Notices

Fitting HID to blobeye- any tips ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 July 2011, 08:28 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting HID to blobeye- any tips ??

Shortly going to be fitting aftermarket HID lights to my 2005 blobeye, fitted a few sets off these lights before to past cars but just wonder if there is any tips etc that anyone could pass on to make things a bit easier ??!! does not look a great off space to get your hand in to fix the ballast, where did you other fellow blobeye owners fit the ballast to ?? use a relay cable or power straight from battery ??

will be using the H1 dipped beam type

thanks
Old 28 July 2011, 08:53 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Ballast's fit neatly under the headlight units them self
Old 28 July 2011, 09:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks for that, you fitted a set yourself in the past ?? do you have to remove anything else to get to the headlights or under them to fit the ballasts ?? how did you secure the ballasts ?? relay cable required ??
Old 28 July 2011, 09:20 PM
Mike-K
Scooby Regular

Hi mate. Unless you know a 'friendly' mot tester I wouldn't bother fitting them because they will be an mot fail from next year if you don't have headlamp washers and self levelling headlamps.
Old 28 July 2011, 09:29 PM
-shane-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mike-K
Hi mate. Unless you know a 'friendly' mot tester I wouldn't bother fitting them because they will be an mot fail from next year if you don't have headlamp washers and self levelling headlamps.
I find this hard to believe as the mot tester cant remove things so how will there be able to find them? if not just swap bulbs back,

Very easy mate plug and play just remove head lights
Old 28 July 2011, 11:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers sorry you saying you have to remove each headlamp to gain access ?? this easy enough done on the blobeye ??

thanks also for the info on the mot, having had aftermarket HID kits fitted for over 6 years now in my previous cars all I can say is if the blobeye is as easy to do as the rest off them will simply swap them over come mot time.

infact swapped a set over to the normal bulbs within the space off three minutes just the other day on my other car, obviously HID lights / wiring etc was still all there but thats all the time that was required to swap the bulbs back over !!
Old 29 July 2011, 04:31 AM
beanys
Scooby Regular

my wrx2005 failed because i fitted HIDS as well, guttted MOT tester said they are illegal and will get stop by police and fined

Trending Topics

Old 29 July 2011, 09:12 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beanys
my wrx2005 failed because i fitted HIDS as well, guttted MOT tester said they are illegal and will get stop by police and fined
Okay thanks for sharing mate and that is bad luck, to be honest thou you are the first owner off a car equipped with aftermarket HID lights that I have heard off failing an mot for them fitted.

should have just done what I done and change the bulbs back to normal come mot time !!
fined by the police ?? - be amazed if they are going to stop every car equipped with HID lights and check for washers etc especially now that HID lights on new cars are so common.

lastly, since it not until next year these things apparantly will fail the mot find it strange that the guy who tested yours is claiming they are illegal now ?? me thinks he has heard this rumour and acted upon it now.

You did not take the car to quick fit or similar place for your MOT did you ??!!
Old 29 July 2011, 09:30 AM
JazzRST
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, pretty easy to fit them just done mine, but I took the headlights out to make sure I got the HID position correct and the wires tidy, I wired them straight without any relay but I have noticed that when I use the flashers the HIDs light up slighty aswel? Any1 know why? Must have done something wrong? As with MOT failing the guys are correct I was lucky to have a 'friendly' guy I asways use but yea it would be a fail otherwise.
Old 29 July 2011, 10:14 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers appreciatte the info, yours a blobeye as well yep ?? the headlamps easy enough to remove ??

regards the mot- they are saying the new law comes into force from next year, why the guy above failed the mot is a bit off a mystery to me ?? have past the last two mots with HID lights fitted, prior to that I simply removed the bulbs and fitted the normal ones come MOT time .dad has just had his car motd a few weks ago with aftermarket HID lights fitted as well without any problem and this was one off the major garages not some back street garage !!

Last edited by jono300; 29 July 2011 at 10:18 AM.