Notices

Can anyone help me fit my HID's - Dorset?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2006, 02:39 PM
Jacey Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me fit my HID's - Dorset?

I live in Dorset and need a hand fitting some HID's to my Type UK STi, I gave it ago last saturday but after spending 2 hours taking the passenger headlamp out and wiring in the hid's they didnt work.

I contacted the person who sold them to me and they said its probably because the wires are reverse polarity, ie. black is possitve and red is negative!

Can someone help me out?
Old 11 April 2006, 11:50 PM
Chelspeed
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not in Dorset but give me more info and I'll see if I can suggest anything. I've got HID's on an 04 STi so very similar.

Did your new HID set up have a relay or was the power supply to the ballast wired direct into the plug that used to go onto the old conventional bulb? Are you converting dip, main or both? Got any wiring diagrams that you were following?

To be honest I think what you were told is probably along the right lines. All other cars I've ever worked on have the earth permanently connected to one side of the bulb and switch the 12V side. Subaru do the opposite. Confused the hell out of me the first time. Will make aftermarket relay based HID's all confused. But once you know what's wrong fairly easy to resolve.