Notices

Ignition Live wire while cranking

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2009, 09:32 PM
Ash911gtr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Live wire while cranking

Hi, does anybody know where i can locate one of these wires? Car is a 99 Type r V5 Ltd. Thanks
Old 18 June 2009, 01:11 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Let me get this straight.........you want to identify a wire which is live while the starter is cranking the engine, right?

Get hold of a simple probe-type circuit tester, remove the steering wheel shroud, and probe the wires from the ignition switch until you find one.
It's likely NOT to be thin

BTW: my circuit tester came from a car shop, cost about £3 and has a sharp probe for piercing insulation on one end, a brass body with a bulb and a lead terminating in a crocodile clip on the other end. Attach clip to suitable earth, then probe wires: if the bulb lights, you found a live
Old 18 June 2009, 05:29 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ash911gtr
Hi, does anybody know where i can locate one of these wires? Car is a 99 Type r V5 Ltd. Thanks
Do you want a wire that is live at all times once the ignition is switched on, or a wire that is live only when cranking? What's this for, an alarm immobiliser circuit or something? If so, and you want a crank-only live wire, your best bet is the starter motor switch wire itself that comes off the steering lock and runs down into the underdash loom. If I remember correct it's a black wire with a yellow stripe, but don't quote me on that, double check with a circuit tester as suggested above before you go cutting into it.
Old 20 June 2009, 02:11 AM
Ash911gtr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Do you want a wire that is live at all times once the ignition is switched on, or a wire that is live only when cranking? What's this for, an alarm immobiliser circuit or something? If so, and you want a crank-only live wire, your best bet is the starter motor switch wire itself that comes off the steering lock and runs down into the underdash loom. If I remember correct it's a black wire with a yellow stripe, but don't quote me on that, double check with a circuit tester as suggested above before you go cutting into it.
hi, thanks, its for defi gauges so need a wire live at ignition and while cranking
Old 20 June 2009, 02:12 AM
Ash911gtr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Let me get this straight.........you want to identify a wire which is live while the starter is cranking the engine, right?

Get hold of a simple probe-type circuit tester, remove the steering wheel shroud, and probe the wires from the ignition switch until you find one.
It's likely NOT to be thin

BTW: my circuit tester came from a car shop, cost about £3 and has a sharp probe for piercing insulation on one end, a brass body with a bulb and a lead terminating in a crocodile clip on the other end. Attach clip to suitable earth, then probe wires: if the bulb lights, you found a live
Yea thanks, will probably have to do that.
Old 20 June 2009, 11:24 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

For defis, you need TWO lives: one is permanently live, like the live going to your hazards, (and is coloured red at the defis), and one is switched live, like the one going to the stereo, (and is coloured orange at the defis).

Where have you got the idea you need one "live while cranking"?
Old 26 June 2009, 06:24 PM
shepster
Scooby Regular

Hi, just done this when fitting my Stack gauges. I used one from the ignition barrel, found it with a probe and in easy to splice into.

Hope this helps