Notices

hlep - heating problem?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2010, 11:17 AM
deshooll
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question hlep - heating problem?

Hi bought my first subaru on friday and heater blower dont work - previous owner said that this could be a broken fuse .My one is a 98' Subaru impreza 1.6 LX Wagon 2wd. With present weather conditions i cant realy drive as whole car steams up very fast, is a heating a common problem on impreza. is there any one in Corby area, Northamptonshire that i can go to and have a look at this issue for me.

spend some time investigating this problem today and unfortunatly after taking apart most of my dashboard i was still unable to get my air going throuhg the vents.

facts so far
- checked all fuses under the bonnet and under steering weel and all are good and none of them are missing.
- checked every cable, conector conectet to fan blower and to the centre console with voltage meter and all seems to be ok.
- removed fan blower itself and conected straight to baterry and it works fine.

only one part that i found and i am not sure about is the resistor which is locaded closely in next box to fan blower is definytly conected to whole heating system as wires from control section goes to it - is a smal Plastic aluminium thing anyawy -- is there on this forum anyone who could kindly advice is this could cuse my heating and cooling to dont work?

ill be greatefull for any help.
Old 22 February 2010, 11:44 AM
trogg
Scooby Regular

Not sure on the specifics of the subaru fan blower, but on other cars the problem is often the resistor pack.
Does the fan work on any speed, quite often if it is the resistor it will just run on high speed (the resistors are used to lower the speed of the fan)
Old 22 February 2010, 12:31 PM
deshooll
Scooby Newbie

hi, thanks very much for your reply. fan dont work on any speed unfortunatly,.. but when i connected the fan blower straight to batery it runs on high speed no problem ... could faulty resistor cused that fan blower dont work at all?
Old 22 February 2010, 02:01 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yes it could. I suggest trying a new resisitor pack, dealer will be exhorbitant, try breakers.

I'm also a little worried at your comment about it steaming up: have you got it set to recirculate the air, or let fresh air in? It needs to be the latter to avoid condensation. While you've got it in bits, check the heater matrix too.
Old 22 February 2010, 02:18 PM
deshooll
Scooby Newbie

thank for your comment ... is set to let fresh air in. could you advice where i could find heater matrix as i am new to subaru and my one did not had owners manual inside ? also do you possibly know any trusted brakers? thanks
Old 22 February 2010, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Heater matrix: thread here to show you how: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...er-matrix.html

Breakers: I use Grade A at Hayfield in the High Peak. Others can be found on Google, not better, some maybe cheaper.
Old 24 February 2010, 12:44 PM
deshooll
Scooby Newbie

thanks for advice... ill try to buy replacement resistor pack which wont be easy as already trying for 2 days ....