STI V4 type R

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2009, 09:17 PM
andy_s37
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI V4 type R

I got my car about 7 weeks ago

I'd had it about a week and noticed it was losing water. I arranged to take it back and kept ontop of the water level with minimal use but in the mean time the engine started to knock lightly!!!!! I took it back as arranged and left it with them. They gave me an Astra GSI tur(d)bo.

The guy drove it round for a few days and concluded that the engine was knocking. ****ing genius! He also managed to completely write off one of the PFF7's the car came with and damaged another on a raised man hole. He offered to replace them with a new set of alloys so I went for some ROTA torques in a 17" so the car would handle better. He also asked me if I wanted to take the opportunity to do any other mods while the engine was out.....

This was accompanied by a SS induction kit and 3" decat downpipe.

They found a 39,000 mile STI4 engine with new bearings in it that came with a 6 month warranty, it took forever to arrive (as did my new wheels) but it went in and they STARTED to fit the intercooler. I got a phone call saying that the pipework wouldnt fit so I went up there, there were a few small issues so I took the kit away and told them to get it back to me with the TMIC back on it, luckinly they hadn;t really done a great deal. I got it back about a week later on the Thursday before the last bank holiday.

I finished nights on the Saturday morning, had a couple of hours sleep and then fitted some Tein lowering springs that dropped it about 25-30mm

Sunday was Dad and Lad day, break out the dremmel.........

We got the intercooler fitted and the bumper cut. The 2 pipes from the cooler were fitted but it wasnt piped into the engine yet as I want to run the car as I got it back for a few weeks so that they couldnt **** me off if I had a problem with it. The monday was spent with Andrew Carr (A MASSIVE thanks to him as it was the bank holiday, also thanks to his wife for letting him play out ) having a SIMTEK ECU fitted as I wanted it mapped for the decat, filter and 99 octane fuel.

Today I have changed the oil (600 miles on the "new engine") for Millers 10w60 fully synthetic. I'm still not 100% happy as I think that the turbo may need some attention in the near future. I guess that just opens the door for a TD0520G, 550's and a Walbro fuel pump before I pipe the intercooler in and get it remapped. Also I want to get a little bit of paint work done that I am not happy with and replace the morettes for clear standard H/Ls, but thats going to have to wait until funds will permit.

Comments welcome.

Last edited by andy_s37; 03 June 2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03 June 2009, 09:39 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car looks nice shame about the shakey start to your ownership hope it all goes well for you