Notices

Please help, I've broken my boyfriends car!

Search this Thread

Old 26 June 2009, 10:38 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, I've broken my boyfriends car!

Hello, I have done something really stupid and I offered to change the dash bulbs for my boyfriend and yet again its gone totally wrong. I pulled the clocks out exactly like I did my own, replaced the bulbs and put it all back together. First of all the rev counter, water temp and the 4/5 lights at the bottom of the right hand corner (engine check, oil etc) didn't work. Also the back heater window comes on automatically when you started the car which knocked the revs down, but once switched off the car run fine.
So today I pulled the clocks out again to check the connections on the back of the clocks and they were fine. I put it all back together and he drove it around the block, switched it off and when he went to start her straight away and she wouldn't start. The CD player stayed on but the car was dead.
We have checked all the fuses, well the ones on the right of the engine and the ones under the steering wheel. Dont know if there are any more!
When you turn the key, it sets off the gauges and they beep in warning same when you put the lights on, if you put the heaters on and then turn the lights on it stops the heaters. Everything is setting everthing else off, Calvin pulled the battery off 5 mins to see if that would help at all and now when you pull the keys out the hazards flash.

She is a 1997 impreza with an alarm and immobiliser.

I feel so so so bad, Please can someone help me because I dont know what to do and I'm sure he is bouncing but being polite and not showing it. I would kill me if I was him

Please someone give me an idea where I can start.
Old 26 June 2009, 11:53 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

Right i've put my battery on his car and she started first turn of the key, Thank God. But the dash lights, heater lights, rev counter, water temp and the 4/5 lights at the bottom of the right hand corner (engine check, oil etc) seat belt & handbrake lights still arent working.
I've put all the old bulbs back in just incase they were causing the problem.

Any Ideas?
Old 28 June 2009, 09:30 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

You haven't told us what the bulbs were replaced BY? More bulbs? Or LEDS? LEDs can cause strange effects.

Can you have swapped any connectors, got one upside down, missed one, got one disconnected further down?

If it's not any of those, it HAS to be something simple, so start by checking that the earth isn't disturbed, and then have a look at the pcb on the rear of the instrument cluster check for cracks, distortion etc.

You MAY need a wiring diagram to help, but someone on here usually can provide, sorry, I can't.
Old 28 June 2009, 01:10 PM
blueg14rep
Scooby Regular

All sorted One of the gold circuit strips on the back of the instruments had boken so with a little bit of soldering its back in A1 condition much to mine and Calvin's relief.

Never again will I offer to work on someone else car, The stress and upset was to much. Dont mind braking my own car
Old 28 June 2009, 06:14 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles

If it's not any of those, it HAS to be something simple, so start by checking that the earth isn't disturbed, and then have a look at the pcb on the rear of the instrument cluster check for cracks, distortion etc.