Notices

OBD II plug on my 95 wrx

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2008, 02:17 PM
cam138
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD II plug on my 95 wrx

hi everyone, can you tell me if there is an OBD ii plug on the classic 95? and if so where it is,

i have done the self diagnostic black connector thingys but it doesnt seem to come up with anything that ties in with the slight loss of power/hesitation it gets at low revs, like between 2 - 4k especially noticeable if you have the throttle steady then accelerate abit, so i want to try do a more detailed check, but neither me or the garage could find a plug!

any help much appreciated.
Old 14 September 2008, 11:32 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no OBD 2 socket on an early impreza.
You will need to take it to a garage that has a Select Monitor.

Coilpacks/plugs are normally a good place to start with hesitation problems
Old 14 September 2008, 12:34 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

Have you got vta dump valve?
Old 14 September 2008, 12:44 PM
cam138
Scooby Regular

cheers for that,
yeah the first time i checked it there were codes for throttle position sensor and knock sensor, but there was no cel light on. i cleared them and it was ok for a few days then it did thet fuel cut (over boost) thing whilst accelerating up a hill and you guessed it the cel light came on and when i checked it was the knock sensor.

i have had lots of different theories as to what it could be, o2 sensor, maf, idle control, boost selenoid, plugs etc. but at the same time iv been told that coils tend to just play up at high revs? it had the plugs changed in the service at the garage before i bought it 6 month ago.

it was all running sweet, then i had a shoulder opp and it was sat for 4 month, i started it once a week but couldnt drive. then one day when the fuel was real low i started it and it was real noisy, got told it was probably sucking air, so i put some petrol in and it was ok. then when i was driving again i filled up with esso 97 instead of bp97 and it run like crap, misfired and stuff. cleaned the maf and filled it back with bp and red ex injector cleaner and it seemed much beter, but still not right, mainly being the hesitation if move from constant revs, its even started doing it from below 2k now too.

the coils are hard to get out arent they? ive heard ppl say you have to take it off the engine mounts to get into them?
cheers
Old 14 September 2008, 12:53 PM
cam138
Scooby Regular

i got a hks induction kit and a collins bov, i fitted them round about the same time as the esso fuel, just before it started goin wrong.

so as soon as they appeared i did the self check even tho there were no cel light on, and as there were faults i took the filter and bov off and then re set the ecu, it just made the problem slightly less noticeable, it seems worse when cold. i figured it might have been the filter cos iv had flat spots with them before on VWs but it just has the standard paper filter in now n its still doin it.??????

ive heard boost valves can get sticky?
Old 14 September 2008, 04:27 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cleaning the boost solenoid out with brake/carb cleaner is meant to work but i've never had to do it.
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...-solenoid.html
Not too sure about the use of Redex stuff in impreza engines.
Coilpacks are fiddley to check but you don't have to remove the mounts normally on such and old car they can crack.