Notices

Front Fog lights to driving light

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2002, 01:03 PM
hunswon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this must haev been talked about so many time, I am looking for the brightest convertion I can get for my Scooby.. Any Ideas please. As at the moment they are not upto the job...

Nate
Old 10 March 2002, 11:19 PM
Mike Owen
Scooby Regular

Cheapest (not what you asked) but... stick 100w bulbs in the existing fog lights. Adjust them up a fair bit (cover headlights and find a dark bit of road to adjust) and buy a 30amp relay and wire them in using some decent cable (wiring diagram available in another post somewhere). I know the focus is not really right for driving lights but they aint actually too bad (glass front and metal'd reflector... so should not be any heat problems).

I've done this because car going at the end of the year and one of my Cibie driving lights was cracked by a stone and I could not justify buying a replacement.

This though to my mind has dispelled one of the "myths" about Cibie Oscar driving lights and the high watt bulbs blowing in them (what they've always done for me!! in three different cars). Main blame has always been laid at "voltage spikes" blowing the bulbs. Well I can't see that has been my problem. As my "fog light" conversion is still going strong after one month (and I do BIG miles over Scottish back roads). Have come to the conclussion that it's the tiny H2 bulbs in the Cibies that are too blame (see a previous post about these).

So... to your question. If I had my time again, I'd go for the PIA's this time. Though there are loads of people that have had no problems with the Cibie Oscars. Also think the PIA's look better.
Old 12 March 2002, 11:38 AM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have fitted Cibie Oscars and have had no problems over boreens in the Emerald Isle.

Mike you can get ordinary Cibie Oscar +'s for about £40 each. If you like I can measure mine if you want to see if the lens is the same size.

Pat
Old 12 March 2002, 12:03 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Cool

Brightest you can go for are probably the HID gas discharge jobs.

I've got Hella Comet Xenon 200s on mine, but they require some hacking of the hole behind the fog light.

My mate has the Hella 1000FF ones and they are BRIGHT. We're talking rally spec here..... I think Scoobysport sell them for around 620 quid.

There are light tunnel shots on Hella's homepage but I can't seem to get on at the mo to give you a URL.

If you are at the meet being arranged by Gridlock Mikey in Gunthorpe, I can show you mine Not sure but I think Pete Croney may have the 1000s on his WRX, and he will be there as well

Old 12 March 2002, 12:28 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Wink

Have a look at the tunnel here http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...ivingLapms.jsp

Mine are the 200s, Scoobysport do the 1000s. Compare them to the fog lights and you will see a bit of a difference.