Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

My Legacy with it's new boots!

Search this Thread

Old 03 January 2002, 12:43 AM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my chariot with the new 17" Hypers I just got from Elite (after a hideous 6 week wait), the offset was way out so the rear arches are now on good terms with my hammer but at least the tyres may last a while now!

Good?/Bad? let me know!

[Edited by Legacy RS - 3/1/2002 12:46:53 AM]
Old 01 March 2002, 02:02 AM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Excellent

How much power does the RS have?
Old 01 March 2002, 09:08 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lookin' good!

I take it that the RS is a Jap import... (Judging from the detailing, etc).

Legacies-a-go-go round here lately, huh?
Old 01 March 2002, 09:14 AM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

It's 220BHP, and yes it's an import. It's an '89 before I think they had Legacies elsewhere. Bargain for £2200 anyway!!!!
Old 01 March 2002, 01:32 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Very nice. I like the chrome door handles. I think the Legacy RS has an early version of the STi engine, and the RS was used by the Subaru rally team before the Impreza arrived. See below:

James
Old 01 March 2002, 01:45 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Cheers Dude!

Legacies were rallied by Bertie Fisher and I think Colin McRae too although I'm not sure they both used the RS - you'll notice from your pics that the RS spoiler is missing which seems an unusual step for a rally car but I'm only guessing!

The RS uses an EJ20G engine which is very similar to the impreza one although the Legacy runs a bigger turbo which may at first sound promising but in reality it makes the car a good deal slower to respond than the Impreza. It still goes pretty good though and - certainly with the RS - it's a rather uncommon car in the UK unlike Imprezas which are now pretty much ten a penny (not that I wouldn't have one of course)!
Old 01 March 2002, 01:46 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

How about this for a better piccy. Just had to put my initials on it

Old 01 March 2002, 01:49 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Talking

And then there is also this one:

Old 02 March 2002, 01:24 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

This is my Legacy Turbo

James
Old 03 March 2002, 07:37 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

anyone know where i can find more rallying pics of the legacy on the net?
looked everywhere, but no luck!

thanks

ian
Old 03 March 2002, 08:40 PM
ejicon
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

car looks awesome... JCM7611, would like to see more picx.
-Ells
Old 03 March 2002, 09:05 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Can I join in?

Old 03 March 2002, 11:25 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Smile

The more, the merrier!! Keep 'em coming Legacy Fans - let's show the Impreza guys where it actually began!
Old 03 March 2002, 11:35 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

legacy pete, hi mate, your car is the same as mine except for the wheels.....there arent many silver ones around are there!
what year is yours?

oh yeah, while im here, two questions;
has anyone got a turbo front bumper (colour doesnt matter) as mine is smashed.
also, has anyone had problems with a leaking sunroof? if so, how did you fix it?

thanks

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 12:52 AM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Its rare that you see them in any colour! One of the things I like about them

Its a '92 K and it redefines the term 'turbo lag'

My sunroof has leaked once or twice in heavy rain. Never really use it though, and it seems to have cured itself. Sorry, not much help, maybe a seal has perished?

Pete
Old 04 March 2002, 09:23 AM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Smile

My sunroof has leaked a few times but it seems to only do it maybe three or four times a year after getting loads & loads of rain at once so it doesn't really bother me that much (hasn't done it recently despite all the rain we've had!)

And I know what you mean about lag! As far as I know the legacy has a bigger turbo than post 96 Imprezas which'll be why it takes so long to spool up. Feels good when it gets there though!
Old 04 March 2002, 12:03 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

my flamin sunroof leaks quite often, and the roof lining gets soaked, its the only thing i hate about the car. a sunroof is good in the summer, but for the amount of good weather we get here in north wales, i really wish it didnt have one!!
i think ill try shoving some welding wire down the drain holes, they may just be blocked....
as for the turbo, they use the misubushi TD05 turbo, it is bigger than fitted to following impreza's, but gives a good kick when it gets going, and i also believe that impreza's get a bit breathless above 5500rpm, mine goes to the redline in every gear easily!

im sure we'd give some impreza's a good seeing to! ive beaten quite a few out on the roads!

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 12:46 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yeah, I wish mine didn't have a sunroof - pointless anyway as air con is fitted (even though its stopped working).

