Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

Spec C with an identity crisis

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2021, 01:57 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Received 453 Likes on 306 Posts
Default Spec C with an identity crisis

The new project arrived yesterday, a narrow track Spec C Limited. The plan is to make this a road going track car.
It was imported in 2018 but has remained unregistered. It appears to have originally been broken for parts and the shell was then purchased to create a track car. The steering and suspension are still Spec C but the engine, gearbox and running gear are from a WRX. I was told this was purely to keep repair costs to a minimum, obviously a 5 speed box is half the price of a 6 speed. This is not the route I would've taken myself but can understand the reasoning and it cost considerably less than a Spec C would have, I'm hoping it'll make a nice project moving forward. The car runs and drives very well and feels light and nimble. It is currently running standard power though so I will be looking to give this a bit of a boost before hitting the track. Here's a couple of pictures, I'll get some more when the weather improves.

The baby approves (even if the wife doesn't!)
The following 3 users liked this post by adam.pah:
Old 11 May 2021, 02:25 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

such a shame when they pull these cars apart ,, I get it, there worth more in parts but its still hard for me to see lol ,, hopefully you will get it back to a good spec again mate as it looks lovely
The following users liked this post:
Old 11 May 2021, 02:30 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by domino46
such a shame when they pull these cars apart ,, I get it, there worth more in parts but its still hard for me to see lol ,, hopefully you will get it back to a good spec again mate as it looks lovely
Me too, that's why I couldn't break my black one. I'm seeing this as a longer term project that I can restore over time and spread out the cost. As it stands, it should still be a fun track car though.
Old 11 May 2021, 03:03 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Received 670 Likes on 519 Posts

300 to 350bhp in that on wrx running gear should still be a blast, even if something breaks its not going to cost an arm and a leg. Looks good mate 👍
Old 11 May 2021, 03:11 PM
domino46
Scooby Regular

Received 264 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by adam.pah
Me too, that's why I couldn't break my black one. I'm seeing this as a longer term project that I can restore over time and spread out the cost. As it stands, it should still be a fun track car though.
yeah its all about the smiles mate not what its got
Old 11 May 2021, 07:28 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

dude, wrong section again

Have the removed the bracing etc or is all the other spec c stuff in place. You will be running more than stock power in no time at all.
Old 11 May 2021, 08:44 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
dude, wrong section again

Have the removed the bracing etc or is all the other spec c stuff in place. You will be running more than stock power in no time at all.
😂😂 I put it here just for you. 😜

It’s still got some of the Spec C bits and seems really well put together. I’m debating whether to keep the STi rear spoiler or go for the original low level one instead. I’d quite like the understated look of the smaller one. The underneath looks very clean, had it jacked up today and there just a bit of surface corrosion on the gearbox mountings that I’ll sort when I underseal in in the next couple of weeks.

Old 11 May 2021, 11:03 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Very clean underneath mate. Theres this stuff I've been using that goes directly on rust, you have to remove the big flakes obviously but its really good. I use it to stop rust coming back think I will use it on the bumper support because we all know thats a problem area after I give it a good clean.

https://www.hammerite.co.uk/product/...-satin-finish/

Cheapest I've found is ECP.

Are you thinking the carbon low level spoiler, genuine or aftermarket. Goes without saying though theres a slippery slope to avoid where you try and make this the same as your RA.
Old 12 May 2021, 12:24 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

I'm going to remove them and soak them in rust remover and then repaint them. I've got all of the materials already, I just need to find the time to do it.
Regarding the rear spoiler, I was thinking of the standard blob wrx one, nothing fancy. That's what it left the factory with and you know I like to keep a stock look where possible.
There's a carbon RA one for sale on FB at the moment for £1200. It was on an RA that got written off at Cadwell last week, such a shame. I actually considered buying that exact car last year but it was starting to get a bit tired with 100k miles.
Old 12 May 2021, 01:22 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

You bought the right RA so don't worry about it.

Old 19 May 2021, 10:33 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

In between the rain showers I managed to get the underneath and arches cleaned, preped and undersealed.
I used the Bilt Hamber Dynax-UC. It's a clear wax formula that should last a couple of years before needing to be topped up.
Doing this on your back on a temporary driveway surface isn't ideal! Once everything was cleaned the application actually only took a couple of hours and that would have been even quicker on a lift.
When it comes to topping it up I'll definitely be looking to rent a lift somewhere for a couple of hours as it would be easier and nicer.

Cheap but very good!

covered it in degreaser. gave it a scrub with soft brush and then jet washed

cleaned up nicely

the crusty gear box cradle

fresh paint. Bushings looked like new so I reused them.

I purchased some of the Deox gel but didn't use any. Just wanted to have it in the cupboard in case I need it at any time.

Painted parts fitted.

the sump looks a bit tired but I'll probably be replacing it so have left it for now.

