Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

FFS

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2005, 08:46 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FFS

Can anyone explain why this has happened?

The damn thing looks like its about to explode in the middle. To be fair Neil has said if i send the whole thing back they will investigate it but does anyone know whats going on here?
Old 13 May 2005, 08:50 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Put the other one back on!!

That spoiler has been more trouble than its worth!

Ps, why haven't you replied to my PM this week??
Old 13 May 2005, 08:59 PM
duSTI
Scooby Regular

Weird mate, still if whoever you bought it from is willing to look at it you can't complain too much.

You could always go wingless a la NASIOC

Jim
Old 13 May 2005, 09:33 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Si what's does the inner construction consist of ?
Is it still solid to touch or can you compress it ?
It looks like it is de laminating similar the plywood when it gets wet.

Time for a new one old chap !!

I know where there is a P1 spoiler if that's any use to you
Old 13 May 2005, 09:34 PM
Jonty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
Can anyone explain why this has happened?
You'll have to excuse the few glasses of wine I've had -- is that a problem with carbon fibre bubbling..? I'm having problems focussing and making it out. If so, I found this;

"Carbon fibre composites are highly desirable in automotive applications due to their high strength to weight ratios, design flexibility and corrosion resistance. Despite these excellent properties, the use of these materials in automotive applications isseverely limited by a difficulty in achieving the high surface finish required by the automotive industry.

The surface finish of composites may be adversely affected bythe presence of pits which occur as a result of trapped volatiles on the surface of the laminate. As the resin and carbon fibre have different coefficients of thermal expansion, once the panels are painted and exposed to varying temperatures, the painted surface can be prone to fibre read-through and surface bubbling.

Until recently, another factor limiting the ability to perform high production runs of composite panels was the long autoclave cure cycles required to manufacture components."

I wonder.

Jonts.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:25 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Si what's does the inner construction consist of ?
Is it still solid to touch or can you compress it ?
It looks like it is de laminating similar the plywood when it gets wet.

Time for a new one old chap !!

I know where there is a P1 spoiler if that's any use to you
Si yes you can compress it funnily enough. As far as i know its Carbon on top of Fibreglass. As for the P1 spoiler pm me m8 re a price it could be a cheaper alternative.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:28 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonty
You'll have to excuse the few glasses of wine I've had -- is that a problem with carbon fibre bubbling..? I'm having problems focussing and making it out. If so, I found this;

"Carbon fibre composites are highly desirable in automotive applications due to their high strength to weight ratios, design flexibility and corrosion resistance. Despite these excellent properties, the use of these materials in automotive applications isseverely limited by a difficulty in achieving the high surface finish required by the automotive industry.

The surface finish of composites may be adversely affected bythe presence of pits which occur as a result of trapped volatiles on the surface of the laminate. As the resin and carbon fibre have different coefficients of thermal expansion, once the panels are painted and exposed to varying temperatures, the painted surface can be prone to fibre read-through and surface bubbling.

Until recently, another factor limiting the ability to perform high production runs of composite panels was the long autoclave cure cycles required to manufacture components."

I wonder.

Jonts.
Jonts
Yeah its "Bubbling" again but its the bow in the middle thats worrying me it looks fit to explode any second. I know the paint sinks into the weave which is what i guess they are on about there thats ok it looks quite cool its the other mess im getting fed up with.

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2005, 10:35 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

****en hell its gotten WORSE!!!

its alive
Old 13 May 2005, 10:36 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

gutted for you mate..
Old 13 May 2005, 10:40 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

I'm Trained it the Manufacture and repair of composites and to be honest the only reason for this, is a bad manufacturing. It looks like its only in the Pit where the rear lip turns up?, if it is that's the weakest point if, when it was made there was not enough preasure applied at this point, air will have been trapped between the layers, if for some reason there is a high temperature change say, it will bubble like this as the Air traped inside expands, this will cause the Carbon/Kevlar/Fibres to crack and let moisture in. Unfortunately there is no way to easy repair it and you would see the repair. Best this is to replace it or try and get a refund as it is undoubtably a manufacturing fault. As for the Bowing/Expanding again Badly made, problably just a one off, there are only a couple of ways to test Fiber products after manufacture to ensure there is no fault inside. SOunds like its full of expanding Air pockets. Kaboom!!

