Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

First mods to STi8

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2003, 10:13 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tasty.

At least this way you get to enjoy the difference each little mod makes.
Old 12 March 2003, 10:23 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
The quickshift felt increadably short at first
Now it feels soooo looooong

Very impressed with the strutt brace though, really settles the car in the twisties

The entry guards are just a subtle thing that adds to the overall appearance, but you don't really notice them!

The Alu gear **** is very cold in the mornings But looks good and is nice when warm
Old 12 March 2003, 11:57 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the price on the entry guard set in Germany?
Old 12 March 2003, 12:29 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

BMWhere - so did you check your email yet?? Regarding this weekend??

Neal

PS: nice extras - pink is a bit out there - good thing it is under the hood though
Old 12 March 2003, 01:17 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

You can't get the STi branded entry guards in Germany, so I ordered them from the UK... same goes for Prodrive gear ****!

You can get the standard "Impreza" or "Subaru" entry guards for around 200Euro (~£137) - I think the "Subaru" ones are slightly cheaper!

The Strutt-brace and quickshift are also not normally available in the German accessories catalogue, but my dealer here has a "secret" STi catalogue that he only shows to enthusiast owners! Parts were ordered directly from STi in Japan, hence they wern't available on delivery!

Cheeseboy,
I'll check me mail now!
Old 12 March 2003, 01:18 PM
ricco
Scooby Regular

Cool number plate
Old 12 March 2003, 01:31 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

well then???
Old 12 March 2003, 01:40 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

how does it compare to your RB5?

nice mods, very subtle

love the alu gear ***
Old 12 March 2003, 02:23 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

RB5 286:
I still have the RB5 back in the UK, so I drove them back to back the other weekend when I was home (before the mods!).

First point has to be the gearbox... I could never find the right gear in the STi, partly 'cos of right hand shift, partly 'cos of 6 speed, but when I got back in the RB5, it also felt wrong - I guess I'm between gearboxes! After the quickshift was fitted + another week of right hand/6 speed changing I'm fealing more at home with the STi gears and don't think I could go back to 5!

Next point is the brakes... I've always had issues with the RB5's brakes, but after driving the STi, the RB5's brakes just felt like sponges and completely underrated for the performance of the car! Although in reality the brakes are pretty good, its just a realtive thing - The STi brakes are fantastic!

On the twisties, the STi (pre strutt-brace) was a real monster, lots of tramlining, very bumpy, very nervous, so the handling of the RB5 was a real pleasure, more subtle and controlable. I feel relaxed with the RB5 and confident it'll do what I want it to do. The STi told me what to do and I just hung on very scared parying for my life. Fitting the strutt brace has really smoothed the STi out and is now an absolute dream to drive, I'm back in control and very happy!

The interior is much nicer in the STi, although the RB5 was pretty good anyway - but thats not really why be buy scoobies is it!?! The seats are about equal although the RB5's were more adjustable!

I've never driven the RB5 without PPP, so not sure how the power delivery was, but compared to the STi with no PPP, the STi takes forever to get the turbo working - The lag is seriously bad and I find I have to drive with 1000-2000 more revs then the RB5 to get it to respond in the same way! This is where the next mods will be concentrated!

Finally the soundtrack! When I fired up the RB5 again, it was pure music! Even at idle, the RB5 with Prodrive exhaust sounds fantastic. When your driving its even better! The STi constantly sounds choked... although its like the brakes, its all relative, the STi does sound great, but compared to the RB5 its pathetic!

Lights - Wow, I can now see at night when the spotlights are off! The main beam on the STi is also pretty good... not as good as the RB5 spots, but much better than the main beam alone!

In summary, both cars have great points and not so great points! I could have modified the RB5 to improve its weaknesses, but the weaknesses were really not so bad and I wanted to keep it 100% standard spec as its a limited car! Before adding the strutt-brace, I was really starting to regret changing, but now I'm very satisfied with the replacement!

Al.
Old 12 March 2003, 02:43 PM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

Nice first mods, agree they are subtle and just add that finishing touch.

Was thinking of doing exactly the same to my new silver STi8, particularly interested on your comments on the strut brace as some people have said they are only worthwhile if you go on track quite a bit.

Peter
Old 12 March 2003, 03:05 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

The JDM spec car comes with the strutt brace! There was a review in Evo of the JDM car and they stressed the point that the strutt-brace made up for the limitations of the STi7 handling on UK roads! That was good enough for me In reality, I'm only putting back a part that was taken off to save money in the European market - IMHO the designers put it there for a reason! If I was doing some serious track day driving, I'd think about putting the rear strutt-brace on too!
Old 12 March 2003, 06:34 PM
broadband boy
Scooby Newbie

looks nice mate
Old 12 March 2003, 07:04 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

BMWhere?, how do you compare the STi quickshift to standard, plus can you give me more details price, contact etc..
Many thanks
Simon
PSI3
Old 12 March 2003, 07:15 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

What about the PPP mate.
Old 12 March 2003, 07:44 PM
SiBurt
Scooby Regular

Cool

BMWhere,lovely car mate.Although i would say that as i have similar mods on my ppp'd silver car.The only differences are that i went for the 'sphere' gear **** & i had the rear strut brace fitted.I'd be really intrested in your comments on the 'closeness'(is there such a word?)of the quickshift as i was talked out of it by my dealer.
Old 13 March 2003, 09:34 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Simon(PCB)/SiBurt:
The quickshift is a big improvement over the std shift! The first time you use it, it feels incredibly short, as if your not even moving the lever. After a day or two's driving, it just becomes normal and no longer feels short. After that other cars shifts feel incredibly long! Prior to getting the STi, my experience of LHD cars was limited to run of the mill hire cars with idiot proof gear shifts, so I never had a problem changing with right hand! With the Scoob though, the shift has to be more precise, so it was far more difficult to shift quickly with the right hand, the quickshift helped improve my right hand shifting no end... the final touches come with experience! Price of quickshift in Germany is €520, but I also got an 8% discount so I paid about £330 including fitting! I just ordered it through the dealer who ordered it directly from STi in Japan.

Steve H:
Would love to fit the PPP, but its no German Tüv approved, so I can't legally fit it here, the dealer has suggested fitting a GpN exhaust and 300bhp chip which sounds like a viable alternative
Old 13 March 2003, 09:45 AM
SU3ARU
Scooby Regular

SiBurt

Have you got any pictures of your car, to see what the mods look like on a silver?

Cheers
Peter
Old 13 March 2003, 03:17 PM
Steve Holmes
Scooby Regular

If you get the German mod done to the engine, give me a shout please as I would be interested to compare?
Old 13 March 2003, 03:54 PM
Andrew Longworth
Scooby Regular

I hope you remembered to remove the spanner from the scuttle pannel when you had done :-)
Old 13 March 2003, 08:28 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

I hope you remembered to remove the spanner from the scuttle pannel when you had done :-)
I was thinking the same thing LOL,
Many thanks for the info BMWhere?

simon
Old 14 March 2003, 08:55 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

...and the protective blue polythene stuff
Old 03 December 2003, 10:06 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Cool

OK, so there not so much mods as the intended delivery spec, but as the parts didn't arrive on time they were retro-fitted

STi Aluminium Strutt Brace

STi (not Prodrive) Quickshift & Prodrive Blue Alu Gear ****

STi Entry Guards

More Pics Here

[Edited by BMWhere? - 3/12/2003 10:08:50 AM]