Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

I hate my scoop

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2008, 11:04 PM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate my scoop

View my scooby and check out my scoop. It's pitiful. It is a wrx scoop on a STI !!! It came with the carbon bonnet and I got it off ebay so have no idea who makes them (seller wasn't too helpful). I think I need someone that can make custom carbon parts. Can anyone help me?
Old 08 June 2008, 12:25 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

The STI should have the larger STI scoop and undertray for cooling purposes as it is sized to the i/c. You need to change it to the oe scoop or find the appropriate scoop.

Can't you fit your STI scoop to the carbon bonnet?
Old 08 June 2008, 05:14 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
The STI should have the larger STI scoop and undertray for cooling purposes as it is sized to the i/c. You need to change it to the oe scoop or find the appropriate scoop.

Can't you fit your STI scoop to the carbon bonnet?
Hi bob, thanks for replying. The bodyshop that swapped the bonnets over said the oe one wouldn't fit. They did however manage to fit the undertray and air splitter so the I/C is getting the correct cooling just maybe not as much airflow going over it as the larger one. I don't want to buy any carbon scoops from ebay as I have no idea whether it would fit or not.
Old 08 June 2008, 07:38 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

Why didnt the manufacturer design it to support the standard scoops? Strange. Is the origional scoop smaller than the hole in the bonnet or larger?
Old 08 June 2008, 07:47 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarkie172
Why didnt the manufacturer design it to support the standard scoops? Strange. Is the origional scoop smaller than the hole in the bonnet or larger?
The oe scoop was larger I think. Also most scoops are counter sunk into the bonnet whereas my one sits on top if you know what I mean...

Old 08 June 2008, 07:55 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

If the standard one is larger mate that's good- Take it to a body shop and just get them to put it over existing hole. Either Rivet it on or stick it with something or both!
Old 08 June 2008, 08:06 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

If the standard one is larger mate that's good- Take it to a body shop and just get them to put it over existing hole. Either Rivet it on or stick it with something or both!
I don't have the old one mate. The body shop discarded it and I was too excited about the new shiny carbon one to remember to ask them for it
Old 08 June 2008, 09:11 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I'd just ask for the measurements mate on here and if the oe ones are larger than yours currently (the base of it) then just get a second hand one and paint it black or get one of those carbon fibre kits
Old 08 June 2008, 09:29 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

There is one on ebay which looks bigger...

SUBARU IMPREZA STI 04 05 BONNET SCOOP (CARBON FIBER) on eBay, also Suspension Components, Performance Tuning Parts, Car Tuning Styling, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 08-Jun-08 21:28:51 BST)

Would probably need some fabrication but I like the look of it. My only concern would be if the carbon weave and gloss finish is different from my bonnet.
Old 08 June 2008, 09:32 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

I know, thats the problem. I would try that or as I said, get just a normal scoop and buy a carbon fibre kit which is the same/very similar to your bonnet
Old 08 June 2008, 09:41 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

I know, thats the problem. I would try that or as I said, get just a normal scoop and buy a carbon fibre kit which is the same/very similar to your bonnet
I think I'll chance my luck with the one on ebay. It has been on ebay for ages and he has 10 available which hasn't changed. The auction ends today so I am going to be cheeky and wait and see if he relists them at a cheaper price

The carbon kit idea is a good one which I'll keep in mind. I'm not very good with car diy though so would have to get a body shop to do it. Didn't know you could get kits like that either

Thanks for the advice mate
Old 08 June 2008, 10:00 AM
Clarkie172
Scooby Regular

theres a video floating around somewhere that shows you how to do it, it looks quite easy. I would try that scoop first as it will more than likely be ok, if it is not, at least you still have a scoop! You could try and re-do it with one of the kits...or a bodyshop. Good luck!
Old 08 June 2008, 10:07 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultimately, it depends on how **** you are about it being perfect.

You could try and get a stock scoop fabricated to fit but it still wouldnt look right. If it was me id ditch the carbon hood and go back to stock. The stock ally one is more than likely lighter anyway.

The other option is to buy another high quality carbon hood, Seibon for example and put a stock scoop on that. Then sell the hood that you have.

Someone will alway buy a carbon hood mate.
Old 08 June 2008, 10:27 AM
reiddo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Ultimately, it depends on how **** you are about it being perfect.

You could try and get a stock scoop fabricated to fit but it still wouldnt look right. If it was me id ditch the carbon hood and go back to stock. The stock ally one is more than likely lighter anyway.

The other option is to buy another high quality carbon hood, Seibon for example and put a stock scoop on that. Then sell the hood that you have.

Someone will alway buy a carbon hood mate.
Yeah I think I am being ****. It just niggles me if you know what I mean so I have to do something about it. I have been considering going back to stock hood but I am going to chance my luck with the one on ebay and if that goes pear shaped then I will probably go back to the stock hood after that.

Cheers,

Doug