Last edited by 4eX; 13 May 2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:41 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Strange im the only one its happened to perhaps its allergic to AutoGlym.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:46 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4eX
I'm Trained it the Manufacture and repair of composites and to be honest the only reason for this, is a bad manufacturing. It looks like its only in the Pit where the rear lip turns up?, if it is that's the weakest point if, when it was made there was not enough preasure applied at this point, air will have been trapped between the layers, if for some reason there is a high temperature change say, it will bubble like this as the Air traped inside expands, this will cause the Carbon/Kevlar/Fibres to crack and let moisture in. Unfortunately there is no way to easy repair it and you would see the repair. Best this is to replace it or try and get a refund as it is undoubtably a manufacturing fault.
Thats what i was looking for Cheers. Yes its along the lip at the rear i was told it was the painters fault last time so i had it done again at my expense.
I phoned Neil today and he said i was to send it back for tests which is a bit of a pain because 1.. i have to send the whole thing back but its glued to the boot along with the bolts and 2.. i have to pay to get it there. Then theres the possibility his supplier will say its no fault of theres.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:47 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

............and driving around for 2 weeks with no spoiler on
Old 13 May 2005, 10:49 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatmanscooby
Strange im the only one its happened to perhaps its allergic to AutoGlym.
AutoGlym?

I Swore buy it for 15 Years, then i found "Maguires" Will never use the Glym again, you have never seen a shine like it, I used the 3 step system 1st to clean and protect and now a coat of gold after a wash. If you really like a clean car then try it, you will not be dissapointed.
Old 13 May 2005, 10:52 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

PM on the way Si....

I would think that very soon that spoiler will split open on that sharp inner edge when it completely looses it's inner integrity ?... be carefull Si that could be very dangerous if your on the motorway at speed.
Sooner rather than later I think !!
Old 13 May 2005, 10:57 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Thats true Silver, once you start to flex Fibers all the rigidity is lost and its prone to failure, if your doing 70 at the time your rear would become awfully light, possibly even overtaking you!!!! and we dont want that.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:03 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Question

Some one told you it was the painters fault ?????

Then how come its bubbling where there is no paint then ???????
Theres no paint on the center portion?, just nice shiny resin which is rock hard, no matter how much polish you put on it, it cant/wont soak in unless the surface has holes/cracks in it which could only be there from manufacture.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:08 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I think you will find it was refering to the clear laquer that was sprayed on it.
Old 13 May 2005, 11:12 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

The whole thing was laquer'd?, shouldnt matter though, ive seen CF bonnets painted, Aircraft Wing sections painted and never one that has broken down due to it.

I know that is the weakest point to but im certain it would be happening all over the spoiler if it were anything to do with what was used to laquer it.

Last edited by 4eX; 13 May 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 14 May 2005, 01:27 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

bloodyhell Si your not having much luck with that!!!
hope you get it sorted mate!
Tams
Old 14 May 2005, 03:07 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 4eX
Some one told you it was the painters fault ?????

Then how come its bubbling where there is no paint then ???????
Theres no paint on the center portion?, just nice shiny resin which is rock hard, no matter how much polish you put on it, it cant/wont soak in unless the surface has holes/cracks in it which could only be there from manufacture.
Yes apparently last time it bubbled up/ went ripply it was something the painter had done as they had never had one do it before. Laquer or it was put in an oven was the explanation last time so i paid out and had it redone this is the second time is rippled but the first time its blown up like this. It was however not put in an oven and all my other Carbon bits have been done by the same guy the same way.
Old 16 May 2005, 07:40 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Pleased to say Neil is sending out a new top half and will test the one on the car. Thanks Neil.
Old 16 May 2005, 08:49 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

good result dude
Old 18 May 2005, 12:24 PM
BlueBlackScooby
Scooby Regular

I think one of the main problems with your spoiler is the resin that has been used. Since it is only a carbon skin on top of cheap E-glass fibres there is a good chance they have only used very cheap and nasty Polyester resin, rather than a good quality epoxy. The cost difference can be a factor of 10. I am a composites engineer and am currently looking at achieving a "class A surface finish" for the automotive industry.

The problem with polyester resin is that it shrinks really badly and will never give a quality finish. My guess is that it has delaminated from the glass due to the exposure of the sun.
Old 18 May 2005, 01:57 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

It does get worse in the sun thats for sure but they say im the only one it has happened to. As for making Products keep me informed
Old 18 May 2005, 03:27 PM
BlueBlackScooby
Scooby Regular

I am currently working on a 100% carbon prepreg Sti8 scoop to fit my MY2002 WRX. I don't really get that much time!! Here is a link to my work web page regarding the work I do.

www.nottingham.ac.uk/~eazlth
(Click on HOME in the top left)

Regarding the bubbling at the painters previously, he may not have got all of the mould release agent off the part before he primed it. The volatiles in the release agent would then try to escape when heat was applied.

Last edited by BlueBlackScooby; 18 May 2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 18 May 2005, 04:01 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

The bit that bubbled wasnt Primed it was Laquered
Old 18 May 2005, 04:31 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

You could perhaps drill a couple of small breather holes in your replacement part (out of sight obviously!!) when it arrives
Old 18 May 2005, 05:32 PM
Warwick-hunt
Scooby Regular

i thought yours was the best scooby i'd seen fatman, gutted for ya .
Old 18 May 2005, 06:17 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks m8 it will be ok ive got a new top coming so normal service will be resumed not in time for Japfest though unfortunately.