Can't get HIDs working

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2007, 06:17 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get HIDs working

Hi all - a bit baffled with this one...

Bought a HID kit for my JDM MY03 - you're probably asking why when it is a JDM, but unfortunately for some unknown reason mine doesn't have the HID's

Simply put, the kit worked wonders on my mates M3, with no problems at all. Came to fit it to my scoob, and low and behold no go.

So... with everything plugged in, ignition running, everything as it should be no light what so ever - however the other side with the standard head light was working.

All fuses were fine, and to check the kit wasn't fault i attached the pos and neg on batt ...and it worked!

put the kit back in the head light, attach it to the loom and nothing...
tried a relay and this didn't work either.

any suggestions?
Old 24 February 2007, 09:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You need to identify which wire from the headlight is carrying current when a) dip beam, and b) main beam is working, then ensure that these two are connected to the relevant parts of the HID setup. I'd suggest a multimeter, or a simple circuit tester.

Alcazar
Old 25 February 2007, 12:38 AM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

think i need a relay/harness to get them to work, anyone else heard of this - not enough power getting to the bulb via the loom.
Old 25 February 2007, 12:34 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Check the polarity (+ve and earth are the right way round).

With the standard headlights Subaru switch the negative and have constant 12V on the other side. And if you wire the ballasts up the wrong way round they don't work. Check when it's wired to the car that the same wire is seeing 12V as when you wire it direct to the battery. You really need a meter for this.

HID's take less current than normal headlights once running so there shouldn't be an issue with standard wiring holding it back (but they do take more as they strike the arc when you first turn them on). But if there was a problem with the HID taking more current than the wiring could supply the fuse would blow to protect the wiring so it can't be that.

After saying all that I'll contradict myself and say that really you would be better off fitting a relay, if only to cope with the high inrush current as you first switch it on.
Old 26 February 2007, 12:25 PM
BigChris84
Scooby Regular

well turns out it was a simple fix.

The main "grey" connector which attached to the back of the head light had been cut about 1 inch in, and a 2nd connector was inplace with small wiring - looked like a bit of SVA wiring to me, so simply got rid of that, and it was sorted!

thanks all for your help.