Notices

prodrive uk300 headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2008, 07:01 PM
fastfu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prodrive uk300 headlight problem

ive fitted uk300 headlights to my bugeye and ive come up against a problem with adjustment. once the the headlight is fitted it is impossile to get to one of the adjusters making it impossible to align them and from what i can see alignment can only be done by removing the headlight

ive been to a few mot stations in my area and none of them want anything to do with them as they need removing and one even said if thats the case they cant be road legal

anyone else had problems ?
Old 06 October 2008, 06:09 PM
silver-destroyer
Scooby Regular

hello mate...

yep i had same problem,i managed to get a second hand set and had them colour coded to match the car...fitted them and the beam was slightly out...so shot up me mates garage and removed them,he adjusted them outside the car 5 min job refitted them and put them on the beam alignment machine....spot on...i have now fitted hid kits to both the main and dipped beams..my lights still have the orignal prodrive labels on them and there all stamped up with the markings to prove they are legal to use....i really cant see prodrive or subaru putting their name too or selling illegal road use lights.....reckon your mot stations are taking the p*** and talking c***
Old 07 October 2008, 11:16 AM
fastfu
Scooby Regular

thanks mate, it looks like i will continue my search for a " friendly" MOT tester
Old 07 October 2008, 12:33 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

IIRC the UK300 / Prodrive lights may be adjusted on the car but it's a swine of a job I had mine done at TSL the first time but it wasn't very successful and I eventually did them using a wooden board propped up in the garage and chalking lines on it.

I fitted HIDs to mine from one of the original group buys but took them off soon after as while as I couldn't get the pattern / output right. Prodrive released a set in the accessories catalogue but quickly dropped them as they couldn't get a satisfactory solution. AFAIR it was something to do with the position of the light source relative to the reflectors.

Silver-destroyer: As for legal - the lights were approved for normal halogen bulbs, not HIDs (which for aftermarket fits are technically "off-road" use only.) If they were for OE fit then the car would have to have auto-levelling and washer systems on. Just because you put two 'approved' systems together, doesn't mean they are official as a combination. Granted, many coppers wouldn't be able to tell the difference as there's plenty of cars with HID on now but back in the days of the bugeye, they were more of a rarity and stood out. If you want some proper HID lights for the bugeye, get hold of a set of the JDM STi lights with OE HID bulbs in - these are brilliant and the correct pattern to match.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:24 PM
silver-destroyer
Scooby Regular

hi apple...

i did'nt state that my headlights with hid's fitted were road legal....hid as you say with many aftermarket suppliers are for off road use only.(its up to the user if they wish to take the risk of getting pulled by plod)...i only said that the headlight units were road legal.(all labels and e safety numbers on them)..as the mot test stations were saying if they needed removing to be adjusted they cant be road legal...