciated,.
Old 04 August 2011, 11:19 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SkullFudge

I used to use a blower and a compressor to blow the dust particles off my concours show car and never once did i let water on it to get ingressed and cause rust in places where it seeped and were difficult access to dry off.
Old 05 August 2011, 12:50 AM
shanew
Scooby Regular

from being involved with car care products and speaking to detailers and concourse car owners most would not let the waterless cleaners near their car. Even the reps on the meguires stand at modified nationals said they dont like the stuff but they have to have one to match the competitors
Old 05 August 2011, 07:02 AM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Also agree with most no way would I use it, how would you wash a car that has seen 2/3 weeks of dirt in winter? It needs water simple
Old 05 August 2011, 07:35 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Not good for the paint or the car in general. I help run a small detailing business and even quick detailing cars that have driven to shows makes me cringe. the swirls it makes and al it would take is a small stone to be picked up from a seal in the microfibre and you've suddenly got a huge scratch on a panel.
Old 05 August 2011, 08:21 AM
timmyajmy93wrx
Scooby Regular

makes me cringe sorry, no matter what 'chemical' they put in the waterless spray, it will not be as good as a rinse & a 2 bucket method wash with a proper wash mit. The scratches it will leave (even if only light) will definately be there. no matter on the quality of microfiber you will use. I just would not entertain the idea.
In principal its a great idea, but realistically i have friends try to use this stuff & which i get a phone call with a request to polish the scratches out of it & to wash it properley as they only had 1 or 2 clothes to wipe the dirt off with so it still was not very clean.

I would have thought someone who likes to have their car detailed, they have the money to have it done properley & would expect it to be done properley
sorry to put a downer on it, if you have a good wipe on wipe off cleaner & you feel confident it can do the job, go for it. Personally i would not.

the only people i can see interested in this is the folks who do not 'understand' the washing/polishing process & are after a quick fix. If you are machine polishing it after you 'dry washed it' i would have thought you are creating more work for yourself by adding to the paints imperfections. You also need to clay it before polishing & i presume that the dry wash would leave a lot more dirt on the vehicles surface & hence you will use a lot more clay bar to clean it.

You seem to know how to clean a car if you are doing concours cars etc, but you will find it very hard to convince a lot of people that waterless is as good. But also concours cars do not see the everyday road dirt & grime & bad weather, so the concours cars will be a lot easier to make look good regardless of what you use.

Last edited by timmyajmy93wrx; 05 August 2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05 August 2011, 09:44 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I've heard alot about these waterless cleaners but I'm still not convinced. I wouldn't use it on my wifes car and certainly not my scoob.
Old 05 August 2011, 11:09 AM
SkullFudge
Scooby Regular

FordRSRick I didn.t mean to put you on a downer mate but I know a fair few guys that have shown an interest in the commencing of a detailing / car cleaning venture and all failed other than one.

Ive spent much money on my car and the only guy I will let near the thing is a friend who does detailing. To give you an idea he lives & breathes detailing, and has been on many courses including that guy that charges 5K for detailing supercars for wealthy clients.

I leave my car with him and 32 hours and £ 250 later the result is amazing !
He never touches the car through the washing / cleaning & drying stages.
Colour matched waxes and hours on polishing wheels results in the car looking like glass.
When I collect it there isn't one swirl in sight and it looks totally stunning.

Check out detailingworld.co.uk as he done a feature on my P1 that includes many photos.
His name is Dazzler82 .

All the best with your venture Rick and I wish you all the best mate.

Last edited by SkullFudge; 05 August 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05 August 2011, 04:31 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go on Detaling World, do a search for ONR.
I personally would use the above for a quick show clean but nothing IMO beats a mitt and bucket.
Old 12 August 2011, 03:12 PM
fordrsrickc
Scooby Regular

Been on detailing world joined and now attending courses across the north for detailing and decided against waterless detailing. Thanks for all the input