Notices

HID Question Bulb type morette's on Bug

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2010, 11:32 AM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID Question Bulb type morette's on Bug

Hi guy's I have a 2002 Bugeye WRX with the Morette's my questions is what is the bulb type is it H4 or H7? I cant check them as the car is off the road and would like to order some HID's for when she is back in action I seem to think they are H4's but cant remember here is a pic of her also what are the side light blubs? thank you Stu

Name:  IMG_04381.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  147.1 KB
Old 14 May 2010, 01:18 PM
budd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pull a bulb and have a look.
Old 14 May 2010, 03:34 PM
Stuswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budd
pull a bulb and have a look.
If I had the car mate I would
Old 14 May 2010, 04:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Dunx will be along soon, he has this setup and will be able to advise.
Old 10 February 2011, 01:38 PM
impreza2.01
Scooby Newbie

A few things. There's a definitive best possible HID for the Morette lamp for my01-03. It's a Philips digital slimline ballast w/ bracket and wiring kit (8awg!) and Osram Rallye HID 40w 8000 Kelvin or the same model w/ 6000 Kelvin bulbs...
They fit right, they have the correct lengths of wire, and the install looks professional enough to pass for OEM.

Next, that duct you have has turbulence like mad, and is barely helping you. There cannot be a lip on the velocity stack. You might consider OBX or ChargeSpeed. The OBX velocity stack is spun aluminum, and about $40, and will create a surface vaccuum sufficient to supply you up to around 400hp. The ChargeSpeed ducts, if piped and used together, can supply you enough CFM for up to 600hp. The issue is use of port opening which was designed to breathe reciprocally, thus the lip/bezel. The velocity stack opening is a rounded flush opening. It's awesome that you did that, and few of us are even aware it is possible... and please don't take this as a criticism, I am just familiar with our intake through week long arguments and experiments on ClubWRX.

This being my first post, here's my Bug:
Name:  DSC00049.jpg
Size:  304.6 KB
Name:  IMAG0007.jpg
Size:  76.2 KB

Don't use HID in your high beam capsules, or you will get a serious talking to from a police officer. Trust me on this. Same rule applies to driving lamps, unless they are projector type lamps. (My velocity stack is behind the right side fog lamp... it feeds a port end which is piped between the cold-air box and bumper). Our cars run hot at cyl-3, so this was my solution for keeping IAT cold.

Sorry for the thread-jack... I went through heck finding decent lighting for this car, Morette is superior if you build them properly. They are at least equal to if not better than STi lamps. The tails on the other hand... not a fan. Looks like a Supra's little disabled cousin at shows.

If you go with regular bulbs, Osram Rallye +60 will last longer than OEM bulbs, and are 50% brighter (they don't have the cool blue or purple of the HIDs, but they are nearly as bright). This is according to Daniel Stern, the guru of automotive lighting systems.

Y'all do know this stuff's for racing, right? Our local police don't care for any of it. Luckily, once you pass the point where no kid under 25 years old is going to be able to get near all the work you've done, you CAN get away with some little frivolity like an HID kit. They are obnoxious, but damn, they look cool.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:19 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Interesting post, if a little filled with inaccuracies.
Old 10 February 2011, 02:23 PM
impreza2.01
Scooby Newbie

I am human... but not over-excited, or likely to go mad if I am corrected... so please inform!
Old 10 February 2011, 04:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I was interested in your stipulation that 8000K or 6000K HID's are "the best". Why?
Especially when it's accepted that daylight is 4300K to 5000K.
I assume you are aware of the "inverse" rule: the hotter the bulb temperature, the LESS LIGHT it puts out? So the BRIGHTEST HID would be 4300K, then 5000K etc etc.

Secondly, HID in high beams is LESS likley to get you into trouble than in dips........unless you don't use the same terms as we do:
High beam= out of town, no-one around.
Dip beam= in town, oncoming traffic etc.

Thirdly, HIDs in DRIVING lights aren't subject to any laws YET in the UK at least, since they are wired to go OFF when dips are selected. They MAY be subject to new laws in 2012 which will require the bulbs and reflectors/lenses to be compatible, but not yet.

Fourthly, it is also accepted that so-called "uprated" bulbs, (60%, 90% etc), will actually last LESS time than OE bulbs, since they way they work requires a THINNER filament which burns HOTTER, making it LESS likley to last.
Certainly, in my experience, I'm changing "uprated" bulbs more regularly than OE ones.
Old 11 February 2011, 09:27 AM
impreza2.01
Scooby Newbie

HID is basically a show only item here in the USA, and if you want them to last, staying closer to the lower end of the spectrum is a good idea. The "darker" more purple-ish bulbs just don't last as long. I was indicating that if you want them, you might want the looks and not the performance. HID really is garbage in halogen/incandescent lens assemblies... I just figured since it can be MADE to work, it ought to at least look good doing it.
Old 11 February 2011, 02:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Got you.

We agree, it seems
Old 11 February 2011, 02:47 PM
impreza2.01
Scooby Newbie

Name:  philips8KKcutoff.jpg
Size:  4.6 KB

This is the only H7 bulb setup I know of that actually has a short enough filament, and one precisely placed enough to create cutoff like this.

It's totally identical to the Morette/Osram BrightStar Headlight bulb, so
I'm not sure that it isn't just repackaged for Morette... I'll admit that it is annoying if you are 3' tall or driving a Murcielago. Otherwise the cutoff is fantastic.

At any rate, I totally do agree with everything you just said... HID is irritating as H#^^ unless the reflector assembly is designed for it. It isn't any easier to look at with a VL Kelvin rating, the alien ones are at least interesting when the car is parked.

If you've seen my car, you probably understand that it just gets a nod... there's how rarely they get used, and the fact that I am nearly 40 years old and haven't ever had a driving infraction...

Last edited by impreza2.01; 11 February 2011 at 02:54 PM.