Bugeye Morette woes.

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2008, 03:09 PM
LC Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye Morette woes.

Hi All

Spent a good couple of hours over the weekend trying to sort a problem with my morette lights on a bugeye, how hard is it to just change a bulb I have more cuts and bruises on my arms than I get trying to brush the dogs (big dogs). First off I had a side light out and the other problem was they kept flickering the main beam lights on and off when only the dip was active. Hard it explain but I would drive along with dipped on and the main beam would flicker on and off for no reason.

Anyway seems I have fixed the problem but my question is if I was to replace the morette lights what would I replace them with and where to source the parts I would like some lights that the bulbs are easy to change and give a good light out put.

The morettes where fitted to the car when I bought it so I have no experiance with the OEM lights bad light out put, although I am not too impressed with morette dips if the OEM are worse then it must be like driving in the dark. I quite like the look of the JDM Sti lights but I guess from some commets that these are expensive and I guess hard to come by. Loads of cheap lights on ebay and I know you get what you pay for but I just don't want to spend half a day chageing bulbs everytime one goes on the morettes. A hid upgrade is a possibility would this work well with an OEM set up? Just need a bit of help from other bugeye owners out there that have tried a few different options.
Old 11 February 2008, 03:48 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

HIDs would be a very good upgrade. Will last far longer than normal/uprated bulbs too

https://www.scoobynet.com/group-buys...-groupbuy.html
Old 12 February 2008, 08:07 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

LC, im getting morettes fitted to mine(as soon as they`re painted) have ordered hid upgrade from bob5. most people on here that have them seem to rate them as vv good(except alcazar....)
Old 12 February 2008, 08:29 AM
LC Scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Chris

What lights are you running at the moment, standard bugeye's, if so is it easy to access the rear of the units to swap the bulbs out and how bad is the light output from these?

Thanks inadvance for the info.
Old 12 February 2008, 08:47 AM
borderlinechris
Scooby Regular

i got standard bugeye headlights at moment, access to bulbs is a bit fiddily, drivers side-have to move battery out way, passenger side-take off plastic air scoop and think that was it(was nearly a year ago i did it)replaced standard bulbs with upgraded ones from halfords, better than standard but still not what you would expect from a rally car.. the morettes look a lot better than standard(too toyota corrolla for my gf`s liking..)hence the morettes.some on here who have them say the light from morettes isnt great either so thats why i got the hids.
Old 12 February 2008, 01:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Std STI's units are not much better for access to change bulbs !

DunxC

P.S. HID kit will last ages and improve output ! Whilst using less electricity so a "green" mod ! Like we're bothered.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:39 PM
LC Scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replys, if I go down the hid route with the morettes any advatage in upgrading both dip and main, I know this will cost quite a bit but when petrols at 50 quid a tank I think I should be alright.

Plus I have read that once hids are fitted you are upgrade the side lights to leds as well, I used to have a set on my previous car (couple of years ago) and although they started white they where more blue than white and ended up been an mot fail have they moved on and are now more white than blue or not?

Sorry for all the questions, but never really needed the lights much as I worked through the day now moved to nights and can see the short falls of these lights.
Old 12 February 2008, 06:45 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

IMHO...if you are using main beam just to flash, then leave stick with standard bulbs for main beam. If however you are doing a reasonable amount of main beam driving, then HIDs will offer far better visibility and light.

Bob
Old 12 February 2008, 08:23 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The only HID's I advise against are the "b*stard" lamps as used in H4 kits for classic etc.

Others are fine, but DO be aware that NONE are legal, and you COULD risk failed MoT, fines, points on your license, seizure of vehicle, or even imprisonment if involved in an accident

Alcazar
Old 13 February 2008, 02:05 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Alcazar: You obviously have too much time on your hands jumping on every HID thread, with no first hand experience with the product in question

Why are you going on about H4 bulbs on a Bugeye HID thread? Its getting tiresome

There have been NO known cases of any the the scare mongering that you are going on about. Everybody seems to pass MOTs fine and haven't had issues with people flashing them if correctly fitted

We could go on about the same issues with most aftermarket brake pads that are not being approved for road use (you may well have some fitted to yours?), but its a pointless exercise without any previous known cases.

The simple fact of the matter is, the HIDs on bugeye and blobeye scoobs is a fantastic upgrade, the H4 setup has its limitations due to the design of the Subaru Classic headlamp, but is still the best option.

You didn't believe me when I said that I've not had a single person has flash me in the 1year+ that I have had my HIDs, but this statement has already been backed up by others and their experiences with the kits

I don't have the time to continue this everytime someone mentions HIDs, so please lets just leave it be

Cheers,

Bob
Old 13 February 2008, 10:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sorry !

Another vote with BOB'5

Not been flashed, easy to fit, light output is superb, and I know a "friendly" MOT tester,
just in case

Haven't got Morettes,but the HID kit will improve the quantity of light output.

DunxC
Old 18 February 2008, 04:04 PM
desiuke
Scooby Regular

I have morrettes in bugeye wiyh group buy hid 6000k and they are brill.As regards to changing bulbs or adjusting it's easier to take the headlamp unit out (with cables still attached)
Old 24 February 2008, 01:30 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Sorry to bump this up - but can anyone confirm the bulb sizes for the main and dipped in bugeye morrettes please?

I know I could go outside and pull them about, but the fact its a pain in the **** has already been highlighted!
Old 24 February 2008, 02:18 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

The only one's I've seen are H7 (dip) and H1 (main).

Not sure this covers all years of production tho'.

HTH

DunxC
Old 24 February 2008, 04:51 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Thanks - I should be able to double check that they're the right ones
Old 25 February 2008, 07:35 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

P.S. 4300 K main beam is "white", 6000 K is bluish and scatters in slightly misty conditions, just my honest opinion... 6000 K for dip beam is cool tho'.
HTH
DunxC
Old 26 February 2008, 11:03 PM
Andygreer
Scooby Regular

i have morelles and 6000k unit kit... Before i got the HID the ordinay bulbs were very very bad.

I find the easyerst way to do the bulbs is just to remove the lights its only three bolts on the bug eye and 4 on the blob eye

Andy
Old 28 February 2008, 05:22 PM
moto
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Prasius
Sorry to bump this up - but can anyone confirm the bulb sizes for the main and dipped in bugeye morrettes please?

I know I could go outside and pull them about, but the fact its a pain in the **** has already been highlighted!
H7 in headlamp
H1 in main beam
hope that helps