The clear wax is barely noticeable. It does leave a thin film but otherwise makes it easy to see any corrosion starting.

Last edited by adam.pah; 19 May 2021 at 10:36 AM.
Old 19 May 2021, 10:43 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm going to remove them and soak them in rust remover and then repaint them. I've got all of the materials already, I just need to find the time to do it.
Regarding the rear spoiler, I was thinking of the standard blob wrx one, nothing fancy. That's what it left the factory with and you know I like to keep a stock look where possible.
There's a carbon RA one for sale on FB at the moment for £1200. It was on an RA that got written off at Cadwell last week, such a shame. I actually considered buying that exact car last year but it was starting to get a bit tired with 100k miles.
You could consider the prodrive/uk300 low level spoiler if you want something smaller than STI but not the base WRX one.

I've got one on mine at the moment and it's nicer in person than in pictures I think. Wouldn't mind a spec C one either though!
Old 14 June 2021, 11:43 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Still waiting on the registration but decided to give it a quick clean today as I haven't washed it since it arrived and it was looking grubby.
I should be collecting some parts at the weekend to start on the power bump. I'm sticking with a 5 speed for now as this is supposed to be a cheap track day car so will be looking for a solid 340-350bhp.
Parts list:
- VF35. Rebuilt by AET with their 11 blade billet wheel
- Pink injectors
- STi TMIC
- STi up pipe
- Japspeed 3" sports cat down pipe
- Japspeed induction kit
- Set of PFR7B plugs

Once that's all fitted I'll be adding a new fuel pump and 3 port boost solenoid before mapping. I hoping this should get me in the ball park.
I also bought a set of Oz superleggera that I'll be sending off for powder coating and a set of new Nankang NS2R's.
Before I get on track I'll probably get the brakes overhauled too. Although they look good, I don't know what pads or fluid are in it.

Here's some pictures from this morning. This car isn't a minter by any stretch but it's incredible to think it is 18 years old now, no rust anywhere. Never say never but I can't see myself ever buying a UK Subaru again, the JDM cars are just so clean.

The following 3 users liked this post by adam.pah:
Old 23 June 2021, 01:46 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

I now have most of the parts I wanted and also ended up with a GT spec manifold too! I'll be looking to get them on the car over the next week or so and then get it booked in for a map.
The turbo is a VF35 that's been rebuilt by AET with the 11 blade billet wheel. It's not be used since the rebuild and I'm hoping to make around 340-350bhp when finished.
The DVLA came back to me to say that my cheque was £3 short so there's a little delay to the registration but I'm hoping it should be sorted out quickly.

Old 23 June 2021, 02:26 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

OZ ultraleggras Brilliant wheels. But them I'm also biased about them loooooooooooooooool
The following 2 users liked this post by NOSSY_89:
Old 23 June 2021, 02:30 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Out of curiosity mate what effect will the headers have at your power? Arnt the standard headers are good for 400 or something..... I may get some for mine only because they look nice and shiny 👍
Old 23 June 2021, 03:22 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johno01
Out of curiosity mate what effect will the headers have at your power? Arnt the standard headers are good for 400 or something..... I may get some for mine only because they look nice and shiny 👍
Yeah, you’re right, the headers won’t make much difference and this power level BUT they are much lighter than the stock ones and less weight is important on a track car. I wouldn’t have bothered but the guy had them sitting there and I got a cracking deal so thought I may as well. 😁
quality is definitely not to the standard of the RCM ones though…
Old 23 June 2021, 03:34 PM
johno01
Scooby Regular

Yeah, you’re right, the headers won’t make much difference and this power level BUT they are much lighter than the stock ones and less weight is important on a track car. I wouldn’t have bothered but the guy had them sitting there and I got a cracking deal so thought I may as well. 😁
quality is definitely not to the standard of the RCM ones though…
cheers mate 👍
Old 15 July 2021, 02:25 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

I finally got round to fitting all the parts and the car started back up today. Having never really done any of my own mechanical work it was a good experience. I do have a new hatred for seized bolts now though!
I had a change of mind regarding the headers and up pipe and decided to go for a set of ported OEM's with a Harvey Smith up pipe. After talking with Alyn (ASP) I think this is the best set up for me.
As always, there were a few challenges, the main one being the exhaust didn't mate up to the new sports cat down pipe. Fortunately I was able to source a Japspeed exhaust that is the correct length. Fitment is 'so, so' and I may change it in the future but it will do for now. I also had the OZ's powder coated and tires fitted and got the injectors cleaned and flow tested.
Still no sign of the registration.......

Fuji racing pump

using the pre-cat bung for wideband sensor for the AFR gauge

had a post cat bung welded in for oem narrow band sensor

Billet VF35 freshly built by AET

I needed to trim the heat shield to fit the new turbo. After fitting it I realised I have a spare STi one sitting in the shed!

