Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

WRC Technologies 330 Package Photo Diary

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2005, 11:16 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRC Technologies 330 Package Photo Diary

Leigh and myself, having both failed to sell our MY02 STI7's decided to keep them and fit one of the performance upgrade packages available from several well known companies. Having done some research we finally opted for the WRC Tecnologies 330 package that includes a full 3" exhaust system, fuel pump and ECUTEK remap. Although there have been no reviews on Scoobynet of WRC Technologies (fairly new company) we opted for their package as they benefit from having their own Dyno Dynamics rolling road, an obvious advantage when remapping a car I would have thought. Their package is also less expensive than many others and last but not least they are set at the heart of British motorsport - Silverstone circuit.

We arrived at 09:30 to be warmly greeted by Allan and Chris. After a full explanation of the upgrade process both cars were put on the rolling road to measure the before performance figures.

First car on the rollers

After several runs the following figures were obtained. A little dissapointing as we both thought the figure would have been between 260-265bhp

Off with the old system

On with the new APS exhaust system and new fuel pump

After several hours of tweaking and dyno runs the remap was almost complete.

Took the cars out for a test drive and the difference was startling. The increase in torque means you're never waiting for the power to kick in, it's almost instant. Gear changes take place 1000rpm further down the rev range and the car pulls like a train. The soundtrack is awesome, I was concerned that the system may be too quiet, but it's perfect. On cruise it's not annoying, when you push the car the sound is absolutely superb. Aesthetically I like the look of the 3" system as the backbox is 4" in diameter and more in keeping with the "rally car" look although they do the "jap" style box on their 3 1/2" stystem. They kept the cars overnight to do a cold start and sent us on our way.

Couldn't believe my luck on the drive home when an STi 8/9 came thundering up behind us obviously keen to play The car pulled effortlessly away and the gap was 100m in what seemed like no time at all. Money well spent I assure you and who knows, I may go back for the 350 package next year

Finally a big thank you to Allan and Chris for their hard work, long hours, courtesy car and coffee. On the downside, as Leigh pointed out, no biscuits
Old 19 May 2005, 11:21 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that Chris who used to be at G-force (Aussie)? or do I talk outa my bum?
Old 19 May 2005, 11:28 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v5 man
Is that Chris who used to be at G-force (Aussie)? or do I talk outa my bum?
I did read in one of the performance mag supplements that he used to be with a company called G Force.

Mike
Old 19 May 2005, 11:34 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Cool, knew I heard something about him moving on Great bloke and very knowledgeable too

Cliff
Old 19 May 2005, 11:56 PM
gso
Scooby Regular

How much?
Old 20 May 2005, 12:10 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi msp1,

I think you've almost convinced me which package to go for on my STi 03. Can you confirm the price is £1795 inclusive, and also are you totally happy with the car in all driving conditions, open road, stop start traffic, etc? Whats the cold start like? And is the engine as smooth/refined as it was before the mod? (When Evo mag tested several mods, they pointed out mods like Graham Goode were a bit raw/unrefined, which I don't want!) Is the exhaust fairly quiet at motorway cruising speeds (70-80mph). And thanks for your detailed post! I want to fit a Whiteline rear anti roll bar and front anti lift kit before I do the mod. I'm an ex-Evo 7 FQ 300 owner and want the Scoob's handling to feel a bit tighter if it's going to have 330bhp!

Regards

Greg
Old 20 May 2005, 07:10 AM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GREGGYG
Hi msp1,

I think you've almost convinced me which package to go for on my STi 03. Can you confirm the price is £1795 inclusive
Yes, I did try to beat them down on price as there were 2 of us having the mod. Managed to get both cars done for £1850 each which includes their sports cat for MOT time which we took away in a box

, and also are you totally happy with the car in all driving conditions, open road, stop start traffic, etc? Whats the cold start like? And is the engine as smooth/refined as it was before the mod? (When Evo mag tested several mods, they pointed out mods like Graham Goode were a bit raw/unrefined, which I don't want!)
It's early days yet but yes. In traffic car is better than before as the extra torque means I don't have to drop it down into first gear when slow rooling. On the way home I found myself in slow moving traffic, uphill doing 30mph in 3rd gear. Engine is still smooth but exhaust note does make the car feel more purposefull. Cold starts fine.

Is the exhaust fairly quiet at motorway cruising speeds (70-80mph).
Yes, not too intrusive at all. From what I've read it's one of the quieter systems, to be honest any louder and I wouldn't have liked it.

