Beam deflectors on '08 STi?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2008, 09:26 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beam deflectors on '08 STi?

Hi,

I'm of to France in a week or so and have come up against a little issue with the standard HID lights

I've looked for some beam deflectors for an 08 STi and nothing seems to fit the outer curve of the unit.

One person at the local dealer said not to bother fitting anything as it was the French! Another person there said that there'd been an issue with the polycarbonate of the lens melting slightly (albeit on a Legacy but also with HID.) Customer Services at Subaru UK said that there wasn't an official solution yet but put black tape on. There aren't any headlamp protectors available yet that could be taped up to save the standard unit fronts. I thought I'd read somewhere that black tape was frowned upon now...

Has anyone been through this already and what did you do / how did you get on?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 08 October 2008, 08:08 PM
Pete N
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get the beam adapters Halfords sell there are generic patterns so you should be able to figure something out even if there isn't an exact match. HIDs for 06 STI are there (ok not quite what you want but may be close enough). Having said that the sticky things didn't stand up to torrential rain on one side so the gaffer tape came out (yes it was black!) and I cut to suit.
Old 13 October 2008, 10:03 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Thanks Pete - I got some of the Halfords (navigator wings) ones and they seem to do the job light-wise. Dunno about how well they'll stay on as I've to fit them in France - I'm driving down overnight in the UK so want my lights OK for here.

Look like I'll be having some insulation tape with me just in case anyway.

Andy
Old 13 October 2008, 03:08 PM
Postman Pat
Scooby Regular

I'm surprised Subaru have a half-a**ed arrangement like that. My Beemer has a switch on top of the HID unit to change the throw of the beam from left to right hand drive.

Pat
Old 15 October 2008, 06:59 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Pat,

They said it was becoming mandatory to do that for EC Regulations in 2010 so Japan was working on a solution...

It's just unfortunate that they haven't implemented it on 2008 models

Andy
Old 06 November 2008, 12:09 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Been to France and got back OK without issue - Halfords beam adjustors worked fine with none of the lens melting problems etc surfacing. Still plenty of light to see with at night with cutoffs blocked. No flashing from drivers other way unlike the other people we went with who'd bought official LHD lamps but hadn't got them anywhere near aligned properly...

Cheers,

Andy