LHD vs RHD - Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 09:56 AM
O1e
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LHD vs RHD - Projectors

Hi!

I am wondering about building my headlight over to projectors(retrofit). Have read a bit on the forum about it, and seen some howto's.

Some projectors you have to modify the whole headlight and other you need just minor changes.

I have seen on a kit like this:

Ebay Link

Same as "stipower00"'s BLOBEYE retrofit:

It seems like LHD, but I am not sure. Is there any different in the projector, or is there the headlight that make the differense between LHD and RHD, also with projector retrofit?

Thanks
Old 08 January 2010, 12:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

What projector you get will define whether it's RHD or LHD.
Basically, all modern cars use a form of assymetric dip, (assymetric: not the same at both sides).

RHD cars should have a dip cutoff, when lights are shone on a wall, like this:

\____ \____

so that the dip "finger of light" as shown by the raised part of the pattern, shines along the LEFT hand side of the road, illumionating the edge of the road, cyclists, pedestrians, signs etc.

LHD cars will have this pattern:

____/ ____/

where their extra light is down the RIGHT side of the road.

Be careful with cheap projectors. Those on e-bay are often Chinese in origin.........

Try the retrofit source in the USA
Old 08 January 2010, 12:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Forgot to say that if you fit projectors into a classic Scoob lights, you will need the crystal lights as fitted to 99-00 cars. The others will NOT work properly
Old 08 January 2010, 01:55 PM
O1e
Scooby Regular

I know I need the crystall ones. I have to set of them, so I will try on the set that not is on the car today. IF the projectors that i linked to earlier in the post, was in OK quality, then it would have been very easy and fast to mount them. Much cutting and mods to the headlight is needed with many other solutions, like them shown on the forum.

Thanks for your answer
Old 08 January 2010, 05:42 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Given that it's ebay USA they are likely to be LH drive items, ideal for you over in Norway, IMHO.

dunx
Old 08 January 2010, 06:20 PM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

You can change the beam pattern on projectors if you take them apart and modify the deflector plates.
I did my STI bue ones for LHD here is a guide for it but same principle with most projectors. http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3988

Last edited by rbaz; 08 January 2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 08:40 PM
O1e
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Given that it's ebay USA they are likely to be LH drive items, ideal for you over in Norway, IMHO.

dunx
All of the sellers of the kit I linked before in this post, are from China. There it is RHD and not one seller did know if it was for RHD or LHD

Originally Posted by rbaz
You can change the beam pattern on projectors if you take them apart and modify the deflector plates.
I did my STI bue ones for LHD here is a guide for it but same principle with most projectors. http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3988
Thanks for the link! When I actually take the job by retrofit projectors in my headlamps I want it to be 100% and it won't be it with that mod of the projector. It will be better but not best.

Last edited by O1e; 08 January 2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09 January 2010, 05:19 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by O1e
All of the sellers of the kit I linked before in this post, are from China. There it is RHD and not one seller did know if it was for RHD or LHD

Thanks for the link! When I actually take the job by retrofit projectors in my headlamps I want it to be 100% and it won't be it with that mod of the projector. It will be better but not best.
Have you considered fitting morettes and then upgrading the bulbs to HID??? would seem an easier way to go and less hassle.
Old 09 January 2010, 01:26 PM
O1e
Scooby Regular

I already have HID in my crystall clears, and it work really fine. It would been better with projectors, but the main reason why I want to build projectors in my crystall clears is that not to many have it, they look much better than morettes and morettes is'nt projectors, and will blend other drivers as much as the crystallclears do.
Old 13 January 2010, 07:04 PM
Stevo210
Scooby Regular

Fitted, never looked back!!

The Retrofit Source (U.S.) - HID Projector Retrofit Kits, Retrofit and HID Componenents, Projectors Lens, Wiring Harnesses, Shrouds and more!

also RHD