Notices

Wiring needed for JDM HID's into blobeye

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2013, 05:33 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring needed for JDM HID's into blobeye

Obviously everyone will have a different way of doing this, but this gives you the basic info to have a go at making the loom yourselves.

Basic parts needed for the job:

3 meters of black high current wire
3 meters of red high current wire
40 Amp 4 pin relay
30 Amp in-line fuse
Yellow insulated female spade connectors
Yellow ring terminal

Optional, some sort of scotch clip to get feed from factory dipped beam wiring, im trying to source a factory plug to use instead.

I did have heatshrink wrap for the connectors, but was too big to shrink small enough for the wiring and too small to fit over the insulated terminals, so used
insulation tape instead.

First of all i started by crimping a spade terminal and ring terminal to either end of the in-line fuse, this will connect to the battery and other end to
pin 30 on the relay.

I then cut off a 2 meter length of each colour of wire, these will be use to get power to the drivers side ballast. I cut off a 2 meter length to give me
chance to route the wires better and tie them out of the way, although 1.8 meters should be more than enough.

I then went about sorting the wires that needs to go to ground (pin 86). For this there will be 4 wires going to this pin, one going to the chassis ground, one going to each ballast
and last one going to the dipped beam ground wire.

Next was the power to each ballast, this would go to pin 87 on the relay

Finally is just a single wire from pin 85, to the dipped beam power wire.

Here's the finished loom, obviously when i fit this to the car, it will be tidied up abit, and tied out the way as much as possible.
Only thing missing is from the finished picture are that there are two wires which are not connected to anything or have a terminal on the end, these wires are
for the positive and ground wires that will be on the factory dipped beam plug

And here'd the loom in action

Last edited by oli_p; 17 November 2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 31 October 2013, 09:07 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing for this. It's one of those things where everyone says "do a search" but whenever you do, it's just people saying "do a search"

I begin to wonder if anyone has actually done it!
Old 31 October 2013, 09:08 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

I cant find anything, anything ive found is nothing specific on what actually needs to be done either.
Old 31 October 2013, 09:18 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

have just PM'd a member on here, to see if he can shed any light on it
Old 01 November 2013, 06:46 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

If it's the same as a bugeye, you need to earth the HID ballast to the chassis otherwise the HIDs go off when on main beam leaving a dead patch when you switch back
Old 01 November 2013, 08:15 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Have a look here oli_p this might help:http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2408002.SJ.
Old 01 November 2013, 01:03 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Cheers SJ, will take a better look when I get home and have alook at at my hid lights. May look into getting a harness from somewhere and wiring it up similarly, unsure if I should wait for a more concrete answer though as unsure how much the big setup would be from the blob, just worried that ill power the lights and blow something that would be a few £££ down the drain
Old 01 November 2013, 03:34 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

found this aswell but probably not best way as will mean custom off oem plug. but will post any ideas I find on here, least then people will have abit of info etc to go off

How to install 2004 JDM STI HIDs on 2004 WRX

1) Disable the DRLs by disconnecting the DRL module behind the glove box. This is important.

2)On each headlight, there is a short pigtail lead that goes from the ballast to a black 2-prong plug. Remove these black plugs. You will then have one red and one black wire coming out of each ballast. The red are your positive leads and the black are the negative (ground) leads.

3) Solder a 18"-24" length of black wire onto each of the the existing black wires an put a ring terminal on the end of each.

4) LEFT HEADLIGHT (driver's side): Cut off the existing grey plug that plugged into your low beams and remove a few inches of the black protective tubing. You will have a yellow/red wire and a red/blue wire. Cap off the yellow/red wire - you will not be using it. Ensure that the red/blue wire is positive and is energized when the headlight switch is in the on position. Solder the red/blue wire to the red wire coming out of the ballast. Use heat shrink to weatherproof the connection. Take the black wire with the ring terminal on the end and attach it to the ground point next to the battery.

4) RIGHT HEADLIGHT (passenger's side): Cut off the existing grey plug that plugged into your low beams and remove a few inches of the black protective tubing. You will have a yellow/red wire and a blue/white wire. Cap off the yellow/red wire - you will not be using it. Ensure that the blue/white wire is positive and is energized when the headlight switch is in the on position. Solder the blue/white wire to the red wire coming out of the ballast. Use heat shrink to weatherproof the connection. Take the black wire with the ring terminal on the end and attach it to the ground point next to the air box.

5) Plug in the high beams and clearance/signal lights on both sides.

6) Properly aim the lights.