And thanks for your detailed post! I want to fit a Whiteline rear anti roll bar and front anti lift kit before I do the mod. I'm an ex-Evo 7 FQ 300 owner and want the Scoob's handling to feel a bit tighter if it's going to have 330bhp!

Regards

Greg
No probs, had to do a decent post as I couldn't find any reviews of this company/package on Scoobynet. I will revisit this post from time to time and update thoughts/experiences as time goes on. Finally if you're in my neck of the woods call in for a blast.

Mike

Trending Topics

Old 20 May 2005, 08:02 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

BLIMEY!!!!! What a result Can I ask how much you paid for that?
Old 20 May 2005, 08:09 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Doh!
£1850
*blush*
Old 20 May 2005, 08:20 AM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

The package they used is a very thoroughly tested one, produced by APS of Australia......all of their stuff is of top notch quality and they have a very good technical department over in Oz.
I used some of their bits on my STi 5 a few years back.....
Old 29 May 2005, 12:03 AM
msp1
Scooby Regular

OK, after a week of ownership of a 330bhp STi I thought I'd revisit this thread and update my thoughts/feelings.

Been driving the car a lot more than I used to, I used to commute in my wifes Polo but now can't resist taking the Subaru. Since the upgrade I've noted a few things.

After a night out and feeling a bit hung-over the next day I let the wife drive the car and I sat in the back with the kids. Boy is it louder back there. Motorway speeds will probably be OK but trundling along in traffic it did seem loud. Kids haven't complained yet though.

Overtaking is now completely effortless and as a result somewhat safer. Only problem is I'm continually looking for overtaking opportunities (national speed limit roads only).

Still amazed at how much the wheels are scrabbling for grip when I floor the accelerator.

Leigh went back to WRC last week as he was in the neighbourhood and got Chris to plug his PC in while he took him for a spin. Just wanted to make sure everything was still running OK, which it is.

Considering improving the air flow to the intercooler by fitting the larger STi9 style scoop. Also considering the APS dump valve.

Delighted to hear that a modified WR1 only pulled 318bhp on the same Dyno and a JDM STi managed a whopping 438bhp.

Mike
Old 29 May 2005, 07:16 AM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

Thats a great write up, good to hear that there are other companies out there that are providing what appoear to be quality performance enhancements for the Subaru community. Seems like a good price as well.

Any more photos of your car, looks good from what I can see in the photos!
Dave
Old 01 June 2005, 05:13 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

hi mike & leigh

how are the cars going now - what sort of fuel con do you get when booting them around the lanes

have you driven them back to back with an 03/04 STi PPP to see the difference - mine is the latter (totally transformed by continual supply of Optimax) and am wondering if the extra 10% of power is worth the cost
Old 05 June 2005, 07:20 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_A
Thats a great write up, good to hear that there are other companies out there that are providing what appoear to be quality performance enhancements for the Subaru community. Seems like a good price as well.

Any more photos of your car, looks good from what I can see in the photos!
Dave
Sorry fo the late reply but just arrived home from sunny Cyprus or

This one here

and some more here

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=426963
Old 05 June 2005, 07:26 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GRIFF007
hi mike & leigh

how are the cars going now - what sort of fuel con do you get when booting them around the lanes

have you driven them back to back with an 03/04 STi PPP to see the difference - mine is the latter (totally transformed by continual supply of Optimax) and am wondering if the extra 10% of power is worth the cost
Haven't worked out the fuel consumption yet, when I do I'll post it here. I've driven a PPP'd car and been on many runs with them. It's my biased opinion of course but from these experiences coupled with rolling road data I don't think a PPP'd car is in the same class. However, having a PPP'd car puts you in a good position to get the 350bhp package, go on you know it makes sense

Mike
Old 05 June 2005, 07:31 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

hi mike & leigh

Haven't worked out the fuel consumption yet, when I do I'll post it here. I've driven a PPP'd car and been on many runs with them. It's my biased opinion of course but from these experiences coupled with rolling road data I don't think a PPP'd car is in the same class. However, having a PPP'd car puts you in a good position to get the 350bhp package, go on you know it makes sense

Mike
Old 06 June 2005, 04:22 PM
StuS
Scooby Regular

I'm considering the 350bhp package, but I guess I'd better work out insurance costs etc first

Very tempting....
Old 06 June 2005, 08:57 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StuS
I'm considering the 350bhp package, but I guess I'd better work out insurance costs etc first

Very tempting....
are u using an sti ppp start?

keep us posted..
Old 07 June 2005, 09:16 AM
StuS
Scooby Regular

are u using an sti ppp start?

keep us posted..
Yep, '02 STI PPP
Old 10 June 2005, 05:37 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Very nice indeed! I have a mate who just bought an 05 Sti, will show this to him! lol.
Old 11 June 2005, 05:35 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I hate threads like this!

