Notices

dual (main & dipped) on 1 headlight Blob STI

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2012, 12:36 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual (main & dipped) on 1 headlight Blob STI

hey folks as ive just purchased new headlights that allows me to run a CF intake through the headlights

(leaving my inner light MAIN Beam??) inopperable

can i (im sure its possible) to run both dipped and main beam through the outer headlights?

im hoping alcazar can clarify this for me and if he or anyone has a site to direct me to to buy them

cheers

steve
Old 07 January 2012, 12:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Woops, some misconceptions here.

Firstly, if you choose to use one of the headlights as a CAF, you can't use the other on it's own, and if you get a pedantic MoT tester, the other should be removed too, since the lighting laws state that "driving lights should be fitted and operate in pairs at all times."
A headlight is the same as a driving light for the purposes of MoT.

Secondly, it sounds like you have gone for the aftermarket headlights which use ONE pair of lights for main beam and the other pair for dip?

If so, it's almost 100% certain that the bulbs will be single filament, H1, H7 etc. And if that IS the case, then no, sorry, you can't do as you suggested and use them for main/dip.

The above WAS possible with clasic Morettes etc, since they used a Cibie 5 3/4" unit for main dip, which took an H4 bulb.

Should you find that the lights you have DO use an H4, then you can do as you suggested, just bear in mind the advice about the other pair
Old 07 January 2012, 12:58 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Woops, some misconceptions here.

Firstly, if you choose to use one of the headlights as a CAF, you can't use the other on it's own, and if you get a pedantic MoT tester, the other should be removed too, since the lighting laws state that "driving lights should be fitted and operate in pairs at all times."
A headlight is the same as a driving light for the purposes of MoT.

Secondly, it sounds like you have gone for the aftermarket headlights which use ONE pair of lights for main beam and the other pair for dip?

If so, it's almost 100% certain that the bulbs will be single filament, H1, H7 etc. And if that IS the case, then no, sorry, you can't do as you suggested and use them for main/dip.

The above WAS possible with clasic Morettes etc, since they used a Cibie 5 3/4" unit for main dip, which took an H4 bulb.

Should you find that the lights you have DO use an H4, then you can do as you suggested, just bear in mind the advice about the other pair
cheers for the reply mate i was going to use the other headlight as a single also and not use the inner light

this would mean that both my dipped and main are running on both the outer headlights?

is the H4 dual beam ? dont believe the blobs ran these thought H1 &H7 ?

could the blob run H4?

steve
Old 07 January 2012, 01:02 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

this is what i bought mate

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-parts-...ir-intake.html

steve
Old 07 January 2012, 01:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not sure, I thought blobs ran two single filament lamps.

If they do, you can't have dip and main on the outers.
And you must disable the single non-air intake inner.

If they run a double filament bulb, you can do what you like, taking into account running lights in pairs.
Old 07 January 2012, 02:00 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Yeah they run two singles I'll disable the inner non intake one and run high quality lights in the dipped beam

Do you have any personal recommendations for dipped beam lights ?

Steve
Old 07 January 2012, 02:02 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

I'm taking it that the car will not pass an mot without the main beams installed ?

And to my last post would you recommend a hid for my dipped beam like 4300k or a really good normal light

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 07 January 2012, 05:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Whoa, you MIGHT get away with the MoT with only dip beams, since that's the only beam pattern actually measured, and whose height is checked, UNDER LAST YEAR'S REGS.
But you'd need a long hard look at the NEW MoT regs before doing that, since they MAY include main beams.

I haven't much experience of blob lights, but IF they are any good, then a 4300K HID MIGHT be the answer, but again, you could fall foul of MoT regs this year.

Maybe start off with a pair of Halfords BOGOF Ultra-Brilliance bulbs, see how you do?
If you are doing away with lighting in favour of cooling, you maybe don't do much night-time out of town driving?
Old 07 January 2012, 06:20 PM
stevemoir
Scooby Regular

Well my mot is due in April when do the new regs come into force ?

I'm going to go with what you said about the halfords light are you sure there still bogof?

Steve
Old 07 January 2012, 06:45 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

New regs were GOING to be advisory for three months from 01/01/2012, but would seem now to be being applied from that date

The government seem to have applied the added bits to the MoT to get us inline with Europe, but conveniently forgotten the bit that said it should be once every TWO years

Halfords bulbs were still BOGOF today