Notices

Dim switch to control headunit brightness?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2008, 07:33 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim switch to control headunit brightness?

Hi all,

I've had a look through old posts but can't find this particular issue.

I always drive with my headlights on, to increase visibility of my imminent arrival to other road users (to hopefully stop them pulling out of side turns in front of me etc).

Only problem is, my headunit thinks it must be night-time so goes dim and I can't read the display in bright/low sun weather, and have to manually switch it using an option buried deep in its menu, which is a PITA. If I leave it on bright so I can see it during the day I can't see anything else at night!

I'd like to use the dim/bright switch on the left stalk to tell the dash lights and headunit when it's day/night.

Has anyone done this?

TIA
Steve
Old 18 November 2008, 02:49 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In the back of the headunit wiring, or on the ISO plug. Its either the Yellow or Orange wire. Thats the feed to tell the HU your lights are on. Remove that and your sorted. It might already even be on a pull out bullet connector. As some cars have them the other way round.

EDIT: Didn't read properly. You can use the method I mentioned to avoid using a separate switch.
Old 18 November 2008, 04:18 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Thanks, but that wouldn't synchronise the headunit light with the dash lights or allow me to tell the displays when it was night or day.

The headunit's feed comes from the light stalk, so when the lights are on, the headunit dims. I was thinking more along the lines interrupting the unit's feed and using a NC/NO relay board with a signal feed from the 'bright' switch to control the power to the headunit.

Doesn't look like anyone's done this, and there must be more people with a unit similar to the DNX7200 installed, so I'll work it out and post a "how-to"
Old 18 November 2008, 04:30 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh I see. It wouldn't you are right. The wires I mentioned, allthough not directly fed from the headlight stalk, is the illumination for your dashboard and switches. If your HU is not getting that feed, it will assume the lights are not on, and its daytime.
But then your problem will be night, when its too bright.
So then put a switch, to the bright switch if you like, from the illumination wires. So you can then turn it on and off, night and day.
Old 22 November 2008, 01:32 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Weekend bump. Anyone else had this problem and solved it?