Has ASP check them over and they are perfectly matched with new seals.

Decided on the ported headers after a good chat with AS Performance. should offer good spool for this turbo

Original exhaust I planned to use was too short

Japspeed exhaust fitted now

The middle hanger was fouling this bolt for the heat shield. I tried to find a way to resolve the issue but in the end decided to just remove the bolt instead!

central resonator is very close to the body. I'll wait to see if there's any banging

Still waiting to fit the STi TMIC as I didn't realise the Y pipe was different to the WRX one. should be fitted early next week. The intercooler is a bit tatty but should do a job. I need to get the correct undertray though.

Burping the system. I knew I'd find a use for this!

Set of blue stuff pads ready to go on once the current ones are dead.

Wheels look like new now. Probably not the best colour for a track car but I liked the white so stuck with it.

The following 2 users liked this post by adam.pah:
Old 15 July 2021, 02:56 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Looking good mate. Oh and just so you know when you turn around those Oz Ultraleggras get dirty looooool. Don't ask me how or why they just do
Old 15 July 2021, 08:53 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Yep, it may have been a bad decision to keep them white! I’ve never had a car with white wheels though.
Old 15 July 2021, 09:33 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Yep, it may have been a bad decision to keep them white! I’ve never had a car with white wheels though.
White wheels are cool mate. Had a set on the blob and then had a set of OZ Ultraleggras (such a good wheel) on the classic. I remember I took it to the car wash and by the time I got home the wheels were already dirty . Be thankful you aren't @johno01 I don't know how he does it with his OCD

Last edited by NOSSY_89; 15 July 2021 at 09:34 PM.
Old 16 July 2021, 09:58 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Johno01's wheels are clean enough to eat off of! I need to find out what he uses on them...
Old 16 July 2021, 11:41 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

He needs to share his secret or is it that he just cleans them so much lol That way you never see a spec of dirt on them lol.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:24 PM
overactor
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im glad that you saved it. And doing a great job of it. I wish that the special edition cars wouldnt be parted out. hopefully by the time I can import one stateside there will be a few around to buy. An s203 or an ra would be perfect.
Old 16 July 2021, 08:35 PM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by overactor
Im glad that you saved it. And doing a great job of it. I wish that the special edition cars wouldnt be parted out. hopefully by the time I can import one stateside there will be a few around to buy. An s203 or an ra would be perfect.
Thanks. It’s a fine line for me because I’d love to completely restore it to OEM but at the same time have to remember that I bought it as a ‘budget’ track car. Over time I may try to get it back to its original state, at this point it’s probably cheaper just to buy one though! 😂

I absolutely love my Type RA. I would have been happy with either an RA or S203 but very glad I got the RA in the end. It’s just so raw, can’t ever see myself parting with it now. 😁
Old 16 July 2021, 08:50 PM
overactor
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was just reading your RA thread. Great car! Ive thought about buying one there and leaving at one of my friends farms in Ireland. Im sure they all being Rally guys would take her out to blow the cob webs out Along the atlantic coast haha
Old 16 July 2021, 08:52 PM
Mustoe91
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Absolutely class selection you have there pal can’t beat a white blob one day I will own one myself just a heads up I had a sports cat and japspeed exhaust and I wasn’t allowed on at castle comb as it was 104 decibels but then again Combe is really strict being 100 decibels limit just thought I’d mention it
Old 17 July 2021, 06:20 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by overactor
Was just reading your RA thread. Great car! Ive thought about buying one there and leaving at one of my friends farms in Ireland. Im sure they all being Rally guys would take her out to blow the cob webs out Along the atlantic coast haha
Thanks. It took me a couple of years to find what I was looking for and pull the trigger. As you’ll have seen in that tread, it wasn’t perfect either. It’s getting harder to find them now and with the way prices are going it could be a wise decision to buy one and put it away. Once they get to the point where the US can import them, the prices will rocket!
Old 17 July 2021, 06:27 AM
adam.pah
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mustoe91
Absolutely class selection you have there pal can’t beat a white blob one day I will own one myself just a heads up I had a sports cat and japspeed exhaust and I wasn’t allowed on at castle comb as it was 104 decibels but then again Combe is really strict being 100 decibels limit just thought I’d mention it
Thanks, I do like a white blob! 😂
Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust. My mate has the same way on his dedicated track car and said he usually doesn’t have issues but avoids the strict tracks.
in the longer term I’ll probably speak with Ian at Hayward & Scott and get him to put a race box on it. That’s £700 that can wait a while though. I’m looking at Snetterton as a first outing and I think their limit is 105db so that should give me an idea of what it makes. One of my mates said that you can get an attachment that fixes to the tail pipe and acts as an additional silencer so I may explore that idea too. 👍

Quick Reply: Spec C with an identity crisis