My MY03 finally after PPP and new 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 12:00 AM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Location: Europe (Brit. ex-Pat.) - MY03 WRX PPP + Opel Monza GSE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool My MY03 finally after PPP and new 18" wheels

Last Friday finally saw my latest phase of additions being completed (PPP and 18" gold rims) - it only took about 2 months to get done but it was worth the wait, if only because I can enjoy it even more in the lovely weather we're having

Old 30 May 2004, 01:49 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Looking good. Desperate for detangoing (get the oven on dear ) and the sills colour coding. You'll be needing some flaps to protect the sills too Hope you're enjoying the PPP, it gets better with time
Old 30 May 2004, 10:04 AM
BlueBoy
Scooby Regular

and you couldn't find any better wheels either
Old 01 June 2004, 01:05 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by BlueBoy
and you couldn't find any better wheels either

Though I personally do love my new wheels, the problem here in Lux is that the insurers are sticklers to standards and specifications, and unless you can wave a TUV certificate under their noses for anything changed on the car, then you'll find out later when it matters most that it's nullified your insurance (apparently they can also chase down the supplier and rap their knuckles too).

The OZs on Subaru's catalogues over here don't have TUV yet, in fact the they only show the 18" (the ones I originally wanted) where as in the UK you can also get them in 17". For everything else getting a decent set and TUV on top of that isn't that easy unless you go to the "dark side".
Old 01 June 2004, 01:34 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

Toamyn

Our P-WRC1 wheels are TUV approved in both 17 & 18".......

Thanks, Nick.
Old 01 June 2004, 02:04 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Nick Wadeson
Toamyn

Our P-WRC1 wheels are TUV approved in both 17 & 18".......

Thanks, Nick.
Strange that the Subaru pamphlet they showed me didn't mention this for the 18" (it actually states they're not TUV) otherwise I would have gone for them - fortunately I'm happy with what I've ended up with.

Then again Subaru Lux seem to rely heavily on what they are told by Subaru Belgium. They're not the easiest to deal with and it's difficult to understand their mind set (we couldn't quite grasp them sending out just 3 wheels on a 4 wheel order!).

BTW. As you're from Prodrive, is there any way I can tell if the ECU they put into my MY03 is really one of yours on not still the original? The reason I ask is that on the second attempt to have it fitted (the first failed due to the delivery being a day late), the garage told me they couldn't do it as the new ECU was missing - very suspect! They booked me in again a few days later and it was all done. The only evidence I have is the exhaust and the blue "Prodrive" stamped pipe under the bonnet! Have they pulled a fast one on me?
Old 01 June 2004, 02:36 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

I really like the aero splash guards you have there! Were they expensive?
Old 01 June 2004, 03:05 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by megabusa
I really like the aero splash guards you have there! Were they expensive?
I'd say yes, but I can't remember exactly how much off the top of my head. According to the Subaru Belgium website they're €111 (£73) for the front pair, the same for the rear pair. I'm pretty sure I paid less for them though.

Believe it or not they do a pretty good job at keeping the sides clean and were easy enough to fit!
Old 01 June 2004, 04:29 PM
Dr Evo
Scooby Regular

Default Re

Nice, desperately needs to be lowered to get rid of the " stilts " look.
Old 01 June 2004, 04:39 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

is there any way I can tell if the ECU they put into my MY03 is really one of yours on not still the original?
The ECU's are OE units which have been re-programmed with our own calibration software, so there is no visible evidence as to whether it is a Prodrive or Subaru ECU.

With each PPP I supply to Subaru Benelux, I supply a silver Prodrive label which should be stuck onto the ECU casing. However, I do not know if they actually do this (some importers do and others don't).

the garage told me they couldn't do it as the new ECU was missing
When I send a PPP, it is shipped as a complete kit with the exception of the ECU licence (which is sent via email). It is therefore possible for the PPP to be forwarded to the dealer without the ECU (as this is modified from standard before being supplied to the relevant dealer).

Have they pulled a fast one on me?
Easiest way to check, when the car is cold (immediately after start-up), drive it down the road quite hard. You should get very little boost until the car has warmed up to a safe level (this lack of boost will make the car feel much slower then normal).

This is an engine protection facility we have built into the PPP which is not present on the standard car's ECU.

Thanks, Nick.
Old 01 June 2004, 06:10 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks Nick. It was nearly two weeks between them getting the kit and them finding out the ECU was missing. I'll see if I can find the ECU and check if a sticker is present, though not sure why you wouldn't attach it yourself at least as a way to use it as an "anti-tamper" check.

The next time I have an opportunity to try out the test I will - rather difficult if the car is garaged so I'll need someone else around to "mind the store" whilst I drive off.
Old 01 June 2004, 06:15 PM
Taomyn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Dr Evo
Nice, desperately needs to be lowered to get rid of the " stilts " look.
Perhaps seeing as the road quality out here is so far superior to most of the UK. I went back home a fortnight ago (I used to live in Kent), and it would be enough to have put me off buying a Scoob for general day-to-day use. I can't imagine how you guys/gals put up with it - around some towns I had to keep my jaws apart from fear of losing a tooth or two - LOL
Old 02 June 2004, 02:04 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Taomyn
Perhaps seeing as the road quality out here is so far superior to most of the UK. I went back home a fortnight ago (I used to live in Kent), and it would be enough to have put me off buying a Scoob for general day-to-day use. I can't imagine how you guys/gals put up with it - around some towns I had to keep my jaws apart from fear of losing a tooth or two - LOL
I have the Prodrive Handling Pack, this lowers the about 25mm and 30mm rear IIRC. The handling and looks are much improved and took some of the Harshness out when STD, no need for a gum shield
and if TUV'd would be a good investment IMHO

Tony
Old 02 June 2004, 12:28 PM
Nick Wadeson
Scooby Regular

I'll see if I can find the ECU and check if a sticker is present, though not sure why you wouldn't attach it yourself at least as a way to use it as an "anti-tamper" check.
Most ECU's are re-programmed by the relevant importer (in this case Subaru Benelux) using Prodrive calibration software, so unfortunately I am not able to put the sticker onto the ECU personally

I have the Prodrive Handling Pack, this lowers the about 25mm and 30mm rear IIRC. The handling and looks are much improved and took some of the Harshness out when STD, no need for a gum shield and if TUV'd would be a good investment IMHO
Thank you for the vote of confidence

We are currently looking into gaining TUV approval on our springs......

Thanks, Nick.