Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Mcrae comes outta hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2007, 04:48 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mcrae comes outta hibernation

So the sun was out and the Mcrae is due to come out of hibernation next week so I thought I`d give the old girl a good clean and try this detailing melarky.
Being a weekend washing warrior I thought I knew how to clean a car and what products gave the best finish, well after seeing the marvelous work done on a Bentley by a certain member on here I thought I`d give it a ameuterish go.
So this thread is kinda in homage to that famous thread
So readin up on the certain cleaning products and the correct steps to gaining that flawless shine I set about hurting the bank balance with some cleaning product purchases.
The cleaning operation started at 12 o clock and the old girl fired up straight away after numerous months tucked in the garage, as you can see the paintwork was kind of dull and very dusty.

Firstly I rinsed the car down with some water, as you can see there was evidence of a protection layer as the beading was quite good.

Using the two bucket technique (one for soap and one for warm water only to dip) I used the Meguiars 100% wool mit and the Meg Gold class car wash, after another rinse I set about getting the car ready for its polish by using the Meg smooth surface clay kit, consisting of clay bars and Meg quick detailer for lubrication.
The majority of the paintwork was pretty good, the worst it got was on the bottom of the doors, as you can see from the picture it shifted quite a lot.

When the claying was finished I washed it again using the same technique and same cleaning products.
After drying it using a Meg microfibre drying towl it was looking pretty cleam and gleaming quite well.
Although the shine was good the paintwork had no depth to it.

Next step was to try and rid the car of some terrible swirl marks, using the Poorboys SSr2 swirl remover I set about with plenty of elboy grease, this was probably the hardest part of the job, although the polish went on well it was twice as hard to get off.
The majority of the swirls came out however without the luxury of a machine it wasnt the best I could have got it, having said that I dont think i`d let myself use a machine without proper guidence and somekind of paintwork level gauge.

So now the car was free of grime, grease and swirls it was time to add shine and protection.
Firstly I used the Meg Tech wax and applied a good coat which went on and off with ease giving a nice finish.

Next using the newly purchased sponge applicator I coated the car in Megs mirror glaze 16 which seemed to bring the paintwork alive, smelt loverly and went on and off like a dream.
Lastly I used Autoglym extra gloss protection to lock in all the wax that had been applied.
The wheel got a nice claying and a coat of super resin by Autoglym and the tyres got a coat of shine.
The black plastic trim was treated with Autoglyn bumper shine which finished the job off.
So five hours later and aches all over my body I was finished and I have to admit the results were fantastic I`m totally converted and wont pick up a sponge or a shammy leather again!

Hope you enjoy the pics.
Edit virgin doesnt like linking:
Public Album

Last edited by +Doc+; 15 July 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 15 July 2007, 06:22 PM
parkysaxo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

superb finish there mate...

Every credit,
Old 15 July 2007, 07:31 PM
Robin Mullan
Scooby Regular

Location: Aylesbury. Type-R V4, 2.2l 415BHP, 400LBS. Feels good!!! Now i really want more !!!

My mate does all this detailing stuff for a living, and the finish of his work is second to none, the cars look spectacular, so job well done mate.
Old 15 July 2007, 07:48 PM
D6ale
Scooby Regular

Fantastic work on a great looking rare classic!
Old 15 July 2007, 08:07 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work!
Old 15 July 2007, 08:12 PM
Spyd
Scooby Regular

what a transformation! i really need to get around doing this myself but with weather like this it's difficult to judge when the best time is.

good jooooooooob
Old 15 July 2007, 08:14 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Fantastic looking job there....... Glad you've got the patience to spend 5 hrs doing it - I couldn't be arsed spending that much time on cleaning anything, let alone my car!

Taliban hand wash for me......... quick and simple - (get's jacket and hides...)

Trending Topics

Old 15 July 2007, 10:02 PM
wrxcraig
Scooby Regular

good job there fella, i got get this clay bar and do mine or does anyone want to do it for me lol.
Old 16 July 2007, 12:22 AM
94legturbo
Scooby Regular

nice work and a great example of a series mcrae

well shiney!!
Old 16 July 2007, 10:27 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers, looks like it will be coming outta hibernation to a shed load of storms!
Call this summer Think we will pay for this over the winter.
Old 17 July 2007, 11:36 AM
Andy Hamilton
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Looking good

So nice to see a mint unmolested Series McRae.
Old 17 July 2007, 12:22 PM
daz_don1
Scooby Regular

great work!!

an amazing lookig car you must be beeming
Old 17 July 2007, 05:39 PM
GrimmSpeed
Scooby Newbie

nice work, its amazing what those little things do.

Josh
GrimmSpeed :: Subaru Racing Parts