I love it when the turbo wakes up and launches you down the road. It makes it seem faster than it actually is. My friend had a ride in a group N Evo 5 and reckoned that my Legacy felt faster even though it isn't because of the way the turbo comes in!

There is usable power all the way to the red line, although it wasn't as good before I had my new exhaust.

Keeping up with Imprezas is easy, most people don't expect my car to be fast - one of its best features I'd say my cars squeaky dash is its worst feature

It would be nice to get a group of Legacies together one day.
Pete
Old 04 March 2002, 12:56 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Red face

squeaky dash! god that would do my head in!

yes, thats one good thing about the legacy's, they call mine a 'street sleeper' at work. its funny because you get the most rediculous things trying to race you (like the skyline beating nova 1.2's with a peco on). i dont even bother racing sometimes, but wish i had, because the blue smoke that comes out of some of em makes me choak!

a legacy meet would be good, but trouble is, all us owners live miles from each other which creates a bit of a problem!

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 01:05 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it could be a bit hard to organise. However, I know its not for a while, but how about the RAC, no Rally of Wales, no Rally GB I was there last year and I dare say a lot of others were.
???

I've never really been bothered by other people trying to race. Bloke in a sapphire cosworth driving right up my **** in a 40mph zone was probably the worst so far. Oh yeah, and a poverty spec BMW 316 who didn't like me overtaking him.

Pete
Old 04 March 2002, 01:08 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

the RAC is great, i know its not till november, but time soon flies!
i go to it every year anyway, wouldnt miss it!

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 01:49 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good to see so many replies on this thread , its about time us Legacy guys let ourselves be known

Back to the leaky sunroof saga, mine has leaked a couple of times, and it turned out to be a blocked drain hole on the n/s front wing (the first time it happened the rear drain hole was block too - small swimming pool where the jack lives )

Other than that it has been a great car, the only thing i have had to replace in the two years i have owned it is the o/s anti roll bar link

James
Old 04 March 2002, 01:55 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

james, you say that the drain holes were blocked, how did you unblock them. also, where exactly do they come out. my boot floor carpet gets wet on the passenger side too (think the jack is on the passenger side?).

thanks

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 02:12 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Ian, i used an air line and wire coat hanger to un-block the drain holes.

The front drain hole is on the inner arch, a little bit further in from where to side skirts go on. The rear has a plastic bung that can be prised out.

Boot carpet wet I had this problem too, turned out water was leaking in through the rear light cluster. Best thing to do is to take the cluster off (4 8mm nuts) and clean off all the old silicon, and then refit it using loads of new silicon sealer.

Hope this helps

James
Old 04 March 2002, 02:18 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks for that james! ill go and have a look in a bit. i think my rear drain holes are blocked too, as the headlining soaks towards the rear of the roof too. you say you used a coat hanger and airline, did you unblock them from underneath the car.
also, you say theres a rubber bung on the rears, does this mean that they dont actually drain out properly.
finally (phew!), has your problem now been solved, or does it still leak sometimes?

thanks again

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 02:37 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hows about you chaps all come over for the Manx in september? If you like rallies this is the place! (No speed limit either.....)
Old 04 March 2002, 03:08 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

I went to the manx in '99 - excellent event!
Might be up for going again.
Old 04 March 2002, 03:49 PM
JCM7611
Scooby Regular

Ian, can't remember exactly where the drain hole is at the back. Best thing to do is get the jack out, and pull the boot lining out of the way and have a good look (you will need a torch) The plastic bung is fairly obvious, but you'll have to look for the drain hole.

Before you try that, to see if it blocked or not,(Blue Peter mode on ) get an empty washing up liquid bottle with some water in, and open the sunroof and squirt some water down the channel. Hopefully you will see water running out by the rear bumper which shows that it is clear.

Best of luck

James
Old 04 March 2002, 04:56 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Wink

thanks james, i will try that tomorrow afternoon (busy now)!
i will let you guys now how i get on...

cheers

ian
Old 04 March 2002, 06:00 PM
Legacy RS
Scooby Regular

Good man! I may even investigate them on mine if I can be arsed. I've got that many jobs for it at the moment though!

Struts at the moment, then I've to clean & adjust the throttle position sensor, then modify the knock sensor, then........

Quick Reply: My Legacy with it's new boots!