Notices

headunit wiring gods......please help

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2012, 05:40 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default headunit wiring gods......please help

right before we start let me just say that when it comes to me and electrics...................im thick as 2 very short very thick planks so beware

right i have test fitted my pioneer headunit (deh-p6900ib) that was working fine when removed from my calibra 3 years ago and it wont power up when fitted to the scoob,i had the electrician at work test the wiring with his volt-a-ma-thingy and he said there is no power running thru the wires so we checked the fuse behind the keypad in the drivers foot well and it was fine

heres some pics of what i have got

i think this little wire is for the snooper thing on the dash,it was hanging down by my clutch pedal,the previous owner said the snooper was hard wired to the stereo what ever that means

im guessing the 2 white wires are for the sub/amp he had in the boot and the black cable with the jack plug is the power cable for the headunit

this fits fine in the back of the headunit

the sparky at work thinks this may be the earth.....

in the boot area is this

there is a red cable going to the battery with an inline fuse im guessing it was powering the amp

i fitted the jack plug and black box connector thing in the back of the pioneer but it showed no life

any idea whats wrong? is there another fuse anywhere i should know about?

really getting pissed off now with this,the sparky tested the wiring with the ignition on and off but nothing

somebody help me cos im about to rip the dash out and eat it

ggrrrr
Old 14 August 2012, 10:31 PM
drive
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First pic the black plug you have
Red=constant live
Yellow= switched live/ignition
Black= earth
Blue= electric aerial/or remote power for amp
Orange = would be illumination

Second pic could have been a mic for a hands free kit follow it to see where it goes to

Ok the third pic the one next to the white RCA leads is your plug from ariel fella
The boot pic the red is the live from the battery the blue is the remote/powerlead which comes from the back of the stereo it turns the amp
On when the headunit is turned on

Hope this helps m8

Is there a fuse on the back of the stereo??

Last edited by drive; 14 August 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 14 August 2012, 10:34 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spade connector in pic five is an earth that connects to the mounting frame, there's a tab on the right hand bracket.
Old 14 August 2012, 10:53 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Top picture- the black plug ISo lead with all the wires in it should power your sterio when plugged in and the white iso block with wires in it is the speaker wires, plug these two into sterio and should work.
The black wire with metal point on it is aireal plug for radio. All the other wires you don't need.
If that doesn't work you have a further problem due to last owner where they have messed the wiring up.
If you were close to me I'd ask you to bring round for me to have a look.
Old 14 August 2012, 10:59 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Top picture- the black plug ISo lead with all the wires in it should power your sterio when plugged in and the white iso block with wires in it is the speaker wires, plug these two into sterio and should work.
The black wire with metal point on it is aireal plug for radio. All the other wires you don't need.
If that doesn't work you have a further problem due to last owner where they have messed the wiring up.
If you were close to me I'd ask you to bring round for me to have a look.
Looking at it again you should only need the black iso plug to work your unit, but seem to see wires going from that to the white iso, maybe he had two separate units running?
Old 14 August 2012, 11:16 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

To just test the radio put both yellow and red wires together and put direct to live terminal on battery along with the earth to the negative, if stereo powers up you know its fine, also that black iso plug is that an aftermarket adaptor in to the original subaru loom? Radio requires 2 12v feeds, the yellow wire is direct connect to a 12v source and the red to a switched live ( ignition barrell ) and black to earth, if the original subaru loom is intact and that iso plug is an after market adapter to fit after market stereo then check that the pins out of the back of the radio match the live feeds on the iso adapter as in some cases with certain stereos they will be in a different place (not in all cases tho) as often people dont realize and just direct connect radio to a power source, if you really wanted to get power to the radio and are not bothered about the harness then join the red and yellow together and take your live feed from the cigarette lighter, although i would not recomend it!! That is simply a quick fix and would require you to turn the stereo on and off by hand as it would not be on ignition switch so would work without keys in the car and often leads to battery drain.

Also check the earth as jon said above the earth is that spade so it may not be in that iso loom you have so try pushing a piece of wire (just to quick test) in to the spade and push it on to the black wire in the iso plug to see if it powers up as you may just be Missing an earth, and you should find at least one 12v source behind the stero
As it is a main feed to keep memory on the stero and is often in the main harness of the car and covered by a main fuse under the bonnet, the 12v switched feed is normally covered by your in car fuse box.

Hope that makes sense lol and sorry for grammer im on the poxy i phone, i got fat fingers and im tired lol! If you want any info feel free to ask

Craig
Old 15 August 2012, 06:43 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

The black is the ISO plug for the back of the stereo however it doesn't look like the white end is connected to the cars harness in the pic?