Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Bug-Eye WRX with PPP fitted

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2003, 11:37 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have a Bug-Eye WRX fitted with the Prodrive performance Pack? Did you notice a considerable difference between the standard and the PPP? I want to purchase it but is there anything better for a similar price?
Old 06 December 2003, 02:49 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I had it fitted to my 02 wagon. Not much to see really other than the intercooler hose :

and the stainless back-box with 4" pipe :

Performance is a good improvement - there's a lot more torque at fewer revs and it feels to pull a lot harder due to the torque being spread across a wider rev range. According to Prodrive the new PPP kits uprate the power to 261bhp. The exhaust noise is not excessive IMHO, and has quite a mean sounding burble on idle, and a throaty bark when you jab the throttle.

[Edited by MJW - 12/6/2003 2:51:56 AM]
Old 06 December 2003, 04:54 AM
slingshot
Scooby Regular

Here's one. I believe the post includes a description of the PPP.

http://www.wrxfanatics.com/index.php?showtopic=6489
Old 07 December 2003, 11:34 AM
rapiddescent
Scooby Regular

I've had the PPP fitted to my MY01 bugeye wagon. I have to say that it is bloody good. It has been on airfield days and seems to do rather well - even silencing the wagon jokes about "on the way back from tescos" etc... you can stick the thing sideways and it can get 0-60 a wee bitty faster than before. sub 6seconds they tell me, but to tell you the truth i wasn't looking at my watch!

for normal driving around - the torque seems to come in much earlier allowing you to quite easily drive around town in a much lower rev band and not need to drop a gear to overtake and you'll save a few mpg around town - only to use it powering away with a big grin on your face.

the only minus point is that with the seats down the exhaust sound resonates quite loudly. I have the seats down a lot (own a mountain bike company).

Also, if you are considering track/airfield days then consider getting better brakes and tyres. I've got the pagid n+ setup and have been using the G3DS f1 eagles since the demise of the SO2 tyre. after all, it does go faster and will probably need to stop harder now!

if you do order it - REMEMBER to take both sets of keys with you. they need to reassign the second set of keys. overall - it cost me 1800 + an extra 20 quid a month insurance - well worth it.

rd
Old 07 December 2003, 10:53 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

I had PPP fitted after 1500 miles, and it made a huge difference to the way the car performs. Overtaking now needed one less gear change. Rather than change down from say 4th to 3rd at 60 just press the go pedal and she picks up and gets past. It also restores the boxer growl although will be still be too quite for some owners. Overall a much more responsive car.

Agree with comments above from "rapiddescent" except the price, I paid £1600 fiited which is the going price for PPP for a WRX.
Nigel - UK300-002 PPP

[Edited by nigel s - 12/7/2003 10:55:14 PM]
Old 08 December 2003, 09:26 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Thanks all for your replies. You have convinced me to get my WRX PPP'd ;-)