Notices

MOT Question OLD LIGHTS

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2006, 08:10 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT Question OLD LIGHTS

My 205 failed its MOT on not having a good enough light pattern on headlamps due to reflectors being old.
I am sure the Bloke is having me on, esp. when he said he would charge £100 per light per side to install and set up!!!
They look perfectly good to me and even dazzle my eyes if I look at them.
Going try a 2nd MOT place and report theses guys if I pass.
Any thoughts!!!
Old 11 September 2006, 08:38 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Get a daytime MOT and you don't need any lights at all. Strange but true. Check the regs:

"This inspection applies to: all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with an advisory notice recording the above and it should also be recorded on the carbon copy of the VT20."

If you'e keeping the lights then the reasons given for failure are:

"An obligatory main or dipped beam headlamp
a. not in good working order and in clean condition, ie damaged or deteriorated to such an extent that

. the light output is well below that required to illuminate the road ahead, or
. the beam image is adversely affected"

Only you can judge if this is the case but doesn't sound like it. I always make sure the garage doing my MOTs know they won't get any repair work out of me, that I'll do any repairs myself, perhaps that reduces the number of failures they find?
Old 11 September 2006, 08:52 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

As good as the Scooby lights on dark lanes.
Old 13 September 2006, 05:28 PM
aggs
Scooby Regular

Went to another place.
Car passed with flying colours.
Old 13 September 2006, 07:52 PM
gaz-cole
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chelspeed
Get a daytime MOT and you don't need any lights at all. Strange but true. Check the regs:

"This inspection applies to: all vehicles, except those which either have no front or rear position lamps or have such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are
. only used during daylight hours, and
. not used at times of seriously reduced visibility.

If this situation occurs, the vehicle presenter should be issued with an advisory notice recording the above and it should also be recorded on the carbon copy of the VT20."

If you'e keeping the lights then the reasons given for failure are:

"An obligatory main or dipped beam headlamp
a. not in good working order and in clean condition, ie damaged or deteriorated to such an extent that

. the light output is well below that required to illuminate the road ahead, or
. the beam image is adversely affected"

Only you can judge if this is the case but doesn't sound like it. I always make sure the garage doing my MOTs know they won't get any repair work out of me, that I'll do any repairs myself, perhaps that reduces the number of failures they find?
isnt a daytime mot for things such as moto x bikes for going between track and home etc, surely if you had a daytime mot on a road vehicle with lights and mr pc dibble pulled you at night and was up to date/ on the ball and spotted this he would pull big stick out and you know what happens next
Old 20 September 2006, 11:02 AM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

It's most often used on bikes, moto-X very likely, my experience is vintage and veterans that never had lights from new. But the rules are there to be exploited. Some sprint guys with Caterhams etc are thinking of doing it to remove the unaerodynamic headlights but still stay in road going classes.

Of course if your car has lights fitted and working then they need to work properly to get an MOT but if there are none fitted or the ones fitted are "permanently disconnected, painted over or masked" then you comply with the rules I quoted from the MOT manual.

No doubt you will have hassle from BiB who can't ever know all of the rules they have to enforce but in the end they will have to back down because you are right.
Old 20 September 2006, 05:48 PM
thedrill
Scooby Regular

Default LIGHTS

Spot on about the lighting laws, it also applies to windscreens and wipers if they are removed they cannot fail the test.