Notices

Shorted 12v constant from radio loom whilst hooking up boost gauge...

Search this Thread

Old 03 July 2010, 06:58 PM
scoobyrichuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shorted 12v constant from radio loom whilst hooking up boost gauge...

I've been installing a prosport boost gauge into my 1999 Impreza Turbo 2000 and whilst I was checking for the constant 12v with my multimeter I managed to short the 12v constant wire at the connector where it connects to the alpine headunit loom. My stereo won't turn on and the 12v constant is dead. I'm not particuarly adept with electronics so I'm wondering if anyone can offer any tips; am I likely to have killed the headunit or should it just need the fuse replacing? If it's the fuse which fuse do I need to replace?

Cheers
Old 03 July 2010, 07:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

it'll be the fuse, almost certainly. the headunit SHOULD be OK.

There MAY be one inline, check that there isn't, if there is, check and replace.
Otherwise it's PROBABLY fuse No9, second from the left, middle row, fusebox under the cointray, driver's side under dash. Cointray drops down, then pulls out completely.

Do you not have a handbook?
Old 04 July 2010, 03:02 AM
scoobyrichuk
Scooby Regular

I've sorted it now, it was the fuse and thankfully the headunit is fine! I don't have a handbook unfortunately, I really should buy one! The boost gauge works fine now but for some reason my headlights no longer work on low beam. They work on high beam (dipped and full) so I am confused, is there a separate fuse for low beam? They worked fine before I installed the gauge...
Old 04 July 2010, 11:58 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Not on mine, no, the lights are fused left side, right side and the fuses are under the bonnet in the main fuse box, right hand side top and second fuses.
Old 04 July 2010, 12:12 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyrichuk
I've sorted it now, it was the fuse and thankfully the headunit is fine! I don't have a handbook unfortunately, I really should buy one! The boost gauge works fine now but for some reason my headlights no longer work on low beam. They work on high beam (dipped and full) so I am confused, is there a separate fuse for low beam? They worked fine before I installed the gauge...
Hang on a minute, I've just re-read the above and it makes little sense.

What EXACTLY do you mean when you say they don't work on low beam, but then go on to say the DO work on both dipped and full?
Old 04 July 2010, 02:10 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyrichuk
Hope you're not cut'n'shutting the loom mate. I thought the worst when I pulled a mess out of my P1 (previous owner fitted older Sony Radio Cassette/changer) but the original car loom connectors were still there, all I needed was an adapter loom, autoleads etc...

I don't understand the headlight thing either. Classics have separate sidelights, then you're either dipped or full beam on headlights. Only time both dipped and full beam coils in the bulbs are on is when you pull the stalk back to flash the lights.

Unless you're talking about the interior instrument lights or dash lights. In which case you've blown another fuse...

J.
Old 04 July 2010, 03:00 PM
scoobyrichuk
Scooby Regular

Sorry guys I should have been clearer in my original post, by low beam I mean when the headlights are switched to the first (dimmed position) they no longer work but in the second position they work fine (dipped and full beam.) The only wires I've cut are the necessary wires to power the prosport gauge (ign 12v, constant 12v and the illumination wire), all taken from the radio loom. I grounded the gauge in the small metal bracket that holds the bonnet release catch (as this is easy to reach from the a pillar pod the gauge is installed in.)

Trending Topics

Old 04 July 2010, 07:41 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

The lights you SEEM to be on about are sidelights, AFICS, switch them on and check rears: they are both on the same fuse. If you blew THAT fuse too, it's fuse No5, top row, second from right, interior fusebox under cointray again.

NOW you know why in all electrical instructions, the first one is always, "Disconnect battery -ve". LOL
Old 05 July 2010, 01:24 PM
scoobyrichuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
NOW you know why in all electrical instructions, the first one is always, "Disconnect battery -ve". LOL
Too right, I won't be ignoring that advice in the future!!