Notices

ignition barrel

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2007, 06:40 PM
jonesyscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition barrel

while driving home from work the keys dropped from the ignition and the car was still running so i pulled over and the keys were on the floor? so i drove it home with no key in the ignition as i just wanted to get home in it! had a look and it seems i can start thecar with the key then pull the key out from position 3 on the barrel? is the barrel worn? any help appreciated because to me it seems a little unsecure

thanks
Old 11 January 2007, 07:27 PM
Yamarashi
Scooby Regular

Obviously it shouldnt come out while the car is running.
Can any other keys start the car? or god forbid a screwdriver as it does sound like there is a problem with the ignition barrel. Either it is very worn or the tumblers are jammed/missing.

If somethings not right with the barrel I'd get it checked out not only from security point of view but from a safety point as you wouldn't want the engine to cut out or the steering lock to engage whilst driving!!
Old 11 January 2007, 08:57 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Yamarashi
Obviously it shouldnt come out while the car is running.
Can any other keys start the car? or god forbid a screwdriver as it does sound like there is a problem with the ignition barrel. Either it is very worn or the tumblers are jammed/missing.

If somethings not right with the barrel I'd get it checked out not only from security point of view but from a safety point as you wouldn't want the engine to cut out or the steering lock to engage whilst driving!!
yes i second that to see the consequences of the steering lock coming on whilst the car is moving have a look at what happened to a car andy f was tuning do a search bad look in threes
Old 13 January 2007, 11:50 AM
Smiler1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Keys on the floor

got to say mine has done that since it was imported (MY94 WRX) - the lock wont come back on unless the ignition is turned back - but I always pop them back in if they drop out.

Had the car over 8 years now without a problem and it can be handy as you can leave the car runing and take the keys and lock the door while you pop in the house when you forget something

only thing to watch will be to make sure you turn the ignition off all the way - as I have come back to a flat battery once or twice

Iain
Old 13 January 2007, 06:02 PM
coulty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Smiler1
got to say mine has done that since it was imported (MY94 WRX) - the lock wont come back on unless the ignition is turned back - but I always pop them back in if they drop out.

Had the car over 8 years now without a problem and it can be handy as you can leave the car runing and take the keys and lock the door while you pop in the house when you forget something

only thing to watch will be to make sure you turn the ignition off all the way - as I have come back to a flat battery once or twice

Iain
LOL....ditto!