Hawkeye Rear lights on a Bugeye - assistance required

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2011, 11:10 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hawkeye Rear lights on a Bugeye - assistance required

Hi Guys,

I recently bought some Hawkeye rear lights for Bugeye, and I was aware of the fitting issues due to the change in design on the lights on the blob/Hawk, however when I installed the lights I noticed that it WAS NOT the bottom curved area of the lights preventing them gong back flush. I was going to install them as far back as I could, and then draw around the light and gently cut the bumper away, but it appears that its not the bumper preventing them from going back flush, well not yet anyway, so what is?....

What are your views please, Im also on the lookout for a blob bumper in 01G Premium Silver for the future

So from a distance they look just "ok"
Name:  240720111096.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  128.3 KB

Still look ok'ish
Name:  240720111097.jpg
Size:  119.0 KB

Now you can see the obvious problem
Name:  240720111098.jpg
Size:  131.0 KB

and again
Name:  240720111099-1.jpg
Size:  102.7 KB

Not very clear pics, but you can see that the bottom lip of the light isnt causing any issues "yet", however the are fully bolted on so why isnt it going further back
Name:  240720111101-1.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  240720111100.jpg
Size:  67.0 KB

Last edited by Rob Day; 24 July 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 24 July 2011, 11:21 AM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you put the different lights back to back to see if there is any difference, might spot something that is causing the problem.
Old 24 July 2011, 11:42 AM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the lights out, iirc theres a whole "tab" on the hawkeye lights thats different, remove it, and they should sit flush.

take a pic and post it up if needed, inside top somewhere.
Old 24 July 2011, 11:44 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 95turbowagon
Have you put the different lights back to back to see if there is any difference, might spot something that is causing the problem.
Yes but its quite difficult to see whats different, i'll have another look tonight with my steel ruler
Old 25 July 2011, 07:49 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I attempted to have another look at this yesterday, but one of the nuts is playing hard to get!!!! Its decided to round off and stay put although it wasnt even out on tight!!!! grrrrrr.

Will investigate tonight!
Old 25 July 2011, 10:50 AM
Rice Rocket
Scooby Regular

Mine was the same, I just removed the foam pad underneath the round part of the light and I was happy with that, did you get the hawkeye bulb loom too? aas thats different to the bugeye loom.

Ricey
Old 25 July 2011, 11:33 AM
martin850
Scooby Regular

That's exactly how my blobeye lights sit Rob. Doubt you will get it any better but will keep an eye on this thread just incase.

Trending Topics

Old 25 July 2011, 11:42 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rice Rocket
Mine was the same, I just removed the foam pad underneath the round part of the light and I was happy with that, did you get the hawkeye bulb loom too? aas thats different to the bugeye loom.

Ricey
Hi Buddy,
I removed the foam pad, but the light fitting is not being restricted from a flusher fit by the bumper which is odd. Its as though if I was to put on a Hawk/Blob bumper I would still have the same problem with the unit not going back properly. Im not afraid to cut out the rounder area in the bumper, but its currently not causing an issue, something else is

Originally Posted by martin850
That's exactly how my blobeye lights sit Rob. Doubt you will get it any better but will keep an eye on this thread just incase.
Hey Pal, I'll get round it im sure. I was looking at the make up of the integral part, and thouhgts of a grinder flashed past through my head . Im sure I can get them to sit back further, if you look at the last two pics at the top of this thread, although its hard to see, there is a gap of around 5+mm behind the bottom of the light to the bumper, so this area isnt proventing the light going back .

I'll get a good look at it this evening, im sure it will go further back somehow. If you remove the Foam insulation the fitting does go back a further 3-5mm, but this isnt the solution.

Watch this space, i'll get my grinder out

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 25 July 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 01 August 2011, 09:31 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a look around this issue too and I get the impression that the blob/hawk bumper is a different design to cope with the additional depth of the lights. I may investigate further when I get the car back, but TBH it doesn't bother me.
Old 01 August 2011, 09:52 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
I've had a look around this issue too and I get the impression that the blob/hawk bumper is a different design to cope with the additional depth of the lights. I may investigate further when I get the car back, but TBH it doesn't bother me.
I havent had much time to look at it myself, but will get to the bottom of it. Rob
Old 07 August 2011, 03:12 PM
B4D HK
Scooby Senior

that is about as good as it will get mate, I fitted a pair of blob lights to a bug a few months back (without changing the rear bumper to a blob one) and they looked the same as yours do
Old 08 August 2011, 12:12 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im sure connor done this on his and his sit flush,

it does look very nice though,

would u not trim a bit of the plastic away at the bottom to help it to sit flush.
Old 08 August 2011, 12:49 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B4D HK
that is about as good as it will get mate, I fitted a pair of blob lights to a bug a few months back (without changing the rear bumper to a blob one) and they looked the same as yours do
I'll get there in the end bud. It looks ok and it grown on me, but as I know its just not quite right I will eventiually sort it out when I find some time.

Rob

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
im sure connor done this on his and his sit flush,

it does look very nice though,

would u not trim a bit of the plastic away at the bottom to help it to sit flush.
The plastic on the lights isnt preventing them going flush, its the way the bumper is moulded. Im going to Scoobyspares later this week, so I may see if they have a blob bonnet in 01G

I think Connor chnaged the bumper over, and if memory serves me well he eventually doing a bug > Blob/hawk conversion anyway, so if he hasnt changed the bumper it would be a little silly.