Makes me wanna book my MY03 STi in!

Very impressive results!
Old 11 June 2005, 06:57 PM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

I'm taking my classic for a remap at wrc on monday, hope i get a similar sort of figure!
Old 11 June 2005, 07:15 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

After a weeks holiday it was nice to get back in the Subaru. Getting used to the volume of the exhaust and still amazed at how different the car feels. The car is the wifes daily drive and she feels the same. Used to run the car on 97 ron but now driving 12 miles for optimax, the price you pay I suppose

On the downside I had a message from Leigh saying his car was booked in with the local dealer to cure a fuel leak. I'll post more info after I've talked to him but I imagine it must have been caused when the new fuel pump was fitted.

Mike
Old 11 June 2005, 08:33 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mr_Wid
I'm taking my classic for a remap at wrc on monday, hope i get a similar sort of figure!
What work you having done if you dont mind telling me?
Old 12 June 2005, 11:45 AM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

Having the tek3 remap and possibly a walbro fuel pump fitted, depending on how much dollar they want. I've just fitted a green panel filter and its got a full decat and ninja back box. Will be interesting to see the before and after figures!
Old 12 June 2005, 04:01 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Dont forget to post them to me please!
Old 30 July 2005, 04:45 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates regarding this Mr Wid
Old 01 August 2005, 07:05 PM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

I didnt have the best experience with wrc but i'm not willing to slate them on a message board as i'm sure a lot of people have been fine with them.
Old 01 August 2005, 10:28 PM
msp1
Scooby Regular

I didnt have the best experience with wrc but i'm not willing to slate them on a message board as i'm sure a lot of people have been fine with them.
When I was shopping around for a company to mod my car I couldn't find any info about WrC Tech so I decided to take a chance. I started this thread to give others owners the benefit of my experience, good or bad. I think it would be helpful for us all to know the pitfalls you experienced so there is a balanced view. Fingers crossed I haven't had any problems yet. The same can't be said for Leigh, the fuel pump cover was wrongly fitted on his car. He had to buy a new gasket from the local dealer and replace it himself. As of last Friday he still hasn't been reimbursed though there has been the promise of a cheque but he's still waiting. Not slating WRC off, just stating the facts.

Mike

Last edited by msp1; 02 August 2005 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02 August 2005, 09:13 AM
Mr_Wid
Scooby Regular

Woke up in a bad mood today so here goes :

When i went there to get my car remapped i asked if it would be a good idea to fit an uprated fuel pump and decided to have one fitted by them before the mapping started, even though i knew it was a bloody expensive pump i thought it would be easier to have it done there and then. After they fitted the pump the car wouldnt start and they couldnt get it started for the rest of the afternoon whilst i was waiting around. Eventually they managed to do a temp repair and sent me on my way, without the remap done. Took the car back, let them have it for a week and got a phone call on a friday evening saying it would be ready in the morn. Picked it up and was told it was fully fixed. Drove 90 miles and the car broke down due to the pump not kicking in, had to get a tow for the rest of the journey costing £190. After being dropped off by the tow truck i thought i'd have a nose around to see if i could see anything obvious and bloody hell could I!!!

Instead of fixing the fault with the original relay not kicking in they'd bodged a wire across the engine bay, hanging on top of the driveshaft, then going to a new added relay which was bypassing the immobiliser etc! And then it was very poorley routed to the fuel pump, and instead of crimping a ring connector on the battery side of the wire they'd just stripped of the plastic shielding and poked the wire in the battery terminal.

They also dented my car above the fuel flap which i noticed about half hour after picking it up.

They've not paid anything towards the recovery fee, they said they'll be willing to pay half towards the dent repair as long as its only about £50-60 total and i noticed yesterday that they've bodged some new wires into my car to get around the problem of the fuel pump, even though i was told it was fully back to original.

I'm sure there was something else too but cant think now.

Currently saving my pennies as last week my car blew a hole in one of the pistons, been a hefty month on the wallet!

Quick Reply: WRC Technologies 330 Package Photo Diary