Notices

Turnover but not starting problem .......

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2010, 08:57 PM
ClubAddict
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turnover but not starting problem .......

Hi all,

This is my first thread here but I wanted to share a solution to a problem I've just encountered as I didn't see it anywhere online when I was trying to find an answer myself.

I own a W 2000 Impreza Turbo. Car is well maintained/serviced etc, approx 86k miles.

The last 2 weeks I've had some starting problems but they have been intermittent until today when the car just wouldn't start at all. It would turn over with no apparent lack of power in the battery, however, just wouldn't kick into life. We also tried jump leads to be safe but no dice. I checked the forums which talked about the ECU, spark plugs, fuel delivery etc. but none of these were the issue. Initially I had thought it to be the cold weather & had checked fluids, anti freeze etc but still nothing.

When I finally got it recovered to a mechanic today he has figured out that because I keep all my house & car keys together, they have gradually pulled the key/barrel out of alignment so that they don't always align with each other & so effectively the chip in the key doesn't disengage the immobiliser. He took my house keys off to remove the weight & low & behold it started first time.

He's advised that although minor, the damage is now done so I will have intermittent problems until I get the barrel & key replaced but I have a work around until I can get that done.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share it as it seemed really obscure to me. Apologies if the any of you already knew this.

Thanks.
Andy.
Old 03 December 2010, 09:42 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not sure about that as a soloution, tbh, I'd need to be convinced.

Your reason above would assume that the key was put in the same way round each time, if that amount of misalignment was critical, since the chip is to ONE SIDE of the key head.