Notices

Driving Light Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2006, 11:33 AM
DJC75
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Driving Light Questions

I have a bug eye WRX, and would like to see a little more at night than the standard headlights allow. Firstly, I'm going to replace the standard bulbs, so any recommendations would be welcome.

Secondly, I want to change the fog lights to something a little more useful. Ideally I'd like the 100w Prodrive driving lamps that are a direct replacement for the fogs, but at over £200, these seem a bit pricey. Is there any way that you can just uprate the bulbs in the fog lights, or are the reflectors the wrong shape for driving lights?

I know of someone selling the PIAA driving lights from a Classic. I take it that these won't fit a bug eye?

Lastly, any other suggestions for how I could improve the lights would be welcome. eg, in my old Mk2 Golf, the standard wiring loom was poor and gave a 3 volt drop from the battery to the light. A modified wiring loom resulted in about a 0.1 volt drop and dramatically improved the lights.

Cheers
Dave
Old 03 November 2006, 01:22 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Philips visionplus headlamp bulbs from Powerbulbs if you want to stay legal

If you replace the fogs with driving lights then you will need to rewire so that they go off when you dip the main beams.

Why don't Subaru fit driving lights as standard? because the fogs only get used a couple of times a year
Old 03 November 2006, 01:25 PM
DJC75
Scooby Newbie

Exactly, how often do you need fog lights? The standard fogs are pretty big, but only shine a couple of feet in front of the car. I'd rather have driving lights, and put up with a little less visibility when it is actually foggy.

Dave
Old 03 November 2006, 01:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Firstly, I agree with the uselessness of foglights. Those on the scoob are just awful.

Secondly, you can rewire so they come on with main beam, and go off with dip, but as posted, they don't give enough light to warrant doing it

Not sure if the classic driving lights would fit a bug, but my guess is yes. They WON'T fir much later models, blobeye etc, IIRC, but I'm about 95% certain they will fit a bug

Philips Vision plus, or GE Megalights are good bulb upgrades.

Lastly, there was quite a longn thread on here about 18 months ago about relaying your headlights and avoiding the voltsdrop you mentioned.

A search might turn it up............

Found it:
https://www.scoobynet.com/lighting-o...ighlight=relay

Alcazar
Old 03 November 2006, 03:02 PM
DJC75
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Alcazar. I've just spent a pleasant hour a work searching the forum on this, and it seems that your name pops up routinely on this topic! I might have to trouble you with a few more questions before I get the lights sorted.

Cheers
Dave
Old 03 November 2006, 05:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJC75
Thanks Alcazar. I've just spent a pleasant hour a work searching the forum on this, and it seems that your name pops up routinely on this topic! I might have to trouble you with a few more questions before I get the lights sorted.

Cheers
Dave
OK by me

Thinking back, I had a set of the Hella/Prodrive 1000ff driving lights on my car some years back, before selling them and buying the HID version.

The originals came from TSL, and WOULD fit a bugeye too, so it's 99.9% certain the ones for sale will fit your car.

Alcazar
Old 04 November 2006, 10:11 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Philips visionplus headlamp bulbs from Powerbulbs if you want to stay legal

If you replace the fogs with driving lights then you will need to rewire so that they go off when you dip the main beams.

Why don't Subaru fit driving lights as standard? because the fogs only get used a couple of times a year
Thanks for this info
I have just ordered some of these for both main and dipped beams.
Its nice to see they are Auto Express winners too!
What do you think to them speedking? Is there a big difference?
Old 04 November 2006, 02:15 PM
Mal K
Scooby Regular

I had the Prodrive Hellas together with the Philips Vision Plus and it made a hell of a difference. My old WRX.

Old 05 November 2006, 12:57 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Whiter light and a definite improvement in visibility. However, not that long lasting, about 20000 miles Must fit the matching sidelights, or they look really yellow.
Old 05 November 2006, 09:21 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

I have to say that my experience of them, in the OE classic scoob headlights, was that they were not a lot better than the OE bulbs

Once I got them in my Morettes, though..........more light where it OUGHT to be!

Alcazar