Notices

Prodrive Driving Lights fitting to MY01

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2001, 11:03 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi folks .... looking back all the way to April, there are various threads I see on which driving lights to get.
I have acquire some from David Reid Motorsport, the Prodrive ones, but am having some difficulty fitting 'em !!
Lights are in place, all wired up ... but no light !!
Now - I'm guessing I may be wired up to the wrong wire going into the drivers side headlamp - I went for a yellow wire with a blue stripe running down it.
Anyone out there fitted these to a MY01 and care to tell me which wire I'm supposed to connect the supplied switch to ?
And another question - did anyone else get supplied with two switches - one metal one and one plastic official looking one ?
Only one can be used ... so which one did you use ?

The joys of DIY light fitting.

Martin.

Old 20 December 2001, 08:20 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Martin

Unless for some strange reason you want to be able to switch them off independantly whilst on main beam, the switches should not be used. They should be hardwired with a permanent feed direct from the battery and triggered by the main beam current.

Assuming lamps/battery feed/earth etc wired correctly, the main beam trigger wire is the yellow one. If you look at the rubber covered wiring plug that connects to the back of the headlamp bulb, it is the top one of the three. The trigger wire from the relay needs to be spliced into this one. Soldering is best, but at a pinch a Scotchlok will do as it is only a relay trigger and carries no load. Otherwise, Scotchloks are an abomination and should not be used!

[Edited by Dave T-S - 12/20/2001 8:22:53 AM]
Old 20 December 2001, 07:17 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

That all sounds good.

There is no cable to connect to the headlamp though ?????

The only cable i can see is if you use one of switches cables to connect into the relay, and into the headlamp. The switch is then only an override for the driving lights whereby they'd be on with full beam of the switch was on, and off with the full beam if the switch is off.
They couldn't be on without the Full Beam. But the kit is only supplied with these switches. There seems to be no other way of connecting the relay to the full beam wire,

Brief summary.
Relay wired to the +ve battery. Both earths from the driving lamps are screwed to the car body (as they don't reach the battery -ve terminal).
The earth from relay also goes to car body.
Out of the relay is one other wire with a connector after 2 inches. There are two switches supplied , both of which have a connector to fit into that. And i presume they then get Scotchlok'd to the full beam wire, which I've done.

So at the end of the day - looks like no lights working then.
Hmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the advice though. Any advice is appreciated !!
Old 20 December 2001, 09:11 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Martin
The loom normally supplied with PIAA's is a universal one not suited to the Impreza - hence the earth return does not reach the battery. Ideally it is better extended so the earth reaches the battery earth terminal. Earthing them to the body is ok providing it has a clean shiny metal connection to earth.

Ignore all the switches. Assuming you have the PIAA PH-4FD relay, the main beam trigger is the thin white wire that comes out of the relay and terminates in the bullet connector about 50mm out of the relay.

Assuming you are mounting the relay close to a headlamp, take one of the thin switch wires supplied in the kit with a bullet on the end of it, cut the wire about 200mm from the bullet, plug this into the white wire bullet out of the relay, and connect the end of this wire with a Scotchlok to the yellow main beam wire as described in my earlier post.

Make sure the relay earth (red/black wire) is also connected to a good bare metal earth.

They should now work......
Old 21 December 2001, 08:07 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Dave - will give it a shot while I'm away on my hols next week ... much appreciated.
Its good to know exactly what cable to use ... and even better knowing I can ignore all the switches.

The earth I used for all the earth connections is the earthing point which actually comes round from the battery negative onto the body near the passenger side headlamp. I'm hoping if its good enough for the battery to earth to, its good enough for the other earths.

Fingers crossed for me getting to the Scotchlock and taking it off, to use again.

Out of interest - is there any reason why you have to be wired into the drivers side headlight, or can it just as happily be the passenger side (easier to get to) headlight you Scotchlok into ?
I have a feeling you might know this better than me !!!

Old 21 December 2001, 09:14 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Martin
Your earth point should be fine.

I have the relay situated on the passenger side - cos that's as far as the wiring will reach! Technically, it will work on either side by picking up the main beam current on either side.

Fingers crossed!
Old 30 December 2001, 01:07 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Sorted.

Ta fo the advice.

Took 2 minutes to complete the job !!

And they're fabby too !!