Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

The Phoenix...

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2010, 06:42 PM
Tim(e)
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Phoenix...(2004 STi)

Well, Its definitely not a Renault! A Big step for me as up to now I've been Renault mad having owned a MK1 172, A MK2 172 Cup, A MK3 197 in red, A MK1 Clio V6 and currently a MK3 White 197 as you all know.

Anyway I swapped the V6 this back in January to a dealer in London, with no cash exchanged. Considering this car was marketed at £10K and I paid £10K for the V6 4 years ago I think I did ok! Would have loved to have kept the V6 in a garage as it really was MINT and rare, but I had had my fun with it and was time to move on. The day to day running and practicalities of owning a 2 seat sports car with no storage space were no good for a family. I miss the V6 as it was MINT and should really have gone to a garage as its a classic already!

I debated whether to stick 2 new rear tyres on the V6 for the journey as the ones that were on it were negative bald. I'm glad we did!

A friend came over with me to get it. We fought the extremely bad weather from Stranraer to London in the V6 on the way down tanked up with Red Bull and brought this back.

Its a low mileage (for its age) Black Mica WRX STI with a carbon inspired interior trim and 3 inch decat custom exhaust and rear silencer.

Big thanks to Chris from SQ Design for all his help. What a true Gentleman! The timing belt got replaced, new tyres, new pads and some panel/paint correction. The previous owner had a few run ins with shopping trolleys and the like I suspect...

Having never owned or driven a forced induction car I have to say on the power front I find this one quite impressive...(6)

However, if Im honest my track prepped 197 would run rings around it on the twisties and I don't find the handling or braking of the STI confidence inspiring at all.

I cannot get used to the brakes though. In the 197 with HEL Goodridge lines fitted to the standard 4 pot Brembos when you even feather the stop pedal the car stops very aggressively. It does have Clio Cup race car Ferrodo pads fitted as well though. But with the scoob I really have to push down hard to get stopped and it doesn't inspire spirited driving and definitely not in the wet. I can feel my ABS kicking in all the time? Any suggestions?

I would have thought the big brembos would have had amble stopping power? Maybe its just the fact the wee 197 is so light and sharp.

Happy with it despite the faults. Black / gold paint looks beautiful when clean, and love the black on black evil stealth combo...(H)

I've debadged the rear and fitted some new front and rear JDM STI badges. Also fitted a set of genuine STI interior mats, some aero wipers, an HKS panel filter, STI splitter, rear corner spats and a Walbro 255 litre fuel pump to set me up for the next round of mods! (H)

I had every dent taken out at SERE lisburn by Dent master who did a flawless job! There must have been over 20 dents! £100 all in!

Alos fitted a Vortex roof spoiler from the US. Not everyone likes these but its a 9 fin one which I think looks the best.

I then removed the resonator box from the inner wing to give a smoother easier airflow.

I fitted Tein springs 2 weeks ago with a geo set up by Ali Burrows which has really sharpended up the understerry/boaty handling. He also discovered an oil leak from my sump bung which had a missing washer and was leaking oil onto the manifold/exhaust which was smoking. Couldn't figure out why until then! At least nothing serious!

Yesterday I did the de-tango mod however I baked my headlights at the worng temp and have a small burn mark on the left side one. Nothing a carefully placed S3ene sticker wont sort! Took me 4 hours. I thought the finish wasnt great but when I pieced the lights back together and rebaked it it looks quite good. I can always respray again if I can be ****d.

I also sorted the annoying drivers side seatbelt squeak by filing off the raised seams on the inside and swapped the brake and rear lights around for a nice JDM look.

Some small spacers, an offset jap style plate for the front, a WR1 grill sprayed black and a turbo up-pipe from Harvey Scott is next on the cards. I went down to the group buy on Tuesday to meet the guys and Simon. Everyone was very friendly. Simon diagnosed the car and was able to tell me it hadn't been mapped before and was running ok but the ignition advance was being retarded to 8 slightly. He advised to run NF octane boost until I get it mapped by him when he is over next....

Needs a damn good detail to make the paint shine and to protect it over winter. I bought a Megs G220 but not sure how to use it so if anyone wants to help me or show me...!?

Sorry for the long write up...

Here's a few snaps I took about 2 months ago at the farm on the trusty iphone...:$

and spent today spraying and fitting my WR1 upper and lower grills! What a difference these make to the front end.

Vortex roof spoiler...

Detango'd headlights

Last edited by Tim(e); 12 September 2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12 September 2010, 07:06 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Wow what a write up . Lovely car mate and a great pic of the rear end in the six to last photo

Last edited by martin850; 13 September 2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12 September 2010, 07:30 PM
skeeter
Scooby Regular

I have owned my STi for about month and when I first got it I found the handling quite unnerving.

I posted a thread about it feeling 'floaty' and not as stuck to the road as I had expected. However, I have now got used to it and I think it handles quite well.

I dont drive as fast as in my previous car, but because this car is more 'raw' it feels faster.

As for the brakes, mine feel very strong and progressive so I wonder if you have a problem?

S