Nice Sunny Day so I didn't clean the car

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2008, 08:14 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice Sunny Day so I didn't clean the car

To start, did these a couple of weeks ago, not a bad job from a rattle can IMHO

They are orciari, but fibreglass not ABS, picked them up for about £23 off fleabay.

Next, I've spent the last few weeks doing some polishing of a variety of bits I've got lying around the garage, starting with this...

Fitted...

Not all going so well though, whilst the car was up in the air I discovered that my six-month old whiteline drop links are rusting

Also noticed that my nearside lower camshaft oil seal is leaking as is the drivers side drifeshaft oil seal.

Next was to get the wheels off, re-seat the near-side front spring that was picked up as an advisory at the last MOT. While the wheels where off, I thought I'd paint up the lettering on the front calipers, after all it's only been about six months since I painted them

And the matching rears...

Next job is to fit the Perrin Diff-lock kit. All the bushes go in fine - sorry no pics there's nothing to see, but got to fit the bolts - screwing the first and POP!, as expected as the tapered washer thing goes in, but theres no bite. Whatever it is screwing into (I suspect a captive nut that has been spot welded on) has come off. Can't get it, can't get it out

So some good and some bad so far, but to the final job

Start to undo the lower nuts on the rear diff and disaster...

Not a problem, I'll drill it out and tap it for one of the million-ish nuts I have in the garage - double disaster, this happens

Decide to give up as the diff is now seeping a little oil, nip up all of the other bolts - it's no great drama as it is not actually dripping and I don't use it that often, gives me time to sort out a permanent repair/replacement, but before I pack up I decide to check the brackets to make sure they fit and the final insult is this...

The bracket I've been supplied is for a R180 diff and my WRX has a R160. Oh well another little project.

Why oh why do we do this to ourselves
Old 10 June 2008, 07:58 PM
Stevesbluewrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up buddy. Good with the pics too.

Some nice shiney bits added there and change the image of the motor nicely. What brace is that? Is it a h-brace? Do you notice much in terms on stiffness of the of the car.

Shame about the diff mate. Sods law. It reminds me to fit my new one to the car.

Good work mate.

Steve
Old 10 June 2008, 08:26 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevesbluewrx
Great write up buddy. Good with the pics too.

Some nice shiney bits added there and change the image of the motor nicely. What brace is that? Is it a h-brace? Do you notice much in terms on stiffness of the of the car.

Shame about the diff mate. Sods law. It reminds me to fit my new one to the car.

Good work mate.

Steve
Yes, it's a H-brace, naff grey looking thing off fleabay until I attacked it with a polishing kit, can't tell you about the improvement because the diff is leaking so I haven't been able to give it a good run.

Need to get a new diff and find someone to fit it, not happy working on my drive with just axel stands as it is too sloped and I'd never be able to get the oil levels right with the slope