Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Brake Service

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2011, 02:36 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Service

Against my better judgement, as it pi$$ed down all morning, I decided to do a front brake service on my 06 Hawkeye. I ended up saturated, but got the whole job done in a couple of hours including coffee and smoke breaks.

I'll replace fluid and bleed the system when I've done the rears in a week or two. I replaced pads, cleaned caliper seals and pistons, shims, pins and the inner disc guards. Once everything was spotless, I put on new discs, re fitted the calipers and fitted new pads. A quick clean around all the bits I can't get at with the wheels on, then re fitted the wheels and took the car for a spin to get the bedding in started.

Total outlay £113.00 + a tube of copper grease. Well chuffed with the discs which are in the pattern I wanted and coated with a very durable black which obviously wears off the braking surface after a few miles leaving the rest of the disc looking neat and protected.

I got the parts from MTEC brakes, with free, fast delivery after chatting with the fella on the phone who was extremely helpful and is available by phone until 6.30 in the evenings which is a great help when I'm working all week and don't get home until six. Already noticing an improvement so look forward to how they'll be once fully bedded in.

Last edited by awdx4; 26 February 2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 02:48 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Great job mate
Have you had the rear discs off yet? I might be having a go with mine in the summer but was a little put off due to the hand brake shoes in the middle of them
Old 26 February 2011, 02:55 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, not had rears off yet, but will post when I do. I don't anticipate too much hassle with the rears aside from having more behind them that will need a clean while the rotors are off, and remembering that I'll not have the handbrake to rely on when jacking up the car. A few taps with a copper mallet should see them free or winding bolts through the threaded holes in the rotors. I'm an optimist lol.
Old 26 February 2011, 03:12 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£113 for discs and pads!!!....

Saying that they are'nt Brembo's so smaller = cheaper, i paid a touch more, with Kevlar pads but you got a great price there.....I done mine about a month ago, rewarding quick and simple job, great stuff...
Old 26 February 2011, 04:54 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

hmmm,i ordered some of those cheap discs from mtec and after a few months they were very rusty and braking wasnt very good,hope yours stay ok!
Old 26 February 2011, 06:23 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
hmmm,i ordered some of those cheap discs from mtec and after a few months they were very rusty and braking wasnt very good,hope yours stay ok!
I hope they do too , I did a fair bit of reading through various owners club forums prior to ordering and found the majority of posts in respect of the discs to be very positive. If I get any problems with them I'll certainly flag it up, they'll get some stick when the weather is a bit better so I'll get an idea of how they are soon enough.

thanks

Tim
Old 26 February 2011, 07:12 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Good job mate.

I did mine a few weeks ago.

Had no issues at all, the back discs came of easy with two bolts through the holes to force the disc from the hub, very easy.

The handbrake shoes are pretty small and should not give you any issues.

I got custom discs and bluestuff NDX pads, the braking has been transformed to say the least.
Old 26 February 2011, 07:14 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
£113 for discs and pads!!!....

Saying that they aren't Brembo's so smaller = cheaper, i paid a touch more, with Kevlar pads but you got a great price there.....I done mine about a month ago, rewarding quick and simple job, great stuff...
Did you have any problems with removal of the rear discs?
Old 26 February 2011, 07:16 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby1975
Good job mate.

I did mine a few weeks ago.

Had no issues at all, the back discs came of easy with two bolts through the holes to force the disc from the hub, very easy.

The handbrake shoes are pretty small and should not give you any issues.

I got custom discs and bluestuff NDX pads, the braking has been transformed to say the least.
That's good to know cheers
What size bolt did you use? does it come with the new discs?
Old 26 February 2011, 07:23 PM
Scooby1975
Scooby Regular

Was a couple of M8 bolts from memory mate, did not come with the discs but I have most size of bolts in my shed Just get a couple from b and q, just makes sure they are a decent length (60mm or so), will only be a few pence and will save you a lot of hassle. I just tightened one at a time, went betwen the two of them so to tighten the top a bit then the bottom then repeat if that makes any sense. Took a few minutes with a socket but no hassles.
Old 26 February 2011, 07:39 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Thats great info mate cheers
Old 26 February 2011, 07:48 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys, good to see some useful info on the thread in respect of doing the rears. That's one of the great things about this place, a wealth of knowledge built on personal experiences.
Old 26 February 2011, 08:29 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Did you have any problems with removal of the rear discs?

None at all mate, done all 4 corners in 2 hrs on a troller jack.....HIGHLY recommend Ian Godney at Godspeed, nice guy, does a good deal for SNET USERS, and i paid 18:00 One night, had them the next day at about noon.....SUPERB.

p.s.

I your going to use the scissor jack that comes with the car, put the wheel or something under the car....i have heard of some nasty accidents with cars rocking back n forth on scissor jacks....

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 26 February 2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 26 February 2011, 08:57 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I your going to use the scissor jack that comes with the car, put the wheel or something under the car....i have heard of some nasty accidents with cars rocking back n forth on scissor jacks....[/QUOTE]

Didn't no you cared cheers mate.
Old 04 March 2011, 10:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job
Old 05 March 2011, 07:28 AM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Great job
Cheers mate, only had them on the car a week now which I only get to drive mainly weekends, so not fully bedded in yet but the exposed braking surface has stayed pretty mint in comparison to the discs I removed. They'd have been a lovely shade of rust by this morning. I do plan to give some honest feedback in respect of these discs having read the comment further up which mentions a rust issue with discs from where I got mine. I did pay the extra for them being heat treated and coated in a very durable black finish including the cast vents so fingers crossed