7) Enjoy your HID light
Old 01 November 2013, 03:58 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

most threads just seem to mention using the lightwerkz harness, although there are two types they sell, guy used the more expensive one on and 04-05 wrx.

Anyone know where you maybe able to purchase the plugs from that would fit the JDM ballasts? could take this to local auto electrician see if they can make something up maybe
Old 01 November 2013, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Like this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-D2S-D...item589e1f5965

Or like this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-HID-...item27cec73f16
Old 01 November 2013, 06:10 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

like the top connector, need female one, that comes off ballast.

Old 01 November 2013, 06:11 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

I was tempted to just purchase the lightwerkz loom, works out to be £47, but doesn't give you shipping options, as only states free shipping to the US, and doesn't add anything on at checkout
Old 01 November 2013, 06:26 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Will people get trouble come mot time or....?

Chris
Old 01 November 2013, 06:29 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

don't believe so, technically a factory item just not on uk cars, but will still have correct light pattern etc, plus fairly sure it only states if a car is fitted with auto levelling system and washer jets that they have to work
Old 01 November 2013, 06:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The above is true.

That connector looks like a fairly standard waterproof 6.25mm male spade setup. The female parts ought to be available.
Try here: www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk
Old 01 November 2013, 07:15 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Good news.... May get on the hunt for a set then but there rocking horse ****, theres one light on flea for 400 :s
Old 01 November 2013, 07:20 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Passed on a set on these very forums for £200 a while ago because I couldn't find instructions, silly move in hindsight but they do pop up occasionally
Old 01 November 2013, 07:24 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Very forums?
Old 01 November 2013, 07:25 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

I may email lightwerkz and see what the deal with ordering from them is. Id of gone a head with the purchase just it never gave a delivery price and didn't change or add anything on just before payment either.

If I can find the correct female plugs, ill just take pics from the lightwerkz site and get look made up
Old 01 November 2013, 07:26 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K3ogh_sti
Very forums?
He meant on here
Old 01 November 2013, 07:36 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The above is true.

That connector looks like a fairly standard waterproof 6.25mm male spade setup. The female parts ought to be available.
Try here: www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk
Cant seem to find a plug/connector to match, unless im missing something??
Old 01 November 2013, 07:39 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

by look of it this is the correct kit for the blob

http://shop.lightwerkz.net/OEM-STi-HID-Wiring-Harness

Think I may send them an email about shipping to uk
Old 01 November 2013, 07:52 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

^ nice find dude! Makes it easy for people like me that hasnt got a clue about electrics
Old 01 November 2013, 07:54 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

too be honest I don't think it would be too hard to make myself, but I sure if I did it, that wouldn't turn out as neat. works out at £47, but then you have shipping cost and import tax on top
Old 02 November 2013, 06:11 AM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

too be honest I may take a crack at this myself, will probably just make up a short loom at first to test passenger side light, if works ok make a full / tidier loom.

Anyone recommend on the best amp fused relay to get or that should be adequate for the purpose, also what gauge wiring would be ideal aswell???

From what I can tell , it would be chassis earth wire to earth pin on relay, along with, earth wire to ballast, and earth wire that taps into original low beam earth, then 12v from battery to 12v pin on relay, then the power wires from both ballasts, and the wire that taps into the original low beam power to the switched live on the relay??

But surely that wouldn't be right unless it was a 3 pin relay, unless ive missed something off??
Probably have, only just out of bed for work so still half asleep
Old 02 November 2013, 06:15 AM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

nevermind, the earth pin to earths and chassis earth, ballast power to accessory power on relay, 12v from battery to relay, then old low beam power to switched live on relay, that probably seems more correct??

Really not keen how lightwerkz, have just used wire taps on the original low beam wiring, surely would of been better to of sources the male plug and had a direct plug to plug into to make it neater

Last edited by oli_p; 02 November 2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02 November 2013, 06:49 AM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

Ill have a look on where you can the relevant plugs from needed etc and then provide links for them or do a step by step guide and if all works maybe sticky it so easy to find for people to do themselves
Old 02 November 2013, 06:50 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

not having much luck finding the right connector plugs at the mo, trying to find something that will fit the standard factory male plug, and a female of the top plug shown in pic above, if anyone has any luck let me know
Old 02 November 2013, 07:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Why not cut of the standard factory male plug and replace it with a pair, male and female from that site I posted? They do matched pairs in waterproof.
Old 02 November 2013, 08:28 PM
oli_p
Scooby Regular

would prefer not to, mainly incase I ever change car back to standard it would be a simple swap for standard lights again. I'll keep looking though sure i'll find something