Notices

Advice on retro fitting single coil setup

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2009, 10:02 PM
pitchblack
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on retro fitting single coil setup

I'm after some advice please, on retro fitting MY97 single coil/leads, to MY93 coil packs.

By any chance is there a how too's on this, as I have searched the site but can't seem to find what I'm after.

I have all the stuff it's just which wire go's where.

Thank you
Chris
Old 01 February 2009, 01:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't think there is a how-too on here.

However: There will be wiring schematics and pin-outs in the workshop manuals: https://www.scoobynet.com/technical-...w-updated.html

I've not done this myself, but I have pasted relevant sections of the schematics from the shop manuals of the pin-outs (click to enlarge).

MY93:

MY97:

Pinouts of the labeled connectors are shown at the bottom of each diagram (can't remember if its looking at the front of the connector, or looking at it from the rear - always test first to make sure!!! )

The wiring will depend on if you are using the old ignitor module (located on inner-wheelarch on the left side of the engine bay, next to wastegate purge solenoid).

Note that "E" on the MY93 diagram is fused 12v feed via the ignition switch.

Because its a wasted spark system (two spark plugs fire simultaneously per engine revolution), so coils are paired. If my memory serves me well cylinders 1 and 2 are paired together and cylinders 3 and 4 are paired (this is unconventional to inline 4 cylinder engines where pairing is 1to4 and 2to3), so the two front cylinders fire together and the two rear cylinder fire together.

What I can't tell you is which pin on the MY97 coil pack triggers the spark on which cylinder pair (centre pin should be +12v), however if you get them wrong it will be pretty obvious as the car will spark on cranking (and possibly backfire), but won't start - swapping the plug leads front to rear on both sides will quickly and easily fix it.

Also note that later model year coil packs (MY99 onwards? ) have built in ignitors, so again, wiring will be different (just incase someone reads this and tries to retro fit newage coil packs ).

Hope that helps

Last edited by ALi-B; 01 February 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02 February 2009, 11:37 AM
pitchblack
Scooby Regular

Thank you for the reply.

I have downloaded the manuals and had been checking through them, but life is abit easier if some one has done it and can tell you how to lol

Was given this link by Jonny-Gav over on TTS
wasted spark

would like to get as much info as poss, before I start, won't be today with this snow lol
Old 02 February 2009, 07:33 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ALi-B
Also note that later model year coil packs (MY99 onwards? ) have built in ignitors, so again, wiring will be different (just incase someone reads this and tries to retro fit newage coil packs ).
There's a good how-to thread on NASIOC if you're referring to coil on plug.
Old 02 February 2009, 10:04 PM
pitchblack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
There's a good how-to thread on NASIOC if you're referring to coil on plug.
I'm wanting to switch from coil pack, to wasted spark ie MY93 to MY97.

I'd come across a couple of sites, one showing how to change to newage coil packs, but as I already have the MY97, and have seen it done on one car, was after the info needed.

I have found the jolly green monsters thread on 22b, and JGM has pm'd me the link also, Cheers Simon
Old 05 February 2009, 07:02 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Share it then.
Old 26 July 2012, 01:28 PM
easy-does-it
Scooby Newbie

Sorry about dragging up an old thread but i cant find anything else that clearly shows you how to do this..
I won an already converted coil pack on ebay but after fitting it i don't think it's been wired right as it's only chuffing and won't fire,can anyone shed some light?

According to the haynes the firing sequence is 1-3-2-4 only this has been wired up:
From the coil pack

Blue- yellow rear left and yellow rear right

Red- red/yellow on all four

yellow- yellow front left and yellow front right

Would i be right in thinking yellow on the coil should be with red/ yellow on the pig tails, Blue to yellow left front and back and red to right yellow front and back or am i way off?

Any help would be much appreciated ... just want to be back on the road