Airbag fault light

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2011, 09:17 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag fault light

Hi All,

MY98 Impreza with driver and passenger airbags. The airbag light was coming on intermittently - didn't seem to be any real pattern to it - usually it would stay on from startup, sometimes going off while driving, sometimes coming on while driving. Now though it's just staying on all the time.

Is there a way of getting it to flash a code to say what module is causing the error, as per the check engine light for ECU error codes? If so I could have a look at whatever it complains about, but if not I'm in the dark really. I had a quick look at the driver's airbag as it the rotating connectors in the wheel seem most likely to give trouble - all looked ok though and horn still works ok.

Failing a DIY solution, is the dealer able to get codes out and diagnose the fault quickly?
Old 07 September 2011, 08:45 AM
frodge
Scooby Regular

when mine started to do that i found it was the connector for the sensor in the seat , it had come loose due to the seat moving forwards and backwards when changing from me driving to the missus .
i am sure the dealer can get the codes but i would check all connections first
Old 07 September 2011, 01:21 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks. But why would there be airbag wiring to the seat in a car with only twin (frontal) airbags? I will check anyway.
Old 07 September 2011, 01:26 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Thanks. But why would there be airbag wiring to the seat in a car with only twin (frontal) airbags? I will check anyway.
It connects to the seatbelt pre-tensioner in the seatbelt usually. Can't say I've noticed it on mine.
Old 07 September 2011, 02:52 PM
frodge
Scooby Regular

they have a sensor in the seat to detect if someone is sitting on it , certainly on the passenger , although i am referring to my wifes laguna as my type r doesnt have airbags , just though it might be worth a look , her vectra did the same thing .
i have just had a look at the manual for one and it does indeed look like they dont have a sensor just a switch in the seat belt clip .
sorry