Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Just had my car detailed

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2006, 02:25 PM
TI7OJO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my car detailed

I had been looking into getting my car detailed for quite a while because the countless swirl marks really let it down. So i started making some enquires and one name kept popping up, Iain of Finerdetails. So i went on his website and looked through his portfolio and his work looked spot on, desision made, i wanted him to detail my car. So i gave him a call and managed to get my car booked in for 9 o'clock start.
So its a big from me for a job extremely well done, and thanks for the drinks and biscuits.
Here is his report and before and after pictures of the car

"Mike contacted me following a few referrals. He did his homework first and decided to contact me regarding de-swirling his Subaru Impreza WRX. he had attended a few club meets and gathering and seen the swirling letting his car down.

As well as Mike joining in, today ArdyAndy also came over to observe and learn

Here's the Scoobie on arrival looking pretty sweeeet Its always nice to get a detail where the before pics look so damn good lol

We started out by rinsing off with the karcher

and washing two bucket method. Arches and alloys sprayed with diluted APC.
Next we clayed the car using DP clay and the foam gun. Lower door sills, boot panel and bonnet edge providing the usual areas for greatest attention.

We then re-rinsed the car and dried using the cobra super soakers.We then moved the car into the garage, covered all plastics and seals with 3m tape and recorded the paint depth readings. At this point the whole detail plan took a huge twist. Scoobie paint being gerneal hard, I was expecting a multi stage detail, one to remove swirls over a couple of stages.

ere's some close ups on the bonnet:

With bonnet paint soooo low, roof and boot also showing signs of previous attempts I re-jigged the plan and we attcked as follows:

PC with polishing pad using Clearkote Red Moose Glaze, applied spped one, two passes speed two, and two final passes speed six. We then inspected the area to check the improvement.
No cobwebbing left. Out with the PDG, remeasure the area, ums to new reading showing a minimal reduction of um on the bonnet, drop from 80ums to 79.5ums. Pleased to say the least.

We then continued using the same method across the bonnet, roof and boot. We tested this on the side panels, and made the decision to keep the process here too.

Next I applied Wolfgang sealant using a finishing pad. Using a very easy and liquid sealant, and extra light pressure to lock the RMG in. This was left to cure whilst Megs #20 sealant was applied to the alloys.

Both Mike and Andy wiped the Wolfgang off, once clear I applied XMT finishing glaze using a finishing pad. We allowed half the car to cure before beginning to wipe clear. This was then topped with the WWW wax and a hand applicator.

As the WWW cured I followed round using a finishing pad, and Pinnacle Crystal mist to spit shine Pinnacle Souveran. A final wipe down with the CM afterwards. Alloys wiped clear, glass cleaned with glass cleaner, and tyres treated to Amror All Tire Gel.

Here's the bonnet close ups:

and the full car shots:

couple of extra shots, highlighting the features of Mike's WRX:

Thanks to Mike and Andy, was a great day, and nice to meet you both, hope to see you both again soon

thanks for reading.

Iain