Pic/Advice request IC Spray.

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2010, 07:08 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Pic/Advice request IC Spray.

Hi All

Fitted an STI V5 intercooler to my early classic RA this week, it had the rubbish slanty on previously.

But a bit stuck on ideas for remounting my water spray nozzles

Ive had to remove the original undertray as it directed air to only half of the new cooler. I bought, and tried fitting, the facelift tray but struggled lining it all up, so sacked that idea.

So basically, I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their creations? Pics showing where you've made little brackets ect to mount the nozzles, where do they spray ect (sprays onto the fins of the bonnet vent with original tray, to spread the water) Or do i get rid of it all, in favour of "lightweight"

Heres how it was, when i got it

How it is now, after a few bits, bobs and paint

Thanks in advance
Old 17 April 2010, 08:21 PM
MovingShadow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks a lot neater and 100 times better for it.
Old 18 April 2010, 08:25 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks much better

Can't help with your problem though I'm afraid
Old 18 April 2010, 04:40 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

i've just fitted an STI8 cooler to my P1, i also had a new undertray made but the spray nozzles would of been no good mounted to it, so i fixed them to each corner of the intercooler itself

cheers mark

Last edited by maps; 18 April 2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 18 April 2010, 04:46 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments, i thought it looked good before but have to agree its tonnes better now.

My mates Dad is sorting me out with some brackets to support the IC so it will sit a lot straighter

Iv now attached the ic spray hose with a zip tie to the strut brace, its functional but doesnt spread the water enough. I think im just gonna make some brackets that point up into the bonnet vent as they do with the tray. Maybe even cut down the original tray (dont think a slanty RA bonnet tray is worth all that much?)

Whats the thoughts on ditching it? I just like the idea of having it, as daft as it sounds its one of those extras people ask you about too.
Old 18 April 2010, 04:49 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maps
i've just fitted an STI8 cooler to my P1, i also had a new undertray made but the spray nozzles would of been no good mounted to it, so i fixed them to each corner of the intercooler itself

cheers mark
thanks Mark

Iv thought about doing that too looks great that way (very OEM)

Quick question, do your IC spray jets spray a mist? Mine just spray like windscreen washers, straight line of water like a water pistol lol
Old 18 April 2010, 05:09 PM
maps
Scooby Regular

mine spray a fan of mist, theres no doubt the cooler is getting more water coverage now, easy to fit them there aswell, just drill the right size hole

sounds like your jets are windscreen washer jets, if so i'd look at getting the proper intercooler spray jets, as you only need a mist

mark

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2010, 05:33 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

When i fitted a v6 sti tmic to my 95 classic, i fitted a new bonnet, along with the v6 undertray, a little mod on the rubber skirt, and lined up fine.
I take it you have the pre facelift bonnet?
Is it really worth having the water spray?
Old 18 April 2010, 06:11 PM
DDS789
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maps
mine spray a fan of mist, theres no doubt the cooler is getting more water coverage now, easy to fit them there aswell, just drill the right size hole

sounds like your jets are windscreen washer jets, if so i'd look at getting the proper intercooler spray jets, as you only need a mist

mark
Mines pre facelift, the jets are original IC spray one just designed to spray onto the bonnet vent fins to spread the spray, gonna look into picking a set of newer jets up i think, thanks for letting me know.

MIT: Yes Pre facelift bonnet hence my troubles lol. Would like to do a facelift but my funds all dissapeared into a forged engine but as im now skint!

Agree on the IC sprays worth too. May just strip it out, im in the mood for lightness after stripping my boot out and painting it all up . I suppose i could sell the whole lot including the tray then. I also dont feel ill be pushing the car (bhp wise) far enough to actually warrent having it and if i did go that far id front mount it. May get the spanners out now