Notices

Quickie about knock sensors

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2008, 07:02 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quickie about knock sensors

hi, i have a JDM '97 WRX wagon and i'm wondering how generic knock sensors are? Are they the same for all 2l imprezas?? I heard they have differnt plugs..?

i'm very new to imprezas and as you can see i'm not too sure!

Thanks for reading
Ash
Old 21 April 2008, 11:56 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not exactly clear as to what you are asking Ash. The Subaru has its own knock sensor fitted at the rear near side of the block. This sends signals to the ECU.
For added protection of the engine, many owners add a Knock Link. This is a stand alone unit with its own Bosch Sensor, possibly the same as that already in use on the car. The K.L has a smallish black box and a series of five LEDs, two green, two orange and a red or white. There is also a sensitivity screw. The plan is to have good enough fuel/map so that you do not get any knock or DET as this is a bad thing. Lift off immediately on DET unless you want a damaged motor.
Old 21 April 2008, 12:13 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

thanks Harvey

What i was meaning was how interchangable are the knock sensors between models? e.g. will a '95 WRX sensor fit my JDM '97 WRX, etc (i'm looking on Ebay...)? I'm getting a code 22 (kock sensor), and even after resetting, running on V-power AND octane booster the CEL flashes back on with code 22. This is while driving though town at 30mph, very sensibly in 4th gea. MAF sensor has already been changed.
Old 21 April 2008, 07:34 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would expect that a M/Y 95 and M/Y 97 knock sensor on a Subaru would be the same. I buy very little from e bay because of the fake gear, theives etc.
Can you hear any unsatisfactory engine noise as you drive?
Does the light come on as you rev the engine when standing still?
Get a bit of pipe or hose. Place it on the engine and get someone else to open the throttle to the problem area rpm. One end of the pipe on the engine and listen in to the other end.
Old 22 April 2008, 04:17 PM
AshMurc
Scooby Regular

Thanks again mate. Took my girlfriend home through town yesterday and CEL never came on... gave it a thrash...fine! Reset ECU again went out and drove it earlier on- CEL never came on at any point through the rev-range. I suspect the MAF sensor was to blame and the replacement i got DOES work (certainly has stopped ideling at 2000rpm!). Maybe there was some dust or muck in the replacement MAF that got blown/burnt off after that first run yesterday?

Incidentally i never did hear any signs of det, although it is hard to hear if its not major i understand .

Thanks again, case closed!!
Ash