Notices
Member's Gallery Pictures of your pride and joy

New to the scene! - White 95 Impreza WRX, and in need of some friendly advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2014, 10:26 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New to the scene! - White 95 Impreza WRX, and in need of some friendly advice!

Hello all,

Thought I would introduce myself, I have just purchased a 95 Impreza WRX.

Little bit behind the car/me....

I have always been into my cars and have only ever owned Toyotas! A Paseo as my first car, then a mk2 MR2 followed by my last car a ST205 GT4 which was an absolute dream of a car and I regretted selling it but damn was it costly to run....(had to go for a house purchase)

Skip on a few months and I felt like I needed something fun again and an Impreza seemed to fit the bill!

This car in particular was sold by my dad about 9 years ago as a fresh import and we kept in touch with the family ever since, fast forward 9 years and it has barely changed since it was first imported!

It was used regularly up until last year where it has stood for a year and they wanted it to go to someone who would appreciate it and turn it back to its former glory which is where i step in!

My GT4

The Impreza!

I know my GT4 had orange wheels but rest assured the rest was pretty OE, and I do not intend to stick lexus lights and huge exhausts on this Impreza infact it has a Kakimoto exhaust I would like to remove for something smaller!

So if you've read this far, thank you! If i can now ask for some advice!?

So, firstly, beside Tein Coilovers, a kakimoto backbox and an ARC dump valve she is standard. (I think)

Upon my first drive home I have noticed the following:

• I'm 99% sure i hit fuel cut on the way home i wasnt giving the engine a beating but just testing the turbo and it pulled well then hit a brick wall like i had before in my Celica and the check engine light came on- I can't see any type of manual boost control so is there any prone turbo issues with these? sticky actuator etc?
  • Secondly dropping down from 4th to 3rd is quite nothchy,it had an exedy clutch a year ago but im hoping its something else- does the gearbox linkage cause problems on these or is likely to be a syncro?
  • Lastly the speedo/odometer does not work, again im guessing this is related to the above but where should i be looking?

That aside, I will give a fluid change inc oils etc, filter and plugs but any other recommendations are most welcome!

Thank you for any advice!
Old 04 June 2014, 10:56 PM
optimus
Scooby Regular

search is my friend, looks like the speedo cable not working can cause the car to go into limp mode aka bring on boost cut at 4k (i didnt see if it was around 4k today but It definitely wasn't at the top)

so hopefully its this as finding turbo hose leaks is a bloody pain.....
Old 04 June 2014, 11:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As said, if speedo not working, limited to around 4kish, the notchy gear change is probably synchros, its nearly 20 yr old after all :-)
Old 04 June 2014, 11:45 PM
Miller-SoT
Scooby Regular

I would have gone without the house and kept the GT4

Oh yeah, hi mate
Old 04 June 2014, 11:58 PM
chieftain333
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised the speedo cable puts it into limp mode?! It's just a cable,mine snapped and it ran fine for 2 weeks whilst getting a replacement. Mine also hit boost cut which was down to a dodgy maf. My cable had snapped as it entered the gearbox (bends at a 45 degree angle) cost me about 45 quid to buy replacement and easily accessible looking down towards the top of the gearbox

Last edited by chieftain333; 05 June 2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05 June 2014, 12:10 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

thanks for the kind replies and information people; I know it sounds strange cheftain but after much research tonight it seems this is a common issue so we'll have to see, ill check the error codes tommorrow!

I just need to work out which bit it is gearbox banana end or the cable to speedo, it hasn't been converted to miles yet so i dont think its a dodgy converter like some have mentioned.

I guess it is old so to be expected, ill change the oil and see what that does but if not ill live with 4th to 2nd lol...

The GT4 was a beast, it got so many looks and comments as it was so different but too expensive to run!!