Getting 12V to an Impreza Wagon boot

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2013, 12:03 AM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting 12V to an Impreza Wagon boot

Hi,

I've had a good read about and found that a lot of USA wagon owners have picked up a spare connector on their wiring harness which feeds a 12V accessory socket in the cargo area.

I've had my trim off and had a rummage but don't appear to have this.

I DO appear to have the relay/fuse for the heated seats and rear acc socket, so I'm wondering if I can pick up the 12V part way back? Possibly at the b pillar.

Obviously, I could add my own fuse and run a new wire all the way down the car, but I'm looking for the method that will result in the least amount of trim removal (and clip snapping )

Has anyone managed to pick up or run 12V to the Wagon boot easily?

Does anyone have any tips on easy routing if I need to add my own connection from scratch?

Need to keep the beer and bacon cold when camping
Old 02 May 2013, 09:55 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I would run it from the battery, via an inline fuse and a relay, so it's not live when the ignition is off...this last stops you flattening the battery with it, but isn't vital.

To be honest, the side floor-level trims come off very easily and a wire can be put in there, there's loads of room. The clips don't break, they are soft and can be eased out with a screwdriver, then the trim pulls off.

Coming through the front bulkhead is perhaps the hardest, but there is an oval grommet on the near side, quite low down, I cut a cross in mine and fed the wire through from the engine compartment, with a bit of stiff wire taped to it to make it easier to find.

The whole job can be done in under an hour.

You could even mount a lighter-type socket in the boot, they are available off ebay cheap.
Old 04 May 2013, 09:20 AM
Konan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for the info there. Sounds like it's probably picker to pick up from the battery than try to use the OEM provision then.

There's a recess in the foam behind the trim in the boot that will make mounting a socket (or 2) easy enough. It's easy to wire up to from the loom too. Might even add a split charge system in there whilst I'm at it.