Notices

05 plate blobeye - HID kit fitting ??

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2011, 05:03 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 plate blobeye - HID kit fitting ??

Hi guys just got my 05 plate wrx blobeye and as with all my previous cars would love to fit HID lights to it, anyone got a recommendation to a particularly good ebay supplier off such ?? also bulb fitment type in this car ?? do both high / low beam work of the same bulb or would I require two seperate HID kits to enable both hi and low light to be in HID ??

lastly best guide on here for fitting the ballasts to this same car- does not look a great deal off space for them !!!
Old 28 June 2011, 05:47 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Scoobyworld mate, bought a kit off them a good while ago and love them. Easy fitment to, took me about half an hour.
Old 28 June 2011, 06:04 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

The ones we've supplied for years here on ScoobyNet are very popular.

Bulbs are replaced like for like, ie if you have one bulb that does one beam - it would be replaced like for like.

Our Blobeye kits are plug and play with slimline ballasts.
Old 28 June 2011, 07:24 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kedlestone
Scoobyworld mate, bought a kit off them a good while ago and love them. Easy fitment to, took me about half an hour.
Okay cheers mate had a quick look at the above website but cant see any HID lighting ??

Aztec performance - how much are your kits mate ?? yet to look but any idea if the 05 blobeye wrx uses the same bulb for hi/low ??

where are you guys placing the ballast off the HID as even for the slimline versions there does not look a great deal off space under there ??!!

Last edited by jono300; 28 June 2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 28 June 2011, 09:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just be careful about some retailers' claims of "plug and play".

I know for a certainty that some reatailers claim their H4 kits to be plug and play, but they are FAR from it.
Old 29 June 2011, 07:38 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks for your reply although slightly confused as from any HID kit I have fitted before and have now fitted three they can only be plug and play by the way they are designed ??
Old 29 June 2011, 09:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Try an H4 kit: the one my mate had, we had to pick the connectors out of the three pin plugs supplied, and change them round, since, as supplied, the kit wouldn't work AT ALL.

We eventually got it going by trial and error, but even that was frought with difficulty, as it is possible to get main beam and dip beam reversed

And this was a kit advertised on here as "plug and play".

And then when it was in, the focus was awful, with main beam WORSE than halogen.
Old 29 June 2011, 09:47 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it now not an offence to have an aftermarket HID kit on yout car, and will fail MOT?

Rob

EDIT - Just found this http://wrecks2riches.co.uk/2010/10/2011-changes-to-mot/

Last edited by Rob Day; 29 June 2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 29 June 2011, 10:06 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers for the info, just wonder when you say advertised on here as the one we are referring to in the group buy ??

if it is to be fair although universal fitting it is supplied on here as part off the subaru group buy for fitting to subarus and you cant complain if it required adapted to fit a ford focus ?? also surely the light output cant be blaimed on the HID kit itself possibly more the fact that the ford focus headlights are not the best for the fitting off aftermarket hid lights ??

as I say interested to find out more regards these lights on here that appear to be the same as some off the ones on ebay that have been in one off my cars for three years now with only a bulb requiring changing in that time.
Old 29 June 2011, 04:36 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300

Okay cheers for the info, just wonder when you say advertised on here as the one we are referring to in the group buy ??

if it is to be fair although universal fitting it is supplied on here as part off the subaru group buy for fitting to subarus and you cant complain if it required adapted to fit a ford focus ?? also surely the light output cant be blaimed on the HID kit itself possibly more the fact that the ford focus headlights are not the best for the fitting off aftermarket hid lights ??

as I say interested to find out more regards these lights on here that appear to be the same as some off the ones on ebay that have been in one off my cars for three years now with only a bulb requiring changing in that time.

I'm not naming the seller, the mods will just remove it anyway.

Suffice to say:
1. the kit was advertised as plug and play on here, for Subarus. It was fitted to a Subaru, and wasn't plug and play.

2. The light output is totally dependent on the lights, yes. This kit went into an Impreza, and they have crap lights anyway, (classic), so the poor main beam focus often found in H4 kits is just exacerbated by the poor lights.

I'd suggest you do a search on here about H4 HID kits, there was a VERY long-running thread in which I spent a good deal of time explaining WHY H4 kits are an abomination, and why even the best kits can't possibly perform like a properly designed projector....which is what I now run on my classic.
Old 29 June 2011, 09:34 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I'm not naming the seller, the mods will just remove it anyway.

Suffice to say:
1. the kit was advertised as plug and play on here, for Subarus. It was fitted to a Subaru, and wasn't plug and play.

2. The light output is totally dependent on the lights, yes. This kit went into an Impreza, and they have crap lights anyway, (classic), so the poor main beam focus often found in H4 kits is just exacerbated by the poor lights.

I'd suggest you do a search on here about H4 HID kits, there was a VERY long-running thread in which I spent a good deal of time explaining WHY H4 kits are an abomination, and why even the best kits can't possibly perform like a properly designed projector....which is what I now run on my classic.

I have to agree with Jeff on his above points. I've seen the so called 'plug and play' H4 kit in action and it was poor at best. However after Jeff retrofitted projectors to his classic, his lights both look and perform fantastically.

Be very wary about what you buy which isn't naturally intended for your Scoob Jono. The fuzz would have a field day if you were stopped with scattered HID lights

Good luck
Old 29 June 2011, 11:12 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay appreciatte what you are saying, has anyone here had satisfactory / acceptable results in fitting an H4 HID kit to a blobeye ?? belive the group buy was very well supported so guess there must be a good few folk using them ??

did you guys use a canbus kit or does the blobeye cope with just the standard digital ballasts ??
Old 01 July 2011, 09:38 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

H4 not suitable for blob, think dip is h7, I had a kit on my old wrx never had any issues with them and the slimline ballasts fit under the headlights which I found best place, they will fail mot next year so you will have to remove for mot, I have Been told even my jdm with factory hid lights will also fail next year. Some of the better kits for h7 come with a bulb with a shield on it similar to my factory d2r bulbs. Think they call them h7r. They are easy to fit and work very well just don't go above 6000k as they will be too blue and not give off as much light as the 4300k or 6000k kits

Last edited by daz1968; 01 July 2011 at 09